dede100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I was wondering if anyone could advise me on how to use a Adult nursing degree to get into a career of psychotherapist or councillor as they all seem to require mental health nursing as a BSc
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by dede100)
I was wondering if anyone could advise me on how to use a Adult nursing degree to get into a career of psychotherapist or councillor as they all seem to require mental health nursing as a BSc
OK - this is a quick answer, rather than a comprehensive one, but I hope it gives you some ideas.

"Psychotherapist" and "counsellor" are not legally protected titles, so in theory anyone can call themselves a "psychotherapist" or a "counsellor". In that sense, you don't need any additional qualification! However, you will struggle to make a living, and certainly would not be employed by any reputable agency if you are not on a professional register of some sort that is relevant to the type of psychotherapeutic or counseling work that you do.

For counseling, the usual essential registration is with the BACP. You need to do a BACP acredited training course to be eligible for this. See the website here.

Psychotherapy obviously covers a wide range of things. I qualified as a adult nurse and - after a long period doing other stuff - decided to become a Play Therapist. This is entirely feasible with just an adult nursing qualification, and you need to train with a HPC registered professional body - I would recommend BAPT in this case. This qualification enabled me to work as a freelance and combined with my adult nursing qualification, I was later employed by the NHS as a community mental health worker for chldren and families.

You might also consider other therapies like art, dance, therapeutic life story work....etc. Just make sure your training organisation is reputable and has an accredited register.
dede100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you for your answer this helps!!
I was just wanting to incorporate it into a masters degree so would you suggest i do a BACP course first then try get onto a masters?

Thank you
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by dede100)
Thank you for your answer this helps!!
I was just wanting to incorporate it into a masters degree so would you suggest i do a BACP course first then try get onto a masters?

Thank you
I guess it depends on what suits your circumstances and what type of psychotherapy or counselling you are most interested in. I've been on several courses here and would thoroughly recommend it - just make sure that the course you choose is accredited and would leave you in a position to join a professional register. And that you can afford it!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (22)
6.85%
They might tell the bully (31)
9.66%
I don't think they'd understand (48)
14.95%
It might lead to more bullying (120)
37.38%
There's nothing they could do (100)
31.15%

Watched Threads