Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

When have you all booked UKCAT and BMAT? Watch

ReputationRep:
    What date are you all going to sit your UKCAT? And what about those of you doing BMAT? September or November? Why?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Iras,

We recommend the best time to sit your UKCAT would be during the last few weeks of August - or 6 weeks from when you start preparing. As long as you around 1 hour a day, that is more than sufficient time to prepare. I sat my UKCAT on the last week of August.

We then recommend sitting the BMAT in November, because it will be too hectic to revise properly for the BMAT especially as you will be starting school in September.

Hope that helps!

Mohil
    UCL Y4
    medicmind.co.uk
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

(Original post by Medic Mind)
    We then recommend sitting the BMAT in November, because it will be too hectic to revise properly for the BMAT especially as you will be starting school in September.
    Completely disagree with this (unless you're applying to Oxford) for the following reasons:

- There's more of a risk doing it in November, and you will lose your options if you end up bombing. It's not as big of a disaster if you don't do well in September.
    - For the reason mentioned above, there will be more pressure in the November sitting. This could affect your score.

My advice is to do the UKCAT earlier and leave time to do the BMAT in September. People will still have school in November too so it will be hectic then too. In fact, given that some Medical Schools start interviewing in November, you could argue it would be more hectic then for some people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    Completely disagree with this (unless you're applying to Oxford) for the following reasons:

- There's more of a risk doing it in November, and you will lose your options if you end up bombing. It's not as big of a disaster if you don't do well in September.
    - For the reason mentioned above, there will be more pressure in the November sitting. This could affect your score.

My advice is to do the UKCAT earlier and leave time to do the BMAT in September. People will still have school in November too so it will be hectic then too. In fact, given that some Medical Schools start interviewing in November, you could argue it would be more hectic then for some people.
    Totally agree with this. Doing the BMAT in September makes applying less of a gamble. I think doing it pretty close to your UKCAT can actually be a good thing since they require a lot of the same stuff such as quick mental maths and quick reading etc, so you could utilise some of your UKCAT prep for the BMAT in a way you couldn't if you'd take the tests months apart.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Iras,

We recommend the best time to sit your UKCAT would be during the last few weeks of August - or 6 weeks from when you start preparing. As long as you around 1 hour a day, that is more than sufficient time to prepare. I sat my UKCAT on the last week of August.

Hope that helps!

Mohil
    UCL Y4
    medicmind.co.uk
    (Original post by usycool1)

(Original post by StationToStation)
    Totally agree with this. Doing the BMAT in September makes applying less of a gamble. I think doing it pretty close to your UKCAT can actually be a good thing since they require a lot of the same stuff such as quick mental maths and quick reading etc, so you could utilise some of your UKCAT prep for the BMAT in a way you couldn't if you'd take the tests months apart.
    Thanks for your responses! My worry is that if I do BMAT in September, I won't have as much time to be fully prepared for it. Since I'll move my UKCAT to an earlier date if I do Sept BMAT, I'll have reduced my preparation time for UKCAT, whilst only leaving around 2 weeks for BMAT prep, and that doesn't seem like enough. On the other hand, BMAT in November will be hard to prepare for as I'll have, as you said, year 13 going on and interviews coming up as well.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iras)
    Thanks for your responses! My worry is that if I do BMAT in September, I won't have as much time to be fully prepared for it. Since I'll move my UKCAT to an earlier date if I do Sept BMAT, I'll have reduced my preparation time for UKCAT, whilst only leaving around 2 weeks for BMAT prep, and that doesn't seem like enough. On the other hand, BMAT in November will be hard to prepare for as I'll have, as you said, year 13 going on and interviews coming up as well.
    It really does depend on you, but weigh up the pros of each:

Pros of September

• You know you score earlier. This is a benefit because if the BMAT goes badly you can just apply to one or none at all.

• Doesn't affect school work. With the way A-levels have changed, you have a hard A2 year so you need to be prepared to focus from the get go.

Pros of November

• You have more time to revise. The BMAT requires lots of preparation, especially as many students need to revisit Physics. So the time is very valuable.

• You have more time for the UKCAT. Many students have a packed summer, with travelling and UCAS, so tend to sit UKCAT in August. You do not want to split your revision too much as both exams are very taxing.

• You have more time for your personal statement. You need to dedicate enough time to your personal statement, as well as these admissions tests. Doing UKCAT alongside your personal statement in summer is fine, but adding in BMAT makes things very difficult.

• You are likely to do BMAT anyway. If you do terrible at UKCAT, then you will not want to apply to 4 UKCAT universities. If you brilliantly at UKCAT, you will feel more confident to apply to BMAT universities. So either way you might consider BMAT quite strongly. It is a risk, but with more preparation you are less likely to do badly in BMAT.

At the end of the day there is no right answer and it is really based on factors such as:

• Your timetable for summer and term 1
    • How strongly you want to go to a BMAT university
    • Your confidence in your BMAT abilities
    • Your UKCAT score
    • If you are applying to Oxford
    • Whether you need to re-revise Physics

If you want any personal advice based on your circumstances just drop a message.

Kunal

UCL Medicine Y4
    medicmind.co.uk/resources

ReputationRep:
    It really does depend on you, but weigh up the pros of each:

Pros of September

• You know you score earlier. This is a benefit because if the BMAT goes badly you can just apply to one or none at all.

• Doesn't affect school work. With the way A-levels have changed, you have a hard A2 year so you need to be prepared to focus from the get go.

Pros of November

• You have more time to revise. The BMAT requires lots of preparation, especially as many students need to revisit Physics. So the time is very valuable.

• You have more time for the UKCAT. Many students have a packed summer, with travelling and UCAS, so tend to sit UKCAT in August. You do not want to split your revision too much as both exams are very taxing.

• You have more time for your personal statement. You need to dedicate enough time to your personal statement, as well as these admissions tests. Doing UKCAT alongside your personal statement in summer is fine, but adding in BMAT makes things very difficult.

• You are likely to do BMAT anyway. If you do terrible at UKCAT, then you will not want to apply to 4 UKCAT universities. If you brilliantly at UKCAT, you will feel more confident to apply to BMAT universities. So either way you might consider BMAT quite strongly. It is a risk, but with more preparation you are less likely to do badly in BMAT.

At the end of the day there is no right answer and it is really based on factors such as:

• Your timetable for summer and term 1
    • How strongly you want to go to a BMAT university
    • Your confidence in your BMAT abilities
    • Your UKCAT score
    • If you are applying to Oxford
    • Whether you need to re-revise Physics

If you want any personal advice based on your circumstances just drop a message.

Kunal

UCL Medicine Y4
    medicmind.co.uk/resources
    Thanks! I'm gonna message you in a bit

ReputationRep:
    I agree with those saying September is better. The BMAT is a really hard test and you see so many people get terrible scores - in September you can deal with this. In November its too late, and you've dropped your chances of getting in by 25%, or even 50%+. It takes a confident person to wait until November.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I agree with those saying September is better. The BMAT is a really hard test and you see so many people get terrible scores - in September you can deal with this. In November its too late, and you've dropped your chances of getting in by 25%, or even 50%+. It takes a confident person to wait until November.
    What if I personally find UKCAT harder than BMAT? Surely November BMAT would let me prepare for UKCAT, without risking a bad BMAT score as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iras)
    What if I personally find UKCAT harder than BMAT? Surely November BMAT would let me prepare for UKCAT, without risking a bad BMAT score as well.
    You still risk getting a bad BMAT score though. Imagine you get an ok but not so good UKCAT so commit to two BMAT unis. Then do disastrously in the BMAT. Two choices instantly gone. Easily possible seen it happen many times before.

Its up to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iras)
    Agree with nexttime. There's really no way of telling what BMAT score you'll get. I've seen lots of people get really horrible scores after ridiculous amounts of prep. Personally I'm pretty sure I also scored significantly fewer marks than when I did past papers just before the actual test - the nerves can really get to you.

You'll have enough time to prepare for the September BMAT. If you really do find it that easy and get a good score, you can apply to 4 BMAT unis if you want. If for some reason you don't, you can instead choose to apply to places that place more weight on grades, personal statement etc. Basically doing the BMAT in September will allow you to weigh the strengths of your application more accurately and pick the unis where you have the greatest chance of being accepted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iras)
    You won't be able to fully revise for November either considering how much work you'll have to do on your A2 work from the get-go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StationToStation)
    Agree with nexttime. There's really no way of telling what BMAT score you'll get. I've seen lots of people get really horrible scores after ridiculous amounts of prep. Personally I'm pretty sure I also scored significantly fewer marks than when I did past papers just before the actual test - the nerves can really get to you.

You'll have enough time to prepare for the September BMAT. If you really do find it that easy and get a good score, you can apply to 4 BMAT unis if you want. If for some reason you don't, you can instead choose to apply to places that place more weight on grades, personal statement etc. Basically doing the BMAT in September will allow you to weigh the strengths of your application more accurately and pick the unis where you have the greatest chance of being accepted.
    (Original post by studentsixth)
    You won't be able to fully revise for November either considering how much work you'll have to do on your A2 work from the get-go
    I've currently got UKCAT booked for 17th August. That leaves just over 2 weeks of summer holiday left for BMAT preparation - would this be enough? I just want whichever option that can maximise my BMAT prep because I'm prioritising BMAT unis over UKCAT ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iras)
    I've currently got UKCAT booked for 17th August. That leaves just over 2 weeks of summer holiday left for BMAT preparation - would this be enough? I just want whichever option that can maximise my BMAT prep because I'm prioritising BMAT unis over UKCAT ones.
    That should be fine. Remember to do the practice papers several times and understand the mentality needed for each question because a lot of people (me included) don't realise that the BMAT works like any other exam. The more you practice and analyse your mistakes, the better you will do

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.