Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi ya. doing a-levels this september and am looking for a career in either mathematics or science or a combination of both. I have got an A* in Maths at GCSE so will definitely be taking maths and further maths.
    I will take on all three sciences at A-level as well but i may drop one but don't know which one. i 've spoken with science teachers at my school and all say that you have to have chemistry cause biology and physics will have some elements of Chemistry in it so its like a good support subject. It all comes down to either dropping Physics or Biology.
    i also know that with maths mathematical side of physics will be a doddle for me so i might drop biology. what will i miss out at uni if i do drop. is science hard to do and have any students done similar subjects to me?

A* at maths GCSE doesnt mean that you can "definitely" cope with advanced maths A-level. :rolleyes:

But if you really are as good as you think then I'd say drop biology, it's less related to chemistry, maths and physics I think.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends what kind of degree you want to do. If you want to do a degree relating to engineering then you might want to keep physics. However if you want to do a degree related to medicine then you might want to keep biology. Although I think you might be able to do medicine without biology if you have chemistry (but it may depend on the uni I think).

(Original post by Swing)
    A* at maths GCSE doesn’t mean that you can "definitely" cope with advanced maths A-level.
    I found math at A-level a bit hard than what I had done for my GCSEs but then that might just be me (and its true for all a levels I think).

K xx

ReputationRep:
    I did further maths, maths, bio and chem in as. I then drop further maths in the third term coz maths takes up more time(more than half) to revise coz you need practise.
    I was thinking the same thing too, I got A*(not boasting) in GCSE Maths and thought that it would be easy, it's hard work and you need to keep on pracitse. another reason is I want to do science course in uni,if I use more time on Maths, my sciences would be pull down.
    if you are doing it, good luck for statistic (may be I'm a bit dumb) coz the theory part at the beginning was quite hard.
    think about half of your timetable will be maths (it may be fun or not fun)

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry and physics definitely both link with maths, and are useful to each other, with things like nuclear structure and radiation. Biology smells.

ReputationRep:
    Why drop any of them? If you are as good at maths as you say then you should cope fine with all of them.

I took Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computing (plus the pointless waste of time that is General Studies) and got AAAAA plus C in the afformentioned pointless waste of time. Though I suspect biology is more work than computing, it shouldnt be too hard to pull off I shouldnt think.

At least, try taking all of them and if its too much then decide what to drop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kupo_nut)
    Why drop any of them? If you are as good at maths as you say then you should cope fine with all of them.

I took Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computing (plus the pointless waste of time that is General Studies) and got AAAAA plus C in the afformentioned pointless waste of time. Though I suspect biology is more work than computing, it shouldnt be too hard to pull off I shouldnt think.

At least, try taking all of them and if its too much then decide what to drop.
    lol.

I am planning to do Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. Some people have warned me that it is very hard to do, and that the work load is large, but I think that I'll manage.

If you don't know which to drop, start all five and drop the one you don't like after a term or so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samdavyson)
    lol.

I am planning to do Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. Some people have warned me that it is very hard to do, and that the work load is large, but I think that I'll manage.

If you don't know which to drop, start all five and drop the one you don't like after a term or so.
    That's what i plan to do. However, I will most probably drop F. Maths because it is taught out of block and during lunch hour etc.

ReputationRep:
    note that doing Maths and F. Maths for AS is just the same as doing your A2 in Maths in 1 year. So if you think you can cope with that but not the more advanced maths, then you can always drop it after AS. That way, you only have to worry about 2 or 3 other subjects in your second year

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.