The Student Room Group

Official BTEC Discussion - Share Your Thoughts On BTECs

Recently, there has been a surge in comments on BTECs; some of them positive, some of them more controversial.

I'd like to get a general consensus of what people on TSR think.

For a bit of background, I'm currently doing a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Engineering and chose this route instead of going to college. I got good GSCE grades and my school seemed to be directing me down the route of college -> university but I felt this was a better way. (if you've any questions about my experience or why I chose this, then just ask :h:)

I'd like to know what you all think about BTECs and where they can lead to.

A few questions for you to think about:

Do you think they should be compared to A-levels?

Are they viewed as less valuable, in your opinion (to things like universities, employers or the knowledge gained)?

Do you think they are a good way to learn vocational skills?

Do you believe there is a stereotype surrounding BTECs - what do you think this is?

With reforms in all stages of education, do you think the mindsets/stereotypes will change (if you believe they exist)?

Do you think BTECs are aimed at everyone or a select/specific group?

Feel free to add your own thoughts

Obviously, please try not to insult anyone if you feel strongly about your points, but do share your honest thought as much as possible. It would be interesting to see how BTECs are perceived and I'll try where possible to clarify any points people are unsure of/misunderstand.

Thanks everyone :smile:
Brainz
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They shouldn't really be compared to only A-levels. But with level 3 qualifications in general. I know that as of next year new btecs are coming in with exam and everything seems to be a lot harder in them.

How are you finding your btec?
I also do an extended diploma in engineering.
Original post by OGGUS
They shouldn't really be compared to only A-levels. But with level 3 qualifications in general. I know that as of next year new btecs are coming in with exam and everything seems to be a lot harder in them.

How are you finding your btec?
I also do an extended diploma in engineering.

Thanks for commenting :smile:

I'm really enjoying mine - I've got to learn about things I had never come across before and never thought I'd ever see, so I am really pleased that I chose to do it. How are you finding your BTEC in engineering? :h:
Reply 3
Original post by brainzistheword

I'm really enjoying mine - I've got to learn about things I had never come across before and never thought I'd ever see, so I am really pleased that I chose to do it. How are you finding your BTEC in engineering? :h:

Your welcome:smile:
That's great:h:
I've also enjoyed mine and learned a lot of new and exciting things?
Original post by OGGUS
Your welcome:smile:
That's great:h:
I've also enjoyed mine and learned a lot of new and exciting things?

Glad to hear it :smile: Do you feel it was the right choice for you?
I have done a BTEC in applied science and got D*DD and am going to do biomedical science, and plan to do either a medicine degree after or continue to post-graduate. I don't think they are comparable to A levels, but I don't think they should be as shunned as they are
Reply 6
Glad to hear it :smile: Do you feel it was the right choice for you?

Yeah it was:smile:
After previously done AS levels which I had mixed opinions:biggrin:
I really enjoyed the wider curriculum and real-life skills of the btec.
What made you pick a btec?
Original post by Emi Rubin
I have done a BTEC in applied science and got D*DD and am going to do biomedical science, and plan to do either a medicine degree after or continue to post-graduate. I don't think they are comparable to A levels, but I don't think they should be as shunned as they are

Well done on your grades!! When you say they shouldn't be "shunned" are you talking about being shunned by everyone in general (i.e. a stigma on BTECs) or specific groups like employers/universities?
Original post by OGGUS
Yeah it was:smile:
After previously done AS levels which I had mixed opinions:biggrin:
I really enjoyed the wider curriculum and real-life skills of the btec.
What made you pick a btec?

Ah good :smile:

I knew I wanted to pursue Engineering and felt that the BTEC would be better preparation than A-levels because of the practical application within it.

Well done on your grades!! When you say they shouldn't be "shunned" are you talking about being shunned by everyone in general (i.e. a stigma on BTECs) or specific groups like employers/universities?

Hmm both. I think some course/jobs at uni may be more suited to A levels, but I've been called an idiot for doing a BTEC (by both 'friends' and my family') Even though I had great work experience (I worked at a genome lab) and got to plan my own experiment (The effects of various sugars on E. Coli growth) so I feel I gained a lot from a BTEC and it shouldn't be viewed like I didn't
Hmm both. I think some course/jobs at uni may be more suited to A levels, but I've been called an idiot for doing a BTEC (by both 'friends' and my family':wink: Even though I had great work experience (I worked at a genome lab) and got to plan my own experiment (The effects of various sugars on E. Coli growth) so I feel I gained a lot from a BTEC and it shouldn't be viewed like I didn't

Wow that's really interesting. I suppose I am lucky in that everyone in my family supported my decision but good on you for pursuing what you wanted to. It certainly sounds like you did some pretty cool things during your BTEC. :biggrin:

Do you think your family and friends' opinions of BTECs have changed since you undertook the course? :smile:
Wow that's really interesting. I suppose I am lucky in that everyone in my family supported my decision but good on you for pursuing what you wanted to. It certainly sounds like you did some pretty cool things during your BTEC. :biggrin:

Do you think your family and friends' opinions of BTECs have changed since you undertook the course? :smile:

Sadly no. I did AS levels, but in maths and computing which didn't suit me, and everyone was disappointment when I went to a new college, and still are a little bit.
(edited 6 years ago)
Sadly no.

Oh :frown: That's a shame.

You'll do really well studying Biomedical Science though, and I wish you every success :h:
Oh :frown: That's a shame.

You'll do really well studying Biomedical Science though, and I wish you every success :h:

Thank you!
Check this thread out guys!

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4822994

Long story short.

Thought BTEC would be better suited for me, coupled with an A level. Achieved max grades, got into UCL - achieved a first class.

Don't mock BTEC.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by DreamsCanHappen
Check this thread out guys!

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4822994

Long story short.

Thought BTEC would be better suited for me, coupled with an A level. Achieved max grades, got into UCL - achieved a first class.

Don't mock BTEC.

Well done on what you've achieved and thanks for commenting :smile:
Recently, there has been a surge in comments on BTECs; some of them positive, some of them more controversial.

I'd like to get a general consensus of what people on TSR think.

For a bit of background, I'm currently doing a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Engineering and chose this route instead of going to college. I got good GSCE grades and my school seemed to be directing me down the route of college -> university but I felt this was a better way. (if you've any questions about my experience or why I chose this, then just ask :h:)

I'd like to know what you all think about BTECs and where they can lead to.

A few questions for you to think about:

Do you think they should be compared to A-levels?

Are they viewed as less valuable, in your opinion (to things like universities, employers or the knowledge gained)?

Do you think they are a good way to learn vocational skills?

Do you believe there is a stereotype surrounding BTECs - what do you think this is?

With reforms in all stages of education, do you think the mindsets/stereotypes will change (if you believe they exist)?

Do you think BTECs are aimed at everyone or a select/specific group?

Feel free to add your own thoughts

Obviously, please try not to insult anyone if you feel strongly about your points, but do share your honest thought as much as possible. It would be interesting to see how BTECs are perceived and I'll try where possible to clarify any points people are unsure of/misunderstand.

Thanks everyone :smile:
Brainz

I think BTEC's are hard work. I just finished a level 3 extended diploma in business and got 3 D*'s :smile: and it's VERY hard work, like I had to put constant HOURS into it, but well worth it and probably better than A levels for many people cos it gives you hands on experience and measures you over 2 years, instead of just one or two exams at the end of the year.

There IS a stereotype and some people are biased against them though. I went to an army careers office earlier this week and they said that they don't take BTEC's as alternatives to a levels. He gave me a lecture on how I "couldn't cope" with a level work or wouldn't get into university, and there I was standing with a stunned look on my face with 3 D*'s (equivalent to 3A*'s at a-level) and had offers from some top ranked universities xD So there is DEFINITE a stigma against BTEC's, although there shouldn't be.

I think they're very good for teaching vocational skills :smile:
Original post by Owain53
I think BTEC's are hard work. I just finished a level 3 extended diploma in business and got 3 D*'s :smile: and it's VERY hard work, like I had to put constant HOURS into it, but well worth it and probably better than A levels for many people cos it gives you hands on experience and measures you over 2 years, instead of just one or two exams at the end of the year.

There IS a stereotype and some people are biased against them though. I went to an army careers office earlier this week and they said that they don't take BTEC's as alternatives to a levels. He gave me a lecture on how I "couldn't cope" with a level work or wouldn't get into university, and there I was standing with a stunned look on my face with 3 D*'s (equivalent to 3A*'s at a-level) and had offers from some top ranked universities xD So there is DEFINITE a stigma against BTEC's, although there shouldn't be.

I think they're very good for teaching vocational skills :smile:

Thanks for sharing :smile:

Congratulations on getting such a good grade and that's quite surprising to hear about the army office! I think the stigma needs to be addressed - sooner rather than later :smile:

Do you think they should be compared to A-levels? They are comparable to A-Levels because they're level 3 qualification

Are they viewed as less valuable, in your opinion (to things like universities, employers or the knowledge gained)? They are less valuable to universities because they aren't as academic as A-Levels. I did a BTEC course alongside my A-Levels and I knew people who got away with copying and pasting assignment answers from the internet. People who can't get 5 A*-C at GCSE end up with D*D*D*. How exactly does that work?

Do you think they are a good way to learn vocational skills? They are because some involve a short work placement. But you can also get a summer internship doing A-Levels.

Do you believe there is a stereotype surrounding BTECs - what do you think this is? Road man/manette types who can't be arsed to do any work so they copy answers from the internet.

With reforms in all stages of education, do you think the mindsets/stereotypes will change (if you believe they exist)? Maybe but they need to be made more rigorous before half-decent universities take them seriously.

Do you think BTECs are aimed at everyone or a select/specific group? A select group of people who don't put any effort into studying. Look at a typical BTEC class and compare it to a typical A-Level class.

Thanks for contributing :smile:

You've raised some interesting points here and I can see where you are coming from. Do you think a lot of people who take BTECs do so because they are not academic themselves, or because they think it is the easier option? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending