The Student Room Group

Should i choose university of reading or university of sussex ?

Should i choose university of reading or university of sussex ? As the overall ranking , university of sussex has a higher ranking . However , some of my friends told me that university of reading is a better uni . I have no idea . What do you guys think ?
I think it depends what course you're studying, I wouldn't always look at the rankings and tables but I'd look at the satisfactory rates for the uni or people on your course and see how happy people are their
Original post by Jennifer0823
Should i choose university of reading or university of sussex ? As the overall ranking , university of sussex has a higher ranking . However , some of my friends told me that university of reading is a better uni . I have no idea . What do you guys think ?

Hello :smile:

Although I am slightly biased as I am a student here at Reading I would definitely recommend this University! I have just finished my second year of Food Science and have started my placement year and so far have had a fantastic time!

Its not always about the rankings, for my course University of Reading was not at the top of the league table but I just felt more at home on the campus. I can't see how our course could be any better, have you been to visit both of these unis? If you haven't I would recommend that and see which one you could see yourself studying at and feeling most comfortable.

I really like the fact that Reading is a campus uni with lots of green space, so in the summer you can spend lots of time outside with your friends! It really does feel like a community away from the town, with all the University accommodation being either on the campus or maximum 10 minutes away which makes it easy to go and see friends in first year. If you choose to move to a student house in 2nd/3rd year there are lots of options too.

We have lots of great facilities on the campus, a students union that turns into Reading's largest nightclub on Wednesdays and Saturdays with a comedy night and quiz/karaoke night during the week too. We have an international food fair and local farmers fruit and veg market on Thursdays plus a 24/7 bus to Reading train station and a 24/7 library. The students union also run all the clubs and societies - anything from ballroom dancing, baking snowsports etc so plenty to try out and a fab way to be sociable!

Within your degree (dependent on the subject) there is also the chance to pick optional modules, which can be from any department or the option to learn a language. This means you can tailor your degree to you and make it specific, which is not always available at other universities. Reading also has a big focus on careers and employability, the on campus careers centre and career modules within your degree help with gaining experience for example through summer or year long placements.

What are you thinking of studying? Then I can try to give you some more specific information.

We are only 25 minutes from London Paddington and have great travel connections to most of the UK which makes travelling home or seeing friends much easier!

Hope this has helped you, but do feel free to ask some more questions!

Alice :h:
Food Science Placement Student
Original post by Jennifer0823

You don't need to choose at this point.

If you haven't applied yet then apply to both and visit.

If you're interested in them as clearing options then again - go and visit, have a few days out getting a feel for different towns before deciding. Wonder around campus. Try to arrange to talk to staff about the course. See if someone from the student union is available to talk to about student life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending