JackYoung471
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Provided I get offers from Imperial (A*A*A) and Oxford (A*AA) - this I think this will be rare due to PAT and interviews - would it make sense to put Oxford as my insurance? This seems a bit cocky to me but I'm not sure. Imperial is the higher offer and I want to go there more (I believe it has the better science department and graduate employability) but putting Oxford as my insurance seems like unheard of.
Thanks,
Jack
fefssdf
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JackYoung471)
Provided I get offers from Imperial (A*A*A) and Oxford (A*AA) - this I think this will be rare due to PAT and interviews - would it make sense to put Oxford as my insurance? This seems a bit cocky to me but I'm not sure. Imperial is the higher offer and I want to go there more (I believe it has the better science department and graduate employability) but putting Oxford as my insurance seems like unheard of.
Thanks,
Jack
think about this more please ... oxford looks so good on a cv i think you need to consider what an opportunity you have here, and what doors oxford will open with you
Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by fefssdf)
think about this more please ... oxford looks so good on a cv i think you need to consider what an opportunity you have here, and what doors oxford will open with you
The man wants what the man wants. There's no point in going to Oxford just for the sake of the name.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks,
Jack
Of course, if you prefer Imperial then why not?
GalGirl101
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you prefer Imperial chose it. There are people I know who went to Oxford yet earn less than went to non Russell Groups and Imperial in itself is still fantastic
JackYoung471
Rep:
?
(Original post by GalGirl101)
If you prefer Imperial chose it. There are people I know who went to Oxford yet earn less than went to non Russell Groups and Imperial in itself is still fantastic
I would definitely prefer to go to Imperial but Oxford may look down on people who put them as their insurance. But how would it make sense to put Imperial as insurance if it has higher grades?
GalGirl101
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would definitely prefer to go to Imperial but Oxford may look down on people who put them as their insurance. But how would it make sense to put Imperial as insurance if it has higher grades?
It would make sense to put oxford as the insurance since it is the lower offer. Imperial is amazing and if that's where you wanna go, then it's where you wanna go.

And if Oxford want to throw a hissy fit over it/look down on you then was it the type of atmosphere you wanted to study at for 3/4 years?
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wut? It won't affect any offer if you insure Oxford.

Your 5 choices don't know who the other choices are, until after you have accepted your Firm and Insurance offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
BrasenoseAdm
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks,
Jack
A small number of offer-holders opt to put Oxford as insurance which is one of the reasons the colleges make Open Offers and/or over offer.

Applicants are free agents: once we make an offer, the ball is in the candidate's court. A few decide on another UK University or an overseas University (mainly international applicants).
JackYoung471
Rep:
?
(Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
A small number of offer-holders opt to put Oxford as insurance which is one of the reasons the colleges make Open Offers and/or over offer.

Applicants are free agents: once we make an offer, the ball is in the candidate's court. A few decide on another UK University or an overseas University (mainly international applicants).
If the applicant puts Oxford as their insurance, do they lose any benefits that a firm applicant would have (choice of college/accommodation etc)? That may sound like a really silly question so sorry if it is.
black1blade
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you want to go to imperial why go through the effort of applying to oxford?
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by black1blade)
In case they don't get an offer from Imperial I imagine... and as an Insurance.
JammieDodger27
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A*AA is still a high offer and Oxford won't let you in unless you meet that so I would be careful to ensure you will get A*AA. However, if you're confident you'll get A*AA minimum and could go on to get A*A*A then I think putting Imperial as a firm choice and Oxford as an insurance makes sense.
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by black1blade)
If you want to go to x university, why go through the effort of applying for four other universities?
JackYoung471
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zacken)
If you want to go to x university, why go through the effort of applying for four other universities?
Exactly haha, I want to go to both OxF and ICL but I might not get offers from certain ones
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JammieDodger27)
A*AA is still a high offer and Oxford won't let you in unless you meet that
On what do you base that assertion?
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Provided I get offers from Imperial (A*A*A) and Oxford (A*AA) - this I think this will be rare due to PAT and interviews - would it make sense to put Oxford as my insurance?
This is one of those "nice problem to have" questions.

It makes sense to firm the place that you most want to go to, regardless of the name. Both are world-class. Have you visited both?
black1blade
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Zacken)
It's just that the oxbridge application process requires a lot more time and effort than other applications.
That said op, if you aren't 100% about being able to get at least 1 A* at a-level then putting oxford as an insurance would be a bad idea. If you get AAA you would go straight into clearing...
JackYoung471
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
This is one of those "nice problem to have" questions.

It makes sense to firm the place that you most want to go to, regardless of the name. Both are world-class. Have you visited both?
I have visited Oxford and am going to ICL in September. This is the problem though. I prefer Imperial because of its strong science/engineering departments and the feeling of London. However, I don't want to be the person who turns down an offer from Oxford because how could you? It's Oxford. One of the most prestigious unis in the world.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have visited Oxford and am going to ICL in September. This is the problem though. I prefer Imperial because of its strong science/engineering departments and the feeling of London. However, I don't want to be the person who turns down an offer from Oxford because how could you? It's Oxford. One of the most prestigious unis in the world.
They're both excellent, so it's not as if you'd be making an obviously bad choice. Beyond that, it's 3-4 years of your life, so you should chose what suits you best.

I read Engineering and Computing Science at Oxford (long ago). Personally, I'd chose Oxford (it's a lot cheaper too), but it's just that, a personal decision.

You're probably over-thinking it though - I'd be happy with an offer from one of them. Good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (68)
30.91%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (26)
11.82%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.18%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.45%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
27.27%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.36%

Watched Threads