The Student Room Group

No training contract going into third year! What to do?

At this rate I'm not going to have a TC going into my third year studying Law. What are my options here? Is it worth taking a loan out and studying the LPC afterwards, doing the one that includes an MSc for a postgrad loan? Or is it worth applying for paralegal/legal assistant roles after university and then securing a TC to pay for the LPC? I'm so confused/worried on what my options are... I really want to become a solicitor, and am definitely going to try a lot harder next year to secure both a TC and VS.
I would probably go for the second option. Getting a job as a legal assistant/paralegal gives you work experience and exposure to the legal sector, which can work in your favour when applying for training contracts. I think it makes more financial sense. If you take out the loan to do extra study, and find yourself in the same position in terms of being able to find a training contract, you will be in a worse position financially.
Reply 2
Original post by J-SP
This is a tricky one.

Paralegal work can often have a preference for those who have completed the LPC. I'd be speaking to some legal recruitment agencies to see if they can give you an indication of your profile/CV given your local market or the type of firms you want to work for. It might be the case that you can compete in the paralegal market, or not. There are some common mistakes people make when applying for paralegal work though - mainly thinking all paralegal jobs are equal and therefore you can apply to them all, and applying to permanent jobs when your profile suggests you are someone who is probably aiming for a TC so ultimately only aiming for something short term.

But at the same time, I wouldn't be rushing into the LPC even if you can find it with a PG loan. You've got to get to the heart of what's letting your applications down, and/or review your expectations of the type of firm you are applying to, and then work out if this will change while you are studying a course which doesn't really allow you to build up your CV in the same way an undergrad degree would.

There are alternatives outside of these two options though. Business services roles within law firms can be a good call if they are very junior (Business Development/Admin roles). Also look at non legal jobs with the type of clients firms you are aiming for work with. In house legal teams/compliance roles also tend to be a good call.

Also use your university careers service to get some advice/feedback on your current profile, or if you don't trust the quality of their advice, maybe even seek out some alumni currently working in the legal sector for their views (or both).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the quality advice :smile: So one other thing, say I manage to get a VS and TC next year (TC for 2020), could I do a Masters after University then start the LPC the year after that in time for the TC?
It's a bit premature to be panicking isn't it? Look at all these firms whose deadline hasn't even passed yet ...

https://www.lawcareers.net/Solicitors/TrainingContractDeadlines

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending