The Student Room Group

Can someone help, what to wear to a wedding?

Im dont have/wear dresses and therefore am not sure what to wear/what would be appropriate. Black leggings are the smartest things I have. The wedding involves a boat ride then a meal or similar to that. Id rather not wear a dress but i will if i have to i was thinking of leggings with a smart top but is this too casual? I just wondered if anyone could advise, thanks.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Just wear what you feel comfortable in, at the end of the day nobody's really going to be looking at you anyway, nobody will care.
Reply 2
Original post by Glassapple
Just wear what you feel comfortable in, at the end of the day nobody's really going to be looking at you anyway, nobody will care.

Its just i remember a person saying once that she wouldnt be too happy if someone showed up in leggings but that was one persons opinion im just trying to grasp what people generally wear as ive not been to a wedding in ages.
Reply 3
Original post by lastminute.
im a tomboy i dont have any dresses and dont know what to wear. Black leggings are the smartest things i have. The wedding involves a boat ride then a meal or something like that. Id rather not wear a dress but i will if i have to i was thinking of leggings with a smart top but is this too casual. I just wondered if anyone advise, thanks.

what?

Original post by glassapple
just wear what you feel comfortable in, at the end of the day nobody's really going to be looking at you anyway, nobody will care.

what?
Do you have any work/school trousers? Paired with a blazer they could look quite smart, and a bright top to brighten it up a bit
Original post by usualsuspects
what?

what?

I meant comfortable enough but doesn't look too out of place, not just anything. The OP says they were thinking about wearing leggings and a smart top, that will be fine. Nobody is really going to be looking at or caring about one of the hundreds of guests at someone's wedding, it's not about them.
It's not nice to wear leggings at a wedding, it just looks like you put no effort in and you wouldn't want that. If a dress makes you uncomfortable.... maybe a suit?
Original post by Lastminute.
Im a tomboy i dont have any dresses and dont know what to wear. Black leggings are the smartest things I have. The wedding involves a boat ride then a meal or something like that. Id rather not wear a dress but i will if i have to i was thinking of leggings with a smart top but is this too casual. I just wondered if anyone advise, thanks.

Jumpsuit would look nice for a wedding.
Reply 8
I meant comfortable enough but doesn't look too out of place, not just anything. The OP says they were thinking about wearing leggings and a smart top, that will be fine. Nobody is really going to be looking at or caring about one of the hundreds of guests at someone's wedding, it's not about them.

It's a ceremony and you should dress accordingly. I'd be extremely offended, though none of my guests would consider the idea of wearing leggings.
Reply 9
Original post by Emerald7770
It's not nice to wear leggings at a wedding, it just looks like you put no effort in and you wouldn't want that. If a dress makes you uncomfortable.... maybe a suit?

well it takes more effort to put on leggings than a dress. What kind of trousers could i wear at a wedding and do many females wear trousers? I might go and have a look in next tomorrow but i still wouldnt know lol.
It's a ceremony and you should dress accordingly. I'd be extremely offended, though none of my guests would consider the idea of wearing leggings.

If you're more concerned about what people you don't really know are wearing to your wedding than actually getting married, you have your priorities all wrong. The vast majority of people don't actually want to be there anyway, they go out of politeness because you invited them, really they wish you hadn't. They shouldn't have to buy clothes they'll have no other use for, just for your wedding. You're getting married, it shouldn't matter what other people are doing, it should be the last thing on your mind.

If it was my wedding i wouldnt give a toss id just be glad they turned up but yea i dont want to offend people with clothing so i guess this is why i made this thread, for advice
well it takes more effort to put on leggings than a dress. What kind of trousers could i wear at a wedding and do many females wear trousers? I might go and have a look in next tomorrow but i still wouldnt know lol.

i wouldnt know the answer to that but jumpsuits are really pretty and if you get the right one, its perf for a wedding.
i wouldnt know the answer to that but jumpsuits are really pretty and if you get the right one, its perf for a wedding.

Ive just been having a look at them on next's website they do look ok i was thinking of maybe a jumpsuit p, some boots with like a grey blazer i already have.

Do any of these look ok
http://www.next.co.uk/shop/productaffiliation-jumpsuitsandplaysuits-0#4_151
Reply 14
If you're more concerned about what people you don't really know are wearing to your wedding than actually getting married, you have your priorities all wrong. The vast majority of people don't actually want to be there anyway, they go out of politeness because you invited them, really they wish you hadn't. They shouldn't have to buy clothes they'll have no other use for, just for your wedding. You're getting married, it shouldn't matter what other people are doing, it should be the last thing on your mind.

I would care. It's a ceremony where everything is planned to the smallest detail, and I'd want the outcome to be decent. An adult person, which you don't appear to be, accepts the fact that she must have clothes for different occasions. It's your responsibility to dress appropriately in the office, at a ceremony, at a dinner, at a formal event, at a funeral and at a wedding. In this case, we aren't even talking about black tie (or white): a decent dress for a woman and a shirt and suit for a man don't seem unachievable.
Ive just been having a look at them on next's website they do look ok i was thinking of maybe a jumpsuit p, some boots with like a grey blazer i already have.

Do any of these look ok
http://www.next.co.uk/shop/productaffiliation-jumpsuitsandplaysuits-0#4_151

boots to a weddings isnt nice. wear flats or heels
the plain ones are nice for a wedding. the black or white plain ones are the ones i can see would look best
I would care. It's a ceremony where everything is planned to the smallest detail, and I'd want the outcome to be decent. An adult person, which you don't appear to be, accepts the fact that she must have clothes for different occasions. It's your responsibility to dress appropriately in the office, at a ceremony, at a dinner, at a formal event, at a funeral and at a wedding. In this case, we aren't even talking about black tie (or white): a decent dress for a woman and a shirt and suit for a man don't seem unachievable.

If you care that much you're just self-obsessed, you'd probably spend tens of thousands of pounds for an over-the-top, one day event. The OP is probably a teenager (by the way the OP is written), who probably doesn't have clothes for every single occasion. They shouldn't have to buy something for the sake of someone's wedding (who they barely know anyway), just to stroke their ego.

You're getting married, your partner should be the main thing on your mind, not people you'll likely never see again for months or even years. If you expect everyone of every age out of the hundereds of people you invite to have something to wear for a wedding (going to one is rare occurrence for a lot of people anyway), you're incredibly naive.
(edited 6 years ago)
Im a tomboy i dont have any dresses and dont know what to wear. Black leggings are the smartest things I have. The wedding involves a boat ride then a meal or something like that. Id rather not wear a dress but i will if i have to i was thinking of leggings with a smart top but is this too casual. I just wondered if anyone advise, thanks.
The occasion is more important than you making a statement. Suck it up.
boots to a weddings isnt nice. wear flats or heels
the plain ones are nice for a wedding. the black or white plain ones are the ones i can see would look best

I dont have heels and my only flat shoes are for work. Now ive no shoes either then lol
Original post by Tootles
The occasion is more important than you making a statement. Suck it up.

what the **** what statement am i making, im just asking for advice on clothes/what to buy what am i sucking up lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending