alevelstudentttt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm starting my A levels next year and would appreciate any type of advice on doing well for English Literature. Thanks.
username2982648
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by alevelstudentttt)
I'm starting my A levels next year and would appreciate any type of advice on doing well for English Literature. Thanks.
Moved to English study help

You might find this video helpful:

Miss Scarlett
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Read the set books in the summer before you start the A-Level. You can email the teacher to ask what these are if you don't already know. You may need to re-read them at a later point but this way you have a head start and can put more focus into reflecting on the books and analysing them.

Get your hands on a literary dictionary if you can- if not, swot up on terminology. This is particularly useful for studying poetry.

And just generally read lots of books! The more you read, the more you gain an understanding of how books are put together. Why not try writing an Amazon review after you've read the book?

A-Level English Lit is more comparative than GCSE so the more you've read, the better!
srdavison123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by alevelstudentttt)
Get a reading list and read ahead of your course if possible. I made the mistake of not even finishing one of my texts and it made for a tricky exam. I'd also ensure that you know all of the AO's with ease, and have done some preliminary research into the contexts of the texts and the various terminology (I'd recommend for revision Mr Bruff’s Guide to A’ Level English Literature). Apart from that, keep up to date with your reading, don't be scared to include your own interpretations in your work and don't stress too much.
Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (37)
40.66%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
23.08%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (5)
5.49%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (8)
8.79%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (5)
5.49%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (6)
6.59%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
9.89%

Watched Threads