The Student Room Group

Official BTEC Discussion - Share Your Thoughts On BTECs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brainzistheword
Thanks for contributing :smile:

You've raised some interesting points here and I can see where you are coming from. Do you think a lot of people who take BTECs do so because they are not academic themselves, or because they think it is the easier option? :smile:

Most people tend to take it because they aren't academic. Obviously there are exceptions. For example, there are a select few who take a single BTEC alongside their A-Levels because they think its an easier option. One of my friends took BTEC Engineering alongside Maths and Further Maths.
Ah okay :smile: I'd say I was probably an exception but I don't have the option of taking any A-levels with the BTEC.
Ah okay :smile: I'd say I was probably an exception but I don't have the option of taking any A-levels with the BTEC.

BTEC Engineering + A-Level Maths/Further Maths is arguably the best combination for an engineering degree because you get both the academic and practical experience.
Yes I know it's a good combination. There is just no time to integrate it into my timetable, though I am looking at self teaching it.
BTECs and A levels should not really be compared. The two qualifications serve two different kinds of people and do what they need to do, either provide practical experience for a subsequent job or preparation for a university degree. I think some people feel threatened now that since some high ranking universities are now considering applicants with BTECs or a combination of a BTEC and A levels; hence the constant comparison and circle jerk between students to keep on reminding themselves that A levels are more "academically rigorous".
Original post by Cubone-r
BTECs and A levels should not really be compared. The two qualifications serve two different kinds of people and do what they need to do, either provide practical experience for a subsequent job or preparation for a university degree. I think some people feel threatened now that since some high ranking universities are now considering applicants with BTECs or a combination of a BTEC and A levels; hence the constant comparison and circle jerk between students to keep on reminding themselves that A levels are more "academically rigorous".

Thanks for sharing - do you think it's right that unis accept them for courses they offer? :smile:
I seriously cannot comprehend how anyone thinks doing BTEC is as challenging as doing A levels. There's a reason why the only two truly elite universities in the UK, Oxford and Cambridge, don't accept them as suitable for the harder academic courses. If you plan to study a vocational subject, then, by all means, do BTEC, but if you want to do a rigorous and tough academic course, do A levels.

TL;DR A levels are harder than BTECs, but that doesn't mean all students are more suited to doing a levels.
Original post by DingusDongus
I seriously cannot comprehend how anyone thinks doing BTEC is as challenging as doing A levels. There's a reason why the only two truly elite universities in the UK, Oxford and Cambridge, don't accept them as suitable for the harder academic courses. If you plan to study a vocational subject, then, by all means, do BTEC, but if you want to do a rigorous and tough academic course, do A levels.

TL;DR A levels are harder than BTECs, but that doesn't mean all students are more suited to doing a levels.

Thanks for posting

You look at BTECs as not being as challenging but only academically. Don't you think BTECs can be challenging in other ways that teaches you alternative skills?
Thanks for posting

You look at BTECs as not being as challenging but only academically. Don't you think BTECs can be challenging in other ways that teaches you alternative skills?

Absolutely. It was designed for students who either aren't interested or good at academic subjects and want to pursue a more vocational career. There's nothing wrong with doing a BTEC, it's just easier than a levels, and you don't need to do anywhere near as much work to get the top grades.
Absolutely. It was designed for students who either aren't interested or good at academic subjects and want to pursue a more vocational career. There's nothing wrong with doing a BTEC, it's just easier than a levels, and you don't need to do anywhere near as much work to get the top grades.

That is very interesting. I know a lot of people prefer them if they don't like exams but to say they are for those not interested in academic subjects can be a bit inaccurate.
There are a few threads popping up saying A-levels should be the only option. What does everyone think?

Oxford accept BTECs with a standard grade comparison to A levels

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/entrance-requirements?wssl=1

BTEC Nationals

BTEC Nationals include qualifications equivalent to A-levels, so students studying these qualifications would be welcome to apply. A D grade (distinction) in a BTEC National would be considered equivalent to an A at A-level, and a D* in a BTEC National would be considered equivalent to an A* at A-level.
Conditional offers would usually be:

Extended Diploma with D*D*D to DDD, depending on the course.

Diploma with DD plus an A grade at A-level, possibly with one or two * grades, depending on the course.

Subsidiary Diploma with D plus two A grades at A-level, possibly with one or two * grades, depending on the course.

Reply 32
There are a few threads popping up saying A-levels should be the only option. What does everyone think?

It shouldn't. Students should feel comfortable and confident enough to choose what qualifications they wish to do.
Thanks for sharing - do you think it's right that unis accept them for courses they offer? :smile:

It's not up to me to decide if it is right or not. If universities feel that BTECs are good enough preparation for their courses, then who am I to disagree with their judgement? Although I do think it is ultimately a good thing.
It's not up to me to decide if it is right or not. If universities feel that BTECs are good enough preparation for their courses, then who am I to disagree with their judgement? Although I do think it is ultimately a good thing.

Ah - I was only asking because I was curious what you thought :h:
Ah - I was only asking because I was curious what you thought :h:

Well, as I said I do think it is a good thing. Even though I never did a BTEC, I do prefer more practical based learning.
Well, as I said I do think it is a good thing. Even though I never did a BTEC, I do prefer more practical based learning.

That's good then :smile: thanks for sharing your view :h:
Anyone else want to share their view? :smile:

Have any of you applied to do a BTEC or apprenticeship and how have your family and friends viewed this?

Looking forward to hear your thoughts :h:
(edited 6 years ago)
Just throwing a couple of questions out there:

Does anybody here think that BTECs don't prepare people for working life? If you do/don't, why? :smile:
It's that time of year when we get results - has anyone received their's yet? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending