The Student Room Group

Is a 2:1 degree + 3 years corporate work experience better than a 1st with no WE?

I work for a large telecoms company in the technology department. It is a very rewarding job that pays well. They also put me through a computing degree at staffs uni. I am currently predicted a 2:1 grade and by the time i have graduated, i will have a 2:1 degree + 3 years corporate work experience under my belt. I think getting a 1st is pretty much out of reach for me as i'm juggling a full time job also, where i'm putting in 10-12 hour days. This leaves little time for uni studies.

My question is would a 2:1 computing degree + 3 years corporate work experience have a better chance than a graduate with a 1st and no work experience? I'm asking this for when i move onto other jobs.
Original post by zak7654
I work for a large telecoms company in the technology department. It is a very rewarding job that pays well. They also put me through a computing degree at staffs uni. I am currently predicted a 2:1 grade and by the time i have graduated, i will have a 2:1 degree + 3 years corporate work experience under my belt. I think getting a 1st is pretty much out of reach for me as i'm juggling a full time job also, where i'm putting in 10-12 hour days. This leaves little time for uni studies.

My question is would a 2:1 computing degree + 3 years corporate work experience have a better chance than a graduate with a 1st and no work experience? I'm asking this for when i move onto other jobs.

Yes, unquestionably.
Reply 2
As someone with a first and very little work experience, let me tell you:

Definitely a 2:1 and work experience is better.
General order of preference is:

First and work experience
2.1 and work experience
First and no work experience
2.1 and no work experience

So yes, a 2.1 and work experience is considered preferable to a first with no experience.
Reply 4
A 2:1 and a first are essentially the same in the eyes of an employer since a 2:1 is usually the minimum required to be eligible for the role.

Experience is a lot more important combined with a 2:1 than the lack of experience with a first.
Reply 5
Work experience is what helps you to stand out from other students! You will have learnt skills that you will be able to bring to the team. So yes, a 2:1 with work experience does sound a lot better than a first with none.
Original post by zak7654

Hey!

I think we're all in agreement on this thread, that the work experience you have is worth way more to an employer than if you'd finished with a first but had no experience.

2:1 is a great classification as it is, but employers will understand that you can actually apply your knowledge because of your previous work experience, and that you have the skills to work efficiently and to fulfil the job role. Someone with a first might have all the knowledge, but not be able to apply it quite as effectively as you will be able to because of your experience. That's what employers want!

Hope this helped,

Ellie
In terms of employability, yes.
Original post by zak7654

Work experience trumps no work experience regardless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zak7654

your company is paying for your degree? lucky.
Are you having work experience, or is it just a full time job that doesn't relate to the ideal career you wish to pursue after you graduate?
Reply 11
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Are you having work experience, or is it just a full time job that doesn't relate to the ideal career you wish to pursue after you graduate?

No it's business analyst job at a large telecoms company, so it counts as good corporate work experience and will help as a career.
Yes, there are a few rare times where companies/universities will require a 1st as an absolute minimum, but excluding these times you will have a much greater advantage with a 2:1 plus 3 years experience.

If you really want a first then it might be worth asking your work if you can have a couple months off to focus on your uni work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending