The Student Room Group

FP1 question help

Hi guys!

I'm currently self-teaching myself further maths AS over the summer seeing as it will come in handy for university and just because I love maths and have nothing else to do with my life... to sum it up pretty bluntly haha. I've picked up a couple of textbooks to use although I didn't get an "official" textbook, just this one endorsed by edexcel which I can't seem to find the solution bank to online. It's Further Pure FP1 by Mark Rowland.

I need help with a certain question, which I'll try and post a picture of below this post - if anybody could please help! :smile:
Reply 1
image.jpg

question 5b please! i'm not too sure how to go about this, thanks :smile:
Original post by ashaxo99
Hi guys!

I'm currently self-teaching myself further maths AS over the summer seeing as it will come in handy for university and just because I love maths and have nothing else to do with my life... to sum it up pretty bluntly haha. I've picked up a couple of textbooks to use although I didn't get an "official" textbook, just this one endorsed by edexcel which I can't seem to find the solution bank to online. It's Further Pure FP1 by Mark Rowland.

I need help with a certain question, which I'll try and post a picture of below this post - if anybody could please help! :smile:

look forward to seeing the question :h:
Reply 3
Original post by the bear
look forward to seeing the question :h:

just posted it haha :smile:
since b < 50 and b = 12.5a and a is a positive integer... there is only one possible value of a which gives a suitable value of b....

just inspect the positive integers for a, starting with 1
Original post by ashaxo99

question 5b please! i'm not too sure how to go about this, thanks :smile:

You're given that b<50b<50 so since b=252ab=\frac{25}{2}a we have 252a<50a<4\frac{25}{2}a<50 \Rightarrow a<4

So you're finding integers a,ba,b such that the following are satisfied:

a<4a<4

b<50b<50

b=252ab=\frac{25}{2}a
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by the bear
since b < 50 and b = 12.5a and a is a positive integer... there is only one possible value of a which gives a suitable value of b....

just inspect the positive integers for a, starting with 1

thanks so much, i sorta kinda get what i'm supposed to be doing now :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by RDKGames
You're given that b<50b<50 so since b=252ab=\frac{25}{2}a we have 252a<50a<4\frac{25}{2}a<50 \Rightarrow a<4

So you're finding integers a,ba,b such that the following are satisfied:

a<4a<4

b<50b<50

b=252ab=\frac{25}{2}a

thank you so much for your help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest