The Student Room Group

What are the pros and cons of Western society?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TSR Veteran
Your children are your children doesn't matter how old they are. All these behaviours are totally barbaric. The whole point of working is to maintain the health of the family unit, not to fund your own personal leisure. Family should get in the way of work, otherwise what is the point in going to work in the first place?

Your children will always be your biological offspring. But plenty of people come from toxic families and choose to disown them. You can't just say these behaviours are barbaric if you know nothing about what's going on in that family. Not everybody has or chooses to have a family and whatever you want thinks to be like, this isn't the 1950s anymore.

Also, referring back to you point about the UK having more issues than India, I read a lovely story the other day about a man who threw acid over his sleeping daughter and wife (whom he married when she was 14). They are forced to remain with him because of 'shame' and having nowhere else to go. Yeah, sounds great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by Sarahsez
Pros: freedom of speech, democracy
Cons: over sexualisation. I've seen 11 years old wearing mini skirts. High divorce rate.

What do you mean by Western society? Do you mean White people?
Reply 22
Original post by TSR Veteran
Why do English parents charge their own teenagers rent or put their elderly parents in homes? Why do they not really give a **** who their children marry as long as the state is supporting the ******* offspring? UK has more to worry about with its future social demographics than India by a long shot.

As a woman that has been to India, I didn't feel very safe. I prefer the UK anyday.
Reply 23
Original post by texas888
What do you mean by Western society? Do you mean White people?

I mean Europe, Canada, USA, Australia etc. I'd even add Japan.
Cons: the new generation is full of ******s
Original post by susanneblonde
then go back to Muslim countries of you hate us.

Cough.
Pros: I don't get my hand chopped off for stealing or lashed for drinking some beer...
Cons: Everyone feels the need to get absolutely f**** up off their face every Friday.
I mean Europe, Canada, USA, Australia etc. I'd even add Japan.

Europe except Russia, Turkey and Belarus, and maybe Ukraine.
High divorce rate, but at least we don't have to stay in an unhealthy marriage. I think that's the difference.
Reply 29
Original post by cbreef
Europe except Russia, Turkey and Belarus, and maybe Ukraine.

I meant North Europe.
cons: TRUMP
TRUMP
and
TRUMP
Reply 31
I could write a book on the pros and one on the cons, it can't be reduced to a post.
Reply 32
Cons: over sexualisation. I've seen 11 years old wearing mini skirts. High divorce rate.

I'd say the main pros are freedoms of all kinds. Connected to this is the loss of traditions of what it means to be an individual within society as traditions normally have archaic power structures. This leaves individuals without a sense of purpose and a contradictory culture in which our culture is supposedly based on freedom but at the same time freedom means a lack of rules so there is no moral way of enforcing our idea of freedom.
[video]https://youtu.be/hZZMXV_PRXk?t=1m38s[/video]
"West is the Best"

We've created this Western hemisphere on the basis of distinct sets of norms, values embodied in our law and traditions. This stems out of Roman & Greek philosophy and jurisprudence, Judeo-Christian theological transformations (i.e. Catholic renaissance and Protestant Reformation were particularly important, followed by the Englightenment).

What I like the most about the West is: individual freedom, division of powers, empiricism & critical reasoning, entrepreneurship combined with kinship

However, West is far from perfect and we need to strive for more, especially in the Millennial generation:
[video="youtube;dZlK_ThjMk4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZlK_ThjMk4[/video]

"We have to encourage return to traditional moral values - most importantly, we have to promote general social concern, and less materialism in young people" - Patrick Bateman
Pros: That Islam is not given any respect
Cons: Too much PC bs
Original post by IPEguy
I'd say the main pros are freedoms of all kinds. Connected to this is the loss of traditions of what it means to be an individual within society as traditions normally have archaic power structures. This leaves individuals without a sense of purpose and a contradictory culture in which our culture is supposedly based on freedom but at the same time freedom means a lack of rules so there is no moral way of enforcing our idea of freedom.

I am inclined to agree with the first half of your statement.

Original post by PTMalewski
[video]https://youtu.be/hZZMXV_PRXk?t=1m38s[/video]

Is that a pro or a con?

Original post by Authoritarian
"West is the Best"

We've created this Western hemisphere on the basis of distinct sets of norms, values embodied in our law and traditions. This stems out of Roman & Greek philosophy and jurisprudence, Judeo-Christian theological transformations (i.e. Catholic renaissance and Protestant Reformation were particularly important, followed by the Englightenment).

What I like the most about the West is: individual freedom, division of powers, empiricism & critical reasoning, entrepreneurship combined with kinship

However, West is far from perfect and we need to strive for more, especially in the Millennial generation:
[video="youtube;dZlK_ThjMk4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZlK_ThjMk4[/video]

"We have to encourage return to traditional moral values - most importantly, we have to promote general social concern, and less materialism in young people" - Patrick Bateman

How thought-provoking.
Original post by EvilOfficer

Is that a pro or a con?

And what did Ibrahim say?
A pro of Western society is the legal tradition mentioned by some of the posters above. A con in contemporary West is the increasing inequality combined with an emphasis on individual success, even more so today than it was the case in the 1980s. The crucial acceleration for the striver culture was the social media. I am highly competitive and embrace competition, but let's be serious about this, not everyone can overachieve, and the winner-takes-all culture wherein you need to become a banker (or equivalent) otherwise you are considered a loser can be highly toxic and destructive to individuals.
No cons. It's awesome!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending