The Student Room Group

MA, BSc, BA, what does it all mean?!

I've been looking at uni's and I have no idea what all these different things mean! Some say that MA is for postgrad and some, mostly Scottish I've noticed, say that MA is undergrad.... None of it makes sense!

I'd really appreciate some help with this! It's a little bit stressful!
Original post by sammagnus2016
I've been looking at uni's and I have no idea what all these different things mean! Some say that MA is for postgrad and some, mostly Scottish I've noticed, say that MA is undergrad.... None of it makes sense!

So a BA is a Bachelor of Arts, BSc is Bachelor of Science, both are undergraduate degrees. A Scottish MA is basically the exact same as an English BA :smile: there are master's courses called an MA and this is obviously different to the Scottish undergrad MA!

Posted from TSR Mobile
GCSE, A'Level, BA/BSc (Bachelor degrees), MA/MSc (Master degrees). Thats the general order to these qualifications.
Reply 3
Original post by sammagnus2016

BA is a Bachelor of Arts, an undergraduate degree.

BSc is a Bachelor of Sciences, an undergraduate degree. BEng is a Bachelor of Engineering.

MA* and MSc are postgraduate degrees, but see below.

MSci, MMath and MEng are undergraduate integrated masters. So you get to the masters (postgrad) level whilst doing a single course. They take 1 year longer than a usual undergrad course for Science, Maths or Engineering.

PhD is Doctor of Philosophy, a longer postgraduate course.

*The Ancient Scottish Universities, and Oxbridge and Trinity College Dublin can award MAs for undergrad courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest