nunu10
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey guys - I am trying to decide whether it would be better for me to study in the UK (probably Scotland) or in the Netherlands. I would be thankful for any useful information you have from personal experiences, concerning academics as well as student life. I am looking at university colleges in the Netherlands and universities like St. Andrews, Edinburgh, Durham, UEA and Warwick in the UK. I am interested in courses such as liberal arts, geography and development studies.

Thanks in advance!
Breward
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Are you from the UK? Knowing a bit more about your background, subjects currently being studied and you future aspirations might help people advise you better.
nunu10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Breward)
Are you from the UK? Knowing a bit more about your background, subjects currently being studied and you future aspirations might help people advise you better.
No, I'm from Germany I study the IB and my higher levels are geography, biology and psychology. I'm not exactly sure what I want to do in the future, but maybe something like working for an NGO, the UN etc. I am just looking for some advice, perhaps from people who have studied at the places I've mentioned on what it is like there; pros and cons.
Breward
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It will certainly be cheaper to study in the NL than the UK. The University colleges look excellent, especially with the scope to create your own degree from 'a menu'. If you are interested in becoming an NGO, University College of Amsterdam offers an interesting unit called 'Peace Lab' where student and their lecturers go to Kosovo for a month to learn about the conflict and the peace solution.

Leiden's 'International Relations and Organisation' might be an alternative to a University College. The one advantage the university colleges offer is guaranteed accommodation for the whole of your course. Lots of international students seem to be finding searching for accommodation in the NL really hard.
Akanai
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Also note that students at Dutch universities are allowed to (for free, but not always for credit) take courses from other universities. I am a current student at University College Utrecht and I have taken courses at other universities and can answer questions about that process if you would like

Also a bit of shameless self-promotion: UCU offers a development field course in East Africa and lets students complete their thesis in Aruba if their topic would benefit from it (usually development, geography, or economics students)

In general, I would recommend looking at university colleges if you are looking for a challenge, as they do carry a higher workload (longer breaks but same amount of credits means more work hours per week in termtime) and/or if you like the idea of developing more than one field of study (which implies breadth rather than depth, usually depth then comes from a masters or work experience)

Leiden University College the Hague is also a really good option if you are interested in anything remotely political (like development studies)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (59)
28.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.32%
No I am happy with my choice (115)
56.1%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.8%

Watched Threads