"Extensive visible tattoos are unacceptable" - starting medicine this September

Watch
This discussion is closed.
medicbraff
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
That's an email from the uni regarding appearance in clinical areas. Problem is, i can't cover up my tattoo sleeve. :confused:
username2049777
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by medicbraff)
That's an email from the uni regarding appearance in clinical areas. Problem is, i can't cover up my tattoo sleeve. :confused:
Either cover up as much as you can with makeup or when allowed, long sleeved tops, or let the uni know and try and persuade them
navarre
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You'd really have to contact the medical school about this, as you will be spending all of your clinical time bare below the elbows.
medicbraff
Rep:
?
(Original post by navarre)
You'd really have to contact the medical school about this, as you will be spending all of your clinical time bare below the elbows.
I'll contact them after i start uni, just to be safe.

Has anyone seen a med student or even a doctor with visible tattoos? Do you think it's just the policy of this particular uni?
Sacred Ground
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Were you not aware of this before medicine? How many doctors have you seen with sleeve tattoos? I want a sleeve but I just know that it wouldn't be allowed
medicbraff
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sacred Ground)
Were you not aware of this before medicine? How many doctors have you seen with sleeve tattoos? I want a sleeve but I just know that it wouldn't be allowed
Yes. As i understand it, the NHS states that only offensive tattoos must be covered. That's all.

Maybe the uni's are simply trying to deter med students from getting tattoos, but cannot kick people off the course if they have them.

It's all a bit confusing really!
StationToStation
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm only about to start med school too so I don't KNOW, but if you're a competent doctor it's not like the NHS could afford to not hire you because of a sleeve tattoo. And it doesn't sound plausible that your med school would just kick you out because of it when clinical years start. It's maybe not ideal but I think you'll be fine.
DorianGrayism
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Has anyone seen a med student or even a doctor with visible tattoos? Do you think it's just the policy of this particular uni?
Not a sleeve.

Tbh, you are in a difficult position since you already have it.
Moura
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
did the uni know you had a sleeve when they admitted you? is it in their T&Cs that you can't have one?

You need to speak to your advisor/the uni.

I've never seen a doctor with a sleeve. I imiagine it wouldn't be a problem for younger people but it could scare/worry older people. It's just how their generation is.
username2324315
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Urgh why would a sleeve tattoo make you perform your job any less well? You're literally saving lives, what are some patterns on your arms going to do??? Sorry I just really hate this "no tattoos ever in any job" custom
medicbraff
Rep:
?
(Original post by Moura)
did the uni know you had a sleeve when they admitted you? is it in their T&Cs that you can't have one?

You need to speak to your advisor/the uni.

I've never seen a doctor with a sleeve. I imiagine it wouldn't be a problem for younger people but it could scare/worry older people. It's just how their generation is.
They only saw me at the interview stage wearing a suit.

The only policy on tattoos is what i stated above.
liam__
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There's absolutely no problem here as long as the tattoo isn't offensive. There are laws that protect against this type of discrimination.
BigYoSpeck
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Why can't you cover it? Or do you just mean temporarily because it's a recent tattoo?
farencia.h
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Definetly speak to them,Which hopefully world out but if not there is permanent make up, especially for covering up body scars, tattoos and anything else that could be hidden.(not actually permanent btw)
navarre
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

No, I've never actually seen a fellow medic or a doctor with a visible tattoo. I have seen healthcare assistants and nursing staff with them, however.
username2459871
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You should be alright as long as there's nothing offensive in the sleeve.

(Original post by navarre)
No, I've never actually seen a fellow medic or a doctor with a visible tattoo. I have seen healthcare assistants and nursing staff with them, however.
I know a few people doing medicine who have visible tattoos on their wrists with no problems, although they're not sleeves, it shouldn't really be any different
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've seen one doctor with a sleeve and several more with visible forearm tattoos. As long as it's not offensive, I think most people won't care, and if you comply with the rest of the dress policy I don't think they'd really be able to discipline you for it. Heavy cover-up make-up is probably more of an infection control issue than just leaving it on display!

Posted from TSR Mobile
UKCATrocks
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rex Onocrotalus)
Urgh why would a sleeve tattoo make you perform your job any less well? You're literally saving lives, what are some patterns on your arms going to do??? Sorry I just really hate this "no tattoos ever in any job" custom
For the same reason you can't wear a tie and need to be bare below the elbow. It's an infection risk.
username2324315
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by UKCATrocks)
For the same reason you can't wear a tie and need to be bare below the elbow. It's an infection risk.
Tattoos can pass infections?
visesh
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by UKCATrocks)
How exactly is a bit of pigmented dermis going to pass on infections? A new fresh tattoo perhaps, but otherwise?

Unless you're talking about BBVs and the restrictions NHSBT have on blood donation. Well, unless you're planning on pouring your blood into a patient's system, I suspect you'll be fine.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (246)
57.21%
I don't have everything I need (184)
42.79%

Watched Threads