The Student Room Group

Find your uni chat here! Where are you applying? UCAS Applications Thread 2018

Below is a list of subject and university-specific application threads which you might like to get involved in. **List will be updated as and when new threads are posted** Click Show Spoiler below and the links will appear:

University Applicant Threads:

Spoiler

Subject Applicant Threads:

Spoiler

Introduce yourself and tell us where you're applying.

Course:
Universities:
A level / IB / Higher grades:
GCSE grades:
Extracurriculars:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I'm Erin, an international student and apparently the first one in this thread (I might be slightly too excited for uni lol)

Course: Neuroscience
Universities: Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Dundee (can't afford the UK, so Scotland it is lol)
A level / IB / Higher grades: I'm gonna try to get 8/10 on the Dutch VWO, but not sure if I'll manage
Extracurriculars: theatre, piano at quite a high level, school paper

I'm going to start writing my personal statement somewhere this summer, then when school starts again ask someone to write my reference... not sure who I should ask though. Who are you guys asking to write a reference?
Reply 2
Nice thread! :smile:

Hello! I'm a Swedish/EU student. My name is Manne (don't attempt to pronounce it:biggrin:).

Course: Computer Science
Universities: Edinburgh, Manchester, Bristol (like Erin, I'm aiming for the beautiful tuition subsidy in Scotland:u:)
A level / IB / Higher grades: Aiming for 18.7/20 as Swedish GPA.
Extracurriculars: Windsurfing, computer programming, piano

I'm currently working on my personal statement (first draft). Still deciding on which two universities to add to my list. I'm probably going to ask my physics teacher to write me a reference.

Original post by hysterria
Hi! I'm Erin, an international student and apparently the first one in this thread (I might be slightly too excited for uni lol)

Course: Neuroscience
Universities: Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Dundee (can't afford the UK, so Scotland it is lol)
A level / IB / Higher grades: I'm gonna try to get 8/10 on the Dutch VWO, but not sure if I'll manage
Extracurriculars: theatre, piano at quite a high level, school paper

I'm going to start writing my personal statement somewhere this summer, then when school starts again ask someone to write my reference... not sure who I should ask though. Who are you guys asking to write a reference?

I think reference writer should be a teacher who teaches in a subject that's related to the course you're applying for. Best referee in that sense would probably be the biology teacher, or possibly chemistry teacher.

Although, I'm choosing referee based foremost on personal connection.
Original post by Maivnek

I think reference writer should be a teacher who teaches in a subject that's related to the course you're applying for. Best referee in that sense would probably be the biology teacher, or possibly chemistry teacher.

Although, I'm choosing referee based foremost on personal connection.

Agreed, at the moment there's three people I'm considering: my counsellor, who knows me best academically and is supposed to help me with this kind of stuff, my biology teacher, who I get along with quite well and of course teaches a relevant subject, and my English teacher, who I've known since I started high school and knows a lot about studying in the UK (also she's the only one who'd be able to write a reference in decent English...). I guess I'll think it through over summer

And yay, you're applying to Edinburgh too! I don't think I'll get in though, seeing as I meet the "minimum" entry requirements and not the standard ones... Do you think you'll get in?

(and btw, I tried pronouncing your name, think it went quite well :biggrin:. I've lived in Norway for two years, think the languages are quite similar?)
Reply 4
Agreed, at the moment there's three people I'm considering: my counsellor, who knows me best academically and is supposed to help me with this kind of stuff, my biology teacher, who I get along with quite well and of course teaches a relevant subject, and my English teacher, who I've known since I started high school and knows a lot about studying in the UK (also she's the only one who'd be able to write a reference in decent English...). I guess I'll think it through over summer

And yay, you're applying to Edinburgh too! I don't think I'll get in though, seeing as I meet the "minimum" entry requirements and not the standard ones... Do you think you'll get in?

(and btw, I tried pronouncing your name, think it went quite well :biggrin:. I've lived in Norway for two years, think the languages are quite similar?)

Well, the people you mentioned are certainly great referee candidates... I would've picked the counsellor if I were you... The statement you write will convince them of your interest in neuroscience/biology. The statement your referee writes will convince them of your more general qualities like time management skills, organisational skills, etc. Any of the people you mentioned seems like very good referees and won't say no.

I'm choosing my physics teacher because a) he's brittish / been through the UCAS process, b) he's the most approachable (least likely to say no), c) teaches the class in which I excel the greatest.

Edinburgh is absolutely my dream uni. Best course / facilities / tuition:tongue: / city for me. My chances of getting an offer are pretty slim though. My grades are well above their min entry requirements but don't reach typical offer requirements. And Computer Science there is pretty competetive too. Well, one can hope:u:.

And I'm sure you got my name perfectly. Norweigans are pronounce it the same way as Swedish people do. Americans are surely the worst at it. They just say "Man"...:biggrin:
Original post by Maivnek
Well, the people you mentioned are certainly great referee candidates... I would've picked the counsellor if I were you... The statement you write will convince them of your interest in neuroscience/biology. The statement your referee writes will convince them of your more general qualities like time management skills, organisational skills, etc. Any of the people you mentioned seems like very good referees and won't say no.

I'm choosing my physics teacher because a) he's brittish / been through the UCAS process, b) he's the most approachable (least likely to say no), c) teaches the class in which I excel the greatest.

Edinburgh is absolutely my dream uni. Best course / facilities / tuition:tongue: / city for me. My chances of getting an offer are pretty slim though. My grades are well above their min entry requirements but don't reach typical offer requirements. And Computer Science there is pretty competetive too. Well, one can hope:u:.

And I'm sure you got my name perfectly. Norweigans are pronounce it the same way as Swedish people do. Americans are surely the worst at it. They just say "Man"...:biggrin:

I think you're right, and whoever I choose I will help through the process - I'm probably just going to tell them what kind of stuff they should write about, and maybe I'll even predict my own grades :tongue:

I really like Edinburgh too, for what I've seen on the website at least! The city seems absolutely lovely, have you ever been there?

Glasgow also seems great to me though, they have a very nice flexible degree system for life sciences which is an advantage since I'm not entirely sure about Neuroscience :colondollar:.

Well, if you're gonna study in the UK, I'm sure everyone's going to mispronounce your name... it might be interesting to see how creative people can get?

And well, my name's Erin which seems like an English name only it's pronounced differently in Dutch, but I guess I'll just have to accept the fact that people are going to pronounce it the English way... :biggrin:
Reply 6
I'm probably just going to tell them what kind of stuff they should write about, and maybe I'll even predict my own grades :tongue:

Haha :biggrin: the perks of applying from outside the UK.

For me, everything about the Edinburgh uni appeals to me. I've been in many places in the UK, but never in Edinburgh. It seems super nice though. Let's hope the admission tutors of Edinburgh are feeling generous this year! :wink:

Uni of Glasgow looks fabulous. Will probably apply there just for the hogwarts-like aesthetics. Definitely has a more university feel to it as compared to Edinburgh.

Good luck and let's hope we get in! :top:
Original post by Maivnek

For me, everything about the Edinburgh uni appeals to me. I've been in many places in the UK, but never in Edinburgh. It seems super nice though. Let's hope the admission tutors of Edinburgh are feeling generous this year! :wink:

Uni of Glasgow looks fabulous. Will probably apply there just for the hogwarts-like aesthetics. Definitely has a more university feel to it as compared to Edinburgh.

I am a recent graduate of Glasgow and can vouch for the hogwarts feel to the place! :P
Original post by Maivnek

Thanks, good luck to you too! :tops:

I think Glasgow is so beautiful, indeed the hogwarts-like aesthetics. Would be amazing to study in such a place...
Original post by mangatardallys
I am a recent graduate of Glasgow and can vouch for the hogwarts feel to the place! :P

Ooh nice, did you enjoy your time at Glasgow? And what course did you do? :smile:
Ooh nice, did you enjoy your time at Glasgow? And what course did you do? :smile:

Aye, I had a wonderful time! It is a great university steeped in tradition, with all of the facilities and opportunities you need to thrive. I studied psychology. :smile:
Reply 11
Hi , I'm Zeeshan and a future commercial solicitor.

Course: Law
Universities: Leeds, York, Leeds Beckett, Huddersfield and Manchester Met or Newcastle
A level / IB / Higher grades: Predicted AAB/ABB
GCSE grades: 1A,4Bs,2Cs, 1D. (I used to wake up at 2pm on the weekend before my exams. Lets say I learned my lesson about actually revising properly for my exams:tongue:)
Extracurriculars: I attend the Leeds Uni Reach for Excellence Scheme
Addleshaw Goddard's Legal Social Mobility Partnership( spent a week in their offices and doing another week in July in their clients in-house teams)
Get mentored by a Solicitor at a firm in Leeds( yesterday got help from him about the backbone of my PS)
Took part in a Mock Trial at College
There's other stuff but can't think of them:u:
Reply 12
Hi, I'm Amy

Course: Natural sciences
Universities: Bath, Bristol, York, Loughborough
A level predicted: A*A*A
GCSE grades: 12 A*s
Extracurriculars: Piano, swimming, part time job, volunteering
Hey everyone,

Firstly, Maths and CompSci at Oxford, Imperial, KCL, Durham, Bath. (Subject to change :wink: )

So I had an idea to create a private chat with 4-5 people (depending on the number of replies) who are really determined to get into their 1st choice in the 2018 cycle and just share experiences with revision and application, as well as hobbies and other stuff. Some might end up at the same uni :wink:
If you're interested, please PM me.
Hey, I'm Holly.

Course: Policing and Criminal Investigation
Universities: Chester, Edge Hill, UCLAN, Cumbria and Birmingham
A level / IB / Higher grades: Aiming for B's in Criminology, Psychology and Sociology.
GCSE grades: A in History, A* in English Literature, A in English Language, B in additional science, c in science, B in spanish, b in media, c in geography, b in drama and a B in further additional science
Extracurriculars: nothing really but I'm starting going to the gym
Original post by holly12310ty
Hey, I'm Holly.

Course: Policing and Criminal Investigation
Universities: Chester, Edge Hill, UCLAN, Cumbria and Birmingham
A level / IB / Higher grades: Aiming for B's in Criminology, Psychology and Sociology.
GCSE grades: A in History, A* in English Literature, A in English Language, B in additional science, c in science, B in spanish, b in media, c in geography, b in drama and a B in further additional science
Extracurriculars: nothing really but I'm starting going to the gym

I went to uclan and a friend of mine studied that course:smile:
Original post by claireestelle
I went to uclan and a friend of mine studied that course:smile:

Do you know if they enjoyed it/found the course beneficial? :smile:
Original post by holly12310ty
Do you know if they enjoyed it/found the course beneficial? :smile:

They decided not to go into that field but yes they enjoyed the course, I think they particularly liked the fake crime houses.
Original post by claireestelle
They decided not to go into that field but yes they enjoyed the course, I think they particularly liked the fake crime houses.

Ah, thank you very much :smile:
Hello everyone, I'm an international student from Malaysia. :smile:

Course: English Literature
Universities: Oxford, York, Birmingham, UEA, Exeter (subject to change, I'm also applying for other unis not in the U.K.)
A level / IB / Higher grades: I got 4As in AS (English Literature, Mathematics, Law and Business), I've already taken my A2 so I'll be a post-qualifications/gap year applicant
[Update 5/9/2017 : my A2 grades are AAABa, with the a in General Paper]
GCSE grades: 7A+ 3A 1B+ (SPM grades instead of GCSE grades, since I'm from Malaysia)
Extracurriculars: Reading (novels and comics), writing short stories and occasionally poetry etc.
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest