Segregated schools could face new inspections, says Ofsted

Watch
Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
My jaw actually dropped at this news article. I wasn't even aware that we had schools in England that segregated pupils based on sex.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-40593836
Dodgypirate
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No surprises that it's a Islamic school...
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There are many all-boys and all-girls schools dotted throughout the UK, and Ofsted never bats an eyelid at any of those. Why are they so concerned by this place I wonder? :erm: Perhaps there's more to this than just splitting pupils up for lessons, maybe concerns that the school isn't educating the segregated classes equally?
Cubone-r
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dez)
There are many all-boys and all-girls schools dotted throughout the UK, and Ofsted never bats an eyelid at any of those. Why are they so concerned by this place I wonder? :erm: Perhaps there's more to this than just splitting pupils up for lessons, maybe concerns that the school isn't educating the segregated classes equally?
The difference is those are designed to be single-sex schools; parents know what they are getting with this. Parents are sending their kids to these "mixed-sex" schools without realising they are being segregated like this.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mangatardallys)
The difference is those are designed to be single-sex schools; parents know what they are getting with this. Parents are sending their kids to these "mixed-sex" schools without realising they are being segregated like this.
The parents must surely be aware of it. A 2-minute conversation with their darling sprog would be enough to find out, or just visiting the school itself, which most of them are likely doing on a daily basis. The article you linked makes no mention of a cover-up either.
Cubone-r
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dez)
The parents must surely be aware of it. A 2-minute conversation with their darling sprog would be enough to find out, or just visiting the school itself, which most of them are likely doing on a daily basis. The article you linked makes no mention of a cover-up either.
It's not so much as it being a cover up, but these schools are labeling themselves as "mixed-sex" schools, so I think the grievance is over whether mixed-sex schools are allowed to segregate students based on sex, if they are claiming to be mixed-sex.
username2080673
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If it is indeed a segregated school masquerading as a mixed-school then that's certainly a worry. Beyond that, segregated schools in general are very unremarkable in the country.
Meany Pie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Parents are well aware, these are Islamic schools. The parents probably support it.
Cubone-r
Rep:
?
(Original post by Meany Pie)
Parents are well aware, these are Islamic schools. The parents probably support it.
Parents is one thing, but is it abiding by our laws? Can a labelled mixed-sex school be allowed to segregate pupils like this?
Meany Pie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Parents is one thing, but is it abiding by our laws? Can a labelled mixed-sex school be allowed to segregate pupils like this?
That is what the courts are for.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dez)
There are many all-boys and all-girls schools dotted throughout the UK, and Ofsted never bats an eyelid at any of those. Why are they so concerned by this place I wonder?
I can't see why you are puzzled about why it is obviously wrong. The pupils are being reinforced in the acceptability and normality of males having precedence over females, and are not being prepared for life in Britain (unless they are being trained how to live in a religious ghetto, of course, which may be the case).
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
I can't see why you are puzzled about why it is obviously wrong. The pupils are being reinforced in the acceptability and normality of males having precedence over females, and are not being prepared for life in Britain (unless they are being trained how to live in a religious ghetto, of course, which may be the case).
Simply splitting classes isn't "males having precedence over females", though. That would only be the case if the two groups were receiving different educations, or being treated differently in some other manner. That's why I'm wondering if there's not more to this story than meets the eye, it seems really odd for Ofsted to focus on this school when segregation is so incredibly common in this country.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dez)
Simply splitting classes isn't "males having precedence over females", though.
It doesn't matter. Once you start accepting that the sexes are split when in proximity to one another it becomes unnoticeable and natural when the men are at the front, receive a bigger inheritance, have their evidence treated as worth that of two women or take the lead in everything. It is insidious brainwashing, and quite unfit for the twenty-first century UK.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It doesn't matter. Once you start accepting that the sexes are split when in proximity to one another it becomes unnoticeable and natural when the men are at the front, receive a bigger inheritance, have their evidence treated as worth that of two women or take the lead in everything. It is insidious brainwashing, and quite unfit for the twenty-first century UK.
I don't know what kind of school you attended, but there were definitely no inheritance programs at my local comprehensive. :eyeball:
SCIENCE :D
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
All faith schools should be banned in my opinion, only creates further divide in society.

#Make Britain Atheist.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dez)
I don't know what kind of school you attended, but there were definitely no inheritance programs at my local comprehensive. :eyeball:
You are clearly being deliberately obtuse. Normalising different treatment of males and females at such a young age brainwashes them into accepting (and expecting) such treatment in all fields of later life.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You are clearly being deliberately obtuse. Normalising different treatment of males and females at such a young age brainwashes them into accepting (and expecting) such treatment in all fields of later life.
So why is that okay for Eton and Roedean but not for this particular school?
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dez)
So why is that okay for Eton and Roedean but not for this particular school?
Segregation in a mixed environment is clearly not the same as single-sex schooling, as these beliefs and attitudes are not being inculcated, demonstrated and reinforced in the latter.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Segregation in a mixed environment is clearly not the same as single-sex schooling, as these beliefs and attitudes are not being inculcated, demonstrated and reinforced in the latter.
If you say so, but it doesn't seem that different to me. I'd be far more concerned if teaching standards were not being kept equal, simply splitting classes should be fine so long as there is equal treatment.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dez)
If you say so, but it doesn't seem that different to me. I'd be far more concerned if teaching standards were not being kept equal, simply splitting classes should be fine so long as there is equal treatment.
That's what they said about segregated buses in the USA. They all got a ride to school, didn't they?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (85)
14.19%
I'm not sure (27)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (189)
31.55%
I have already dropped out (12)
2%
I'm not a current university student (286)
47.75%

Watched Threads