York=Southamptom>Loughborough
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by David Maverick)
Please give pro's and Con's
Best for what? Why have you shortlisted those 3?

And, specifically, which course are you considering?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dot.Cotton
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'd go York > Southampton >>>> Loughborough.

York and Southampton are both half decent, whereas Loughborough is mediocre at best and extremely overrated by the league tables.
Lovinlife2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Please give pro's and Con's
What course(s) are you going for?
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dot.Cotton)
I'd go York > Southampton >>>> Loughborough.

York and Southampton are both half decent, whereas Loughborough is mediocre at best and extremely overrated by the league tables.
O rly?

Loughborough - TEF Gold
York - TEF Silver
Southampton - TEF Bronze
username3035674
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Best for what? Why have you shortlisted those 3?

And, specifically, which course are you considering?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Best for science department, campus, social life and city
and I'm considering studying physics
username3035674
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lovinlife2)
What course(s) are you going for?
Physics
Dot.Cotton
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
O rly?

Loughborough - TEF Gold
York - TEF Silver
Southampton - TEF Bronze
The TEF is a load of BS. Do you really think Bishop Grosseteste and Liverpool Hope are better universities than LSE?
username3035674
Rep:
?
I want to study physics and these three universities came up as very good for it's reputation, but I want to know which has the best physics course, campus, city social life, nightlife/clubs and sporting facilities
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I want to study physics and these three universities came up as very good for it's reputation, but I want to know which has the best physics course, campus, city social life, nightlife/clubs and sporting facilities
Have you visited them?

Check the detailed course descriptions.

Southampton is a city university, not really a campus in the same way as Loughborough or York. Loughborough has a very large campus with excellent sports facilities (it's the leading sport university in the UK).

But I wouldn't say any of your 3 are especially "well known" for Physics...
storm95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
quite a vague question. it is all down to the course, what modules they teach because i know it differs from uni to uni, the location, and your personal preference. league tables don't mean anything.
Cubone-r
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dot.Cotton)
The TEF is a load of BS. Do you really think Bishop Grosseteste and Liverpool Hope are better universities than LSE?
Clearly in terms of teaching practices, they are.
username3035674
Rep:
?
Have you visited them?

Check the detailed course descriptions.

Southampton is a city university, not really a campus in the same way as Loughborough or York. Loughborough has a very large campus with excellent sports facilities (it's the leading sport university in the UK).

But I wouldn't say any of your 3 are especially "well known" for Physics...
Thanks for the reply and I'm going to visit them soon but I just want get some people's opinion just in case I can't visit them
username3035674
Rep:
?
Which university out of those three has the best nightlife and entertainment
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Which university out of those three has the best nightlife and entertainment
I don't think any of those 3 are particularly renowned for "nightlife"

https://university.which.co.uk/advic...ults#nightlife

But as Southampton is the bigger city I'd hazard it has the "better" nightlife.

That said Loughborough consistently tops the polls for best overall student experience
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...xperience.html

And https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=1599489
Lovinlife2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Physics
Okay, so this year, 2017, according to league tables for Physics, the ranking of those universities are as follows:

Southampton (18th)
York (23rd)
Loughborough (28th)

I'm assuming that you are going to be studying a three year degree in Physics for these next points. All academic viewpoints are taken from Unistats.

Southampton pros:
- Student satisfaction overall is highest out of the three universities with 94% overall satisfied with their course.
- Employment salary after 6 months of graduation is also the highest, with graduates earning £24,000 after the course (but this is a general estimate bear in mind).
- Plenty of accommodation rooms available to choose from.
- Academic support and organisation of the course are high.
- Russell Group University

Southampton cons:
- If you do not enjoy exams then with warning, this is a very exam based degree; 2nd and 3rd years have 69% and 77% exam based assessments respectively.
- 66% of students are satisfied with their students union (mot entirely bad but can be improved, but because Southampton is a city, there's lots to do outside of campus I guess).

York pros:
- Consistently high satisfaction rates with regards to the course (feedback, lecturers explaining things, academic support).
- The course at York has helped students to develop themselves personally (through gaining new skills).
- Roughly equal ratio of exams to coursework based assessments
- Shared/ensuite, catered/self catered options for accommodations are available
- Russel Group University

York cons:
- Most expensive accommodation costs out of the three universities.
- 60% are satisfied with their student's union (but again, you can enjoy nightlife outside of campus).

Loughborough pros:
- Cheapest accommodation fees out of the three universities
- Shared/ensuite, catered/self catered rooms available with Towers Hall catering students for 7 days in the week.
- Highest satisfaction out of the three universities for their students union with 90% satisfied. (Have visited the uni and it's actually brilliant).
- Shops are in close proximity as it is a university town.
- Brilliant sporting facilities.

Loughborough cons:
- Though it isn't a really really small town, it is still far smaller than a city, so it will be definitely quieter than Southampton and York.
- Not much to do in the town, but the student's union greatly compensates for this. Access by car/train/coach to Nottingham and Birmingham for bigger nights out.
- Non Russell Group university

All three universities give additional accreditation to the Physics course.

Hope this helps
username3035674
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lovinlife2)
Okay, so this year, 2017, according to league tables for Physics, the ranking of those universities are as follows:

Southampton (18th)
York (23rd)
Loughborough (28th)

I'm assuming that you are going to be studying a three year degree in Physics for these next points. All academic viewpoints are taken from Unistats.

Southampton pros:
- Student satisfaction overall is highest out of the three universities with 94% overall satisfied with their course.
- Employment salary after 6 months of graduation is also the highest, with graduates earning £24,000 after the course (but this is a general estimate bear in mind).
- Plenty of accommodation rooms available to choose from.
- Academic support and organisation of the course are high.
- Russell Group University

Southampton cons:
- If you do not enjoy exams then with warning, this is a very exam based degree; 2nd and 3rd years have 69% and 77% exam based assessments respectively.
- 66% of students are satisfied with their students union (mot entirely bad but can be improved, but because Southampton is a city, there's lots to do outside of campus I guess).

York pros:
- Consistently high satisfaction rates with regards to the course (feedback, lecturers explaining things, academic support).
- The course at York has helped students to develop themselves personally (through gaining new skills).
- Roughly equal ratio of exams to coursework based assessments
- Shared/ensuite, catered/self catered options for accommodations are available
- Russel Group University

York cons:
- Most expensive accommodation costs out of the three universities.
- 60% are satisfied with their student's union (but again, you can enjoy nightlife outside of campus).

Loughborough pros:
- Cheapest accommodation fees out of the three universities
- Shared/ensuite, catered/self catered rooms available with Towers Hall catering students for 7 days in the week.
- Highest satisfaction out of the three universities for their students union with 90% satisfied. (Have visited the uni and it's actually brilliant).
- Shops are in close proximity as it is a university town.
- Brilliant sporting facilities.

Loughborough cons:
- Though it isn't a really really small town, it is still far smaller than a city, so it will be definitely quieter than Southampton and York.
- Not much to do in the town, but the student's union greatly compensates for this. Access by car/train/coach to Nottingham and Birmingham for bigger nights out.
- Non Russell Group university

All three universities give additional accreditation to the Physics course.

Hope this helps
It really does thank you so much I think I have a better Idea of what to choose
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (76)
23.6%
No (246)
76.4%

Watched Threads