The Student Room Group

Help! Which contract shall I choose?

Basically, sainsburys are offering me 2 contracts to pick from. One is 6 hours on a saturday. The other is 12 hours but with 6 hours on the saturday and 6 hours on the sunday.

This year I enter my second year of uni and I'm on the commitee of two societies. But I'm also pretty cash strapped atm. However, I don't want to overstretch myself by working on the weekends and having my weekdays full of uni stuff. They need an answer asap. Any advice? Also is there oportunity for paid overtime at sainsburys so I can pick the 6 hours and then pick up any additional hours?
Original post by queenofdarkness
Basically, sainsburys are offering me 2 contracts to pick from. One is 6 hours on a saturday. The other is 12 hours but with 6 hours on the saturday and 6 hours on the sunday.

This year I enter my second year of uni and I'm on the commitee of two societies. But I'm also pretty cash strapped atm. However, I don't want to overstretch myself by working on the weekends and having my weekdays full of uni stuff. They need an answer asap. Any advice? Also is there oportunity for paid overtime at sainsburys so I can pick the 6 hours and then pick up any additional hours?

I was in college when I did this, not university, but I had a job in a cafe doing 6 hours on a Saturday and 5-6 on a Sunday (depending on whether they needed me to help open up or not). I managed it for the first month or two, but I quickly became exhausted and never had a day off in the 7 months I worked there, so I was doing 9 hours in college 5 days and then 11-12 hours at the weekend as well.

Yes I was getting paid for it but it took a strain on me (not helped by the fact that my mental health reached it lowest point during that time so I was in therapy whilst working 7 days).

If you think you can handle it and you have enough free time during the week outside of contact hours, then I'd say go for it. However, I would personally suggest going for just the Saturday from my own experience, although I do appreciate that others are more capable than myself.

As for picking up shifts, I have never worked for Sainsbury's so I couldn't say. Sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending