Free pads & tampons project Watch

alienvoid
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
hi everyone (this is mainly for girls but any boys willing to help out are entirely welcome!)

i believe that women shouldn't have to pay for sanitary products anywhere.
in the UK, pads and tampons are taxed under the 'luxury items' category (rather than necessities such as toilet paper), and we pay pounds every month for products because we can't get them anywhere else. the average woman will spend thousands of pounds on sanitary products in her life despite the fact that we can't control our periods or just 'turn them off', and they are a completely natural function of the female body. women are mocked for their periods, with an angry woman often told she's 'just on her period', large amounts of shame surrounding the periods of young girls, and the majority of boys have no idea what a period even is.
the sanitary towel and tampon industry (always, natracare, and own-brand supermarket products) gains extortionate amounts of money purely from women, selling them the necessary items not to bleed everywhere. the owners of these companies are men who have become stupidly rich not through hard work and helping people, but profiting off those in need of something to stop them bleeding all over the floor. david s. taylor, the CEO of procter and gamble (the company that owns Always pads) is a multimillionaire, yet some of the very poorest women in the UK buy the pads his company owns for a price that nobody, rich or poor, should have to pay.
as toilet paper is widely available in public toilets, so should pads and tampons be. through direct action and our own generosity we can, as girls and women, provide pads in public, so that the poorest women need not pay for a basic necessity, so that girls don't need to waste pocket money, so women on their way to work, women at the gym, homeless women, disabled women, refugee women, all women can for the first time have a pad for free.
this project needs every girl reading this to take action, and today.

in loos open to many people, (gyms, pools, restaurants, universities, schools, job centres, blocks of flats, cafes, mcdonalds etc) we are going to leave our spare (clean and unused !!!) pads in the cubicle with a note explaining the project. have a dig around your bag and the next time you're in a toilet, leave whatever you have on a ledge/somewhere in the cubicle, with a note stuck on the door telling people to take as many as they need, and asking for donations to keep up a pile of free pads/tampons for all women.
i have already done this in multiple loos. it is not illegal, and is helping women economically and socially. girls in the UK are missing school because they can't afford tampons/pads, using socks and newspaper instead, which leads to infection and having to skip weeks of education. homeless women simply cannot buy them at all. regardless of your politics you should believe that sanitation is a right, not a privilege. in a society where you need to spend money for sanitation, considering some do not have any money at all, sanitary care has become a privilege. and women have been protesting this issue for years, yet we can't just Get The Law To Change, we need to do this ourselves because no politician cares enough to help. (that said, please vote labour)!!

please, please share this thread with your friends, and spread the word around schools and universities, share it on instagram, collect up your pads/tampons/liners and go around town leaving them in toilets. do remember to stick a note nearby explaining.

and, if you ever come across a loo with free pads/tampons in it, take as many as you need if you're on your period.

together we can topple the industry profiting off women's bodies and blood.

you don't need to be a feminist to agree with this or do this. i am not a feminist because of issues within the current movement. if you've ever had a period you should understand why this is such a big issue.

please support this movement and give out free pads and tampons this week.
Blair.Waldorf
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
lmao why should they be free? they're not a necessity. you don't see women in third world countries whining about free tampons, there are bigger issues...
Jackieox
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by alienvoid)

in loos open to many people, (gyms, pools, restaurants, universities, schools, job centres, blocks of flats, cafes, mcdonalds etc)
i have already done this in multiple loos. it is not illegal,
It's not illegal but what about the places that are cleaned frequently, I know at my uni gym is there is tampons/pads left on the side they'll just get chucked out, same with when I worked at Pizza express...

Good idea though!
alienvoid
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blair.Waldorf)
lmao why should they be free? they're not a necessity. you don't see women in third world countries whining about free tampons, there are bigger issues...
they should be free, just like toilet paper is in public loos.
i know there are bigger issues but poverty still affects women in the UK and this is one of the main issues still affecting women and girls today.

if you have a problem with this project, simply don't support it. this thread is not a debate, it is simply a project i've started, and if there's a problem just leave and do something else rather than distracting anyone from the main point i made with nitpicky arguments.
i don't mean to be rude, just don't try and cause a fight when you don't need to. i respect your view, and there are many bigger issues, yet this could only cause positive change and i don't see how giving out the odd pad is 1) a problem 2) ignoring bigger issues or 3) causing harm. if you can't save the world just make small steps whenever possible. this is a small easy idea. we can combat bigger issues AND help with this issue (which is in fact quite big in itself; poor women in our country not being able to access basic hygiene items).
ThePricklyOne
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Women in the 3rd re-use dirty linen as tampons / towels at the risk of getting infections, or they don't go to school / work when they have a period. They can't go out with a period due to the lack of private toilet facilities and no where to clean the themselves. Sanitary protection is a big issue over there and the lack of it hold back a lot of women/girls.
alienvoid
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jackieox)
It's not illegal but what about the places that are cleaned frequently, I know at my uni gym is there is tampons/pads left on the side they'll just get chucked out, same with when I worked at Pizza express...

Good idea though!
good point, thanks for the support!!

literally just have a go, i know a lot will get removed BUT at least 1 in 10 women at any one time are on their period, and there are enough women that need them that they'll all get taken before a cleaner comes in. and who knows, the cleaner might need them herself. i work in a pool and i would take them if they'd been distributed.

give it a try!
alienvoid
Rep:
?
(Original post by ThePricklyOne)
Women in the 3rd re-use dirty linen as tampons / towels at the risk of getting infections, or they don't go to school / work when they have a period. They can't go out with a period due to the lack of private toilet facilities and no where to clean the themselves. Sanitary protection is a big issue over there and the lack of it hold back a lot of women/girls.
agreed. however a bit of help in the UK would benefit homeless/poor women here too, and it can only help. if you want to focus on sanitary care in developing countries, i wish you luck and support, and hope you realise that helping in the UK, although not such a prevalent issue, helps too. 1st world and 3rd world issues are not either-or. you can help in both, this is just an idea to help girls and women in the UK.
Blair.Waldorf
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by alienvoid)
they should be free, just like toilet paper is in public loos.
i know there are bigger issues but poverty still affects women in the UK and this is one of the main issues still affecting women and girls today.

if you have a problem with this project, simply don't support it. this thread is not a debate, it is simply a project i've started, and if there's a problem just leave and do something else rather than distracting anyone from the main point i made with nitpicky arguments.
i don't mean to be rude, just don't try and cause a fight when you don't need to. i respect your view, and there are many bigger issues, yet this could only cause positive change and i don't see how giving out the odd pad is 1) a problem 2) ignoring bigger issues or 3) causing harm. if you can't save the world just make small steps whenever possible. this is a small easy idea. we can combat bigger issues AND help with this issue (which is in fact quite big in itself; poor women in our country not being able to access basic hygiene items).
nothing against your project or what you just said I just don't think they should be free (in or out of public toilets) - don't you think people would take them regardless of their financial stability - like they would just run out v quick? and I wasn't trying to be rude sorry if I came across that way
alienvoid
Rep:
?
seriously this is not a debate thread guys if you support this then give a bit of support, if you want to argue why are you on here in the first place xxx
alienvoid
Rep:
?
nothing against your project or what you just said I just don't think they should be free (in or out of public toilets) - don't you think people would take them regardless of their financial stability - like they would just run out v quick? and I wasn't trying to be rude sorry if I came across that way
it doesn't matter if they run out fast as long as someone somewhere gets to not have to waste cash on something like this. i do see the flaw that someone might just grab them all, but again this is only an idea, and an experiment, and i think it would overall do good in this country.
alienvoid
Rep:
?
any thoughts?
Bigalpartydude
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi there i have become a donation point for packs of pads, liners and tampons,

If you have any that you can donate then dm me where to send your parcels

As I have a 40ft container that can store lots of parcels before they are sent to another warehouse to be sorted to Sent to refuges, foodbanks and charity groups that send to poor countries that ladies and girls need
Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I spend way too much on tampons and pads that I simply can't hand out free ones. I need them myself :lol:

Better to campaign for them being taken off the luxury items list imo.
SoulfulTwist
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm sorry but I need these myself. Costs too much as it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
bobby147
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Airmed)
I spend way too much on tampons and pads that I simply can't hand out free ones. I need them myself :lol:

Better to campaign for them being taken off the luxury items list imo.
(Original post by starfab)
I'm sorry but I need these myself. Costs too much as it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are tampons really that expensive :eek:?
username2950448
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So the only legitimate concerns according to you are those that the most vulnerable people in the world suffer, anything above that is not worth our time or attention?

Just because it isn't the "biggest" issue in the world (however you wish to define this) doesn't mean it isn't an issue worthy of our attention and efforts to resolve.

Your pathetic attitude disgusts me.
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by bobby147)
Depends on the branding really, but when you are having 3, 5, 7 or 11 week periods like I tend to do (even with medical advice doled out), it starts to add up.

I'm 20. I've been having my period for 10 years now. The UK average for woman spending on period-related products is £492. I would reckon mine is a bit more than that. God save me. :lol:
chelseadagg3r
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by bobby147)
They really add up. I knew a couple of girls in school who would leave them in too long because they couldn't afford more than one box each month, and it's pretty dangerous to do that. It's really sad, to be honest. In public loos, when you need more of an emergency one, they can be £1 each or £2 for two. I would imagine more in places like train stations or cities. It's mad. Say you have to change about every 4 hours, that's 5-6 in a 24 hour period. Say 5, because of sleep, though generally then you might use a pad which I'm too tired to factor into the cost So 5 a day for 7 days, that's 35 tampons. That means 2 packs at least. Where I live, you're looking about £3 a box, so £6 every 4 weeks (if you're lucky and don't get it more often). It doesn't necessarily sound like a lot, but it's mad to spend (usually over) £78 each year, and more for any days it runs long, days you're caught out, pads for nighttime if that's your style etc for a bit of cotton and for a bunch of men to go around calling such sanitary items a luxury, like we're unreasonable for not wanting to ruin all of our clothes because we decided to just go ahead and bleed through them all, along with all of our bedding and mattresses, any seat we sit on, carpets etc. If toilet paper isn't a luxury, this shouldn't be either imo
chelseadagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Time to hike up the price of loo roll, guys. You can go outside and use leaves instead! Toilet roll should be charged for in all public toilets from this day onwards. £1 per two squares sound about right?
chelseadagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's a lovely idea, but it is quite expensive. I prefer to give them out to actual people so I know they won't be binned or nicked off with by someone who doesn't really need them as much. Now that, thankfully, I don't have periods anymore I donate products to homeless shelters and women's refuges instead
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (279)
47.94%
No (67)
11.51%
I'm not old enough (236)
40.55%

Watched Threads