Why is education so expensive? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
I'm not really prepared to argue the toss about what one hypothetical person should or shouldn't do during their degree. The point still stands. Most Computer Science graduates are not suitable for the world of work, mainly because university does not prepare them for the world of work. I believe that a one year full time (40 hours a week) intensive training course could be provided for a fraction of the cost (the title of this thread) compared to the £27k+ it costs to get a degree that isn't fit for purpose in the bigger world.
Bootcamps already exist though? University is not meant to be a bootcamp nor is it meant to be 40 hours of contact time a week - it's an academic, self-directed pursuit. Which means fewer contact hours and the rest being allocated for wider reading, extra curriculars, projects and other self-directed activities that boost an individual's employability.

CompSci is also not a vocational course like Medicine, it isn't meant to produce software engineers specifically - it just turns out that Comp Sci graduates (like Maths or Physics) posses some qualities that would make them ideal for the position - much of those qualities developed through their degrees but the majority of these qualities are inherent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dot.Cotton
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you want to blame someone for your tuition fees, blame Blair and Labour.
ThePricklyOne
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
I'm not really prepared to argue the toss about what one hypothetical person should or shouldn't do during their degree. The point still stands. Most Computer Science graduates are not suitable for the world of work, mainly because university does not prepare them for the world of work. I believe that a one year full time (40 hours a week) intensive training course could be provided for a fraction of the cost (the title of this thread) compared to the £27k+ it costs to get a degree that isn't fit for purpose in the bigger world.
Most CompSci grads are not suitable for the world of work because they don't go and get experience along with the academic side provided by the university. University is a place for grown-ups who expected to take what they learn in their lectures and supplement it by independent learning. & not expect to be spoon fed like at school.

Intensive IT training courses can cost £8K or more - just for a few weeks' training on a particular software. Exams costs not included. Google training on MCSE,and CISCO products for example. These qualifications also have an expiry date, when you will have to retake the whole lot, and pay another couple of Ks.

Uni is much cheaper.
ThePricklyOne
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dot.Cotton)
If you want to blame someone for your tuition fees, blame Blair and Labour.
I blame the Tories.
seefer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This may help get a clearer understanding of where tuition fees go.

https://www.universitiesuk.ac.uk/pol...nt-fees-go.pdf
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (137)
22.91%
The paper was reasonable (262)
43.81%
Not feeling great about that exam... (109)
18.23%
It was TERRIBLE (90)
15.05%

Watched Threads