The Student Room Group

Is it worth doing a UKCAT test-run?

Hello everyone, I'm planning to apply for GEM next year for 2019 entry. I'm planning to sit the GAMSAT next March (hopefully I'll do well enough to not need to resit), but I was wondering if it's worth doing a test-run for the UKCAT at the end of September. Just to see how I do. I know it'll cost me but if I can scrape up the money, would it be worth it?

Reply 1
Original post by gradmed305
Hello everyone, I'm planning to apply for GEM next year for 2019 entry. I'm planning to sit the GAMSAT next March (hopefully I'll do well enough to not need to resit), but I was wondering if it's worth doing a test-run for the UKCAT at the end of September. Just to see how I do. I know it'll cost me but if I can scrape up the money, would it be worth it?

You can do practice papers online for free. They'll give you a mark but not a score though
Reply 2
If you can afford it, it won´t hurt. You would be able to familiarise yourself with the room and the equipment.

However, I would save the money and spend it on a Medify subscription next year. This should help you more, gives you loads of practice and the format is quite similar to the real thing.
Reply 3
Original post by mamly042
If you can afford it, it won´t hurt. You would be able to familiarise yourself with the room and the equipment.

However, I would save the money and spend it on a Medify subscription next year. This should help you more, gives you loads of practice and the format is quite similar to the real thing.

I looked at the subscription price and can easily get that when the time comes. But do you think doing a test-run now will be beneficial in the long run? Because I'm assuming that no matter which resources you use, it'll always be a surprise on the day?
Reply 4
Hey :-) The only drawback really is the expense however, I wouldn't say that taking the test this year would be of any significant benefit. Firstly because it'll be a whole year before sitting your actual test and secondly because if you want to get a realistic idea of what the UKCAT is like, you can do one of the mocks on the official website.

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med
Well if the only drawback is the money needed, then I'd say it could certainly be helpful.
Reply 6
Yeah it'll help you see how it really is like
Reply 7
Original post by gradmed305
I looked at the subscription price and can easily get that when the time comes. But do you think doing a test-run now will be beneficial in the long run? Because I'm assuming that no matter which resources you use, it'll always be a surprise on the day?

If you think it will make you feel better next year if you sit it this year already, go for it. Every little helps when it comes to the UKCAT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending