The Student Room Group

Help! What essentials do I have to take when moving into a student house?

Hi!
I'm unsure of what essentials I need to buy before I move into a student house. My room comes with a desk, chest of drawers, bed side table and a clothes rail. What else do I need to buy? My bills are all sorted out by the way.
Thanks everyone!
Original post by Shelby_Robinson
Hi!
I'm unsure of what essentials I need to buy before I move into a student house. My room comes with a desk, chest of drawers, bed side table and a clothes rail. What else do I need to buy? My bills are all sorted out by the way.
Thanks everyone!

Will pots and pans be supplied or will you need to bring your own?

I would bring things like:
- a tea towel or two
- bath towels
- flip flops if sharing a bathroom

You'll be going at the tail end of summer. But pack some winter clothes and a warm coat.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Tiger Rag
Will pots and pans be supplied or will you need to bring your own?

I would bring things like:
- a tea towel or two
- bath towels
- flip flops if sharing a bathroom

You'll be going at the tail end of summer. But pack some winter clothes and a warm coat.

I have to bring my own pots and pans, but I'm not sure how many to take either? And thank you, I never thought about flip flops for the bathroom :smile:
I have to bring my own pots and pans, but I'm not sure how many to take either? And thank you, I never thought about flip flops for the bathroom :smile:

I think I took 2 pots / pans and a frying pan.
Original post by Tiger Rag
I think I took 2 pots / pans and a frying pan.

Thank you for your help :smile: I'll take the same too!
Hi!
Thanks everyone!

Hi,

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here.

If you're living in a shared accommodation I would wait to buy most of the kitchen items until you've moved in. This is to give you a chance to meet your flatmates first because you'll end up with 12 kettles but no mugs!

Other things to remember are your bathroom essentials, towels/dressing gown/flip flops/shower bag and toiletries (sometimes you need to take your own toilet roll too!)

For your bedroom, try to remember things like: mattress protector, bedding inc duvet and pillows, desk lamp, notebooks and stationary, phone charger, extension cables (some plug sockets will be in the most awkward or places), coat hangers and then all of your obvious clothes/shoes etc.

I hope this helps!

Lucy @ The Shield
Reply 6
Buy your own mugs, cutlery and plates. If you don't know the people you are living with, then keep your own because you don't know how dirty your housemates will be. Some will not respect your things and will leave them dirty and not wash them.
Also, I would recommend buying house shoes so you don't have to walk on dirty floors
Original post by Rt6f
Buy your own mugs, cutlery and plates. If you don't know the people you are living with, then keep your own because you don't know how dirty your housemates will be. Some will not respect your things and will leave them dirty and not wash them.

I wouldn't bring anything too expensive either. I never had this problem; but I do remember a housemate having stuff broken.
Reply 8
Obviously bring some clothes (not too much as your room won't be very big) and stuff for any hobbies you have.

For kitchenware:
1 pot, 1 frying pan, 1 baking tray and then 1 or 2 of plate/bowl/small plate/cup/mug plus a set of cutlery (2-4 of spoon, teaspoon, knife, fork), 1 kitchen knife, 1 chopping board - everything else you can buy as you need it e.g. cake tins/weighing scales etc

For your bedroom: bedding (2 sets as you might not want to pay for a dryer), clothes drying rack, laundry basket/bag

on top of that you can think about other optional things e.g. cushions, throw/blanket, pictures, speakers etc
Hi!
Thanks everyone!

Hi. Congratulations on finalising your university. If you are wondering what to carry with you to university then you might enjoy reading this blog -

Pack For University Like A Pro - https://www.unilodgers.com/blog/international-university-students-packing-tips/?utm_source=FP&utm_content=TSR
Hi!

Congrats on getting into uni!

I am a 3rd year at NTU, and I think what everyone has suggested above is perfect!

Be sure to take some pictures of friends & family too for your pin board/decorate down your wardrobe! & Fairylights are really comforting!

I'm currently doing an essay on first year students moving from home to university, if you have a couple minutes I'd love for you and other past students and present 1st years to answer the following questions for me!

Do you feel forced to think of halls as your home? (think about how you feel about it now if you're not already moved in yet, or how you felt in the first months of your first year if you've just moved out!)

What do you think will be/ what where the barriers you faced in the transition from home to halls from the first week to 2 months in?

How did you/will you overcome these barriers?

What has/did university halls provide in order to make you feel more 'at home'?

Thank you so much!

A x

Hi!
Thanks everyone!

A mini fridge to keep your milk in.

Source: experience.

Quick Reply

Latest