Sitting Edexcel A-Levels Maths in 2019 Watch

MyNameIsUsername
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey guys. I know the reform has just begun but I am aware, after some research, that the final opportunity to resit legacy exams will be in 2019.
Do please correct me if I am wrong.

My question is, can I sit legacy AS and A2 Further Maths exams in 2019 all in one go for the first time?

The situation is this that I have already got my final grade in maths some time ago and want to resit at least one module from it to push my grade to a high A which I can do this next year in summer. I would also like to study Further Maths entirely and have already bought the books FP1, FP2, FP3, M3, M4, M5, D1, D2. I wish to study from these books and sit their exams in 2019 ideally. Is that possible?

Thank You and apologies if any confusion caused.

Posted from TSR Mobile
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MyNameIsUsername)
Hey guys. I know the reform has just begun but I am aware, after some research, that the final opportunity to resit legacy exams will be in 2019.
Do please correct me if I am wrong.

My question is, can I sit legacy AS and A2 Further Maths exams in 2019 all in one go for the first time?

The situation is this that I have already got my final grade in maths some time ago and want to resit at least one module from it to push my grade to a high A which I can do this next year in summer. I would also like to study Further Maths entirely and have already bought the books FP1, FP2, FP3, M3, M4, M5, D1, D2. I wish to study from these books and sit their exams in 2019 ideally. Is that possible?

Thank You and apologies if any confusion caused.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You won't be able to sit legacy further maths for the first time in summer 2019.
Summer 2019 legacy exams are exclusively for resits.
As long as you take FP1, FP2, FP3, M3, M4, M5, D1, D2 in summer 2018 you would be allowed to retake them in 2019 if you can find a centre that is offering them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Humz007
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm currently in year 13 - the last cohort to sit legacy maths. Nice to see I can re-sit them next year if needed.
I'm also interested in self-learning further maths during a gap year. How does new FM work?
Prasiortle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Humz007)
I'm currently in year 13 - the last cohort to sit legacy maths. Nice to see I can re-sit them next year if needed.
I'm also interested in self-learning further maths during a gap year. How does new FM work?
Like the new A-Level Maths, the new A-Level Maths is linear, but the content is not completely prescribed by the government, and so there is some variation in the different optional papers available - e.g. some boards have a "discrete mathematics" option or an "extra pure" option in addition to the usual further mechanics and further statistics.
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Humz007)
As Prasiortle has said above, the new FM is a linear qualification. I've checked with all examiners who have confirmed its ok to take legacy maths and new specification FM. Edexcel did point out that anyone taking legacy maths will not have studied all of the content in the new linear maths A level which is assumed knowledge for FM. These gaps (mostly in stats/mechanics topics) may need to be addressed. Half of the new FM is prescribed content that is the same for all examiners, half is made up of options that vary by examiner and are explained in detail in the specification that you will find on their web sites.
Humz007
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gdunne42)
As @Prasiortie has said above, the new FM is a linear qualification. I've checked with all examiners who have confirmed its ok to take legacy maths and new specification FM. Edexcel did point out that anyone taking legacy maths will not have studied all of the content in the new linear maths A level which is assumed knowledge for FM. These gaps (mostly in stats/mechanics topics) may need to be addressed. Half of the new FM is prescribed content that is the same for all examiners, half is made up of options that vary by examiner and are explained in detail in the specification that you will find on their web sites.
After now looking through the new spec, I see how it works.
Thanks for the heads up about lack of prior knowledge. Looks like I'll need to revise some legacy S2 before starting FS1.
Sena5
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
https://snag.gy/SIwgMm.jpg

Can someone explain how to take Maths for IAS and IAL?
It's very confusing.
Maths and pure maths the same or and only pure maths and further maths can be done as two subjects or can I do statistics as the third subject or mechanics as another subject to qualify three subjects overall in ALevel?
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Sena5)
https://snag.gy/SIwgMm.jpg

Can someone explain how to take Maths for IAS and IAL?
It's very confusing.
Maths and pure maths the same or and only pure maths and further maths can be done as two subjects or can I do statistics as the third subject or mechanics as another subject to qualify three subjects overall in ALevel?
You can only gain 2 A levels by doing Maths and Further maths. The allowed combinations of units are explained in the specification.
I don't believe a Statistics A level is offered internationally and there is no mechanics A level.
It is possible to take a pure maths A level by completing the right unit exams but you can't use the same unit result twice. I've seen people claim that if you repeat the 6 unit exams required for pure maths in a different exam period you could be awarded the A level. I don't know if it's true.
Last edited by gdunne42; 10 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (41)
27.15%
No (110)
72.85%

Watched Threads