The Student Room Group

Lets talk about race x

Do you think racism still exists (as in do you think society is still racist )
probably does still exist just less prevelent/covert
Nah not at all it went extinct when the dinosaurs did
OF COURSE racism still exists. Like not trying to be rude but what sorta question is this? its kinda you know.
Racism will always be a thing, no matter what you do to try and stop it.
Of course it still exists but in my opinion it is much less prevalent. The world is now much more connected, when that happens, misconceptions people have about each other is removed to a great extend. It's much harder to be influenced by racist ideas if you have friends, colleagues of different ethnicity etc. Ultimately, racist people pray on ones ignorance about a certain group and feed you lies and misconceptions about them in order to get you to think negatively of them. But being connected with people of various background can help make one insulated against that level of ignorance.
yh
Lol no offence, but I hate threads like this. Trolls get drawn to it.
Original post by l_nleya

Every single person on this world has a little bit of racism in them, automatically... but I think it is starting to fade away. People are nice to each other now
100% it exists. It exists on this forum too. Very easy to spot, you dont need to look far lol.

Being in a multi-ethnic society has perhaps lessened it.
But it can also increase through news (hate crime, terrorist attacks, immigration etc.)
Like people hating anyone they think looks "muslim" or like an "immigrant" ...
Everywhere tbh
it still exists everywhere
yes, it does. however, race is not a social construct.

if it were, then different races would not have different skull shapes and/or susceptibility to diseases.
Depends on where you live, and whether there's been any eventful happenings that could spark racial tension
Obviously.
Original post by l_nleya

I think if an MP can get away with using the n word in public, yes I think society is still racist
It always has, is, and always will exist. We are hard-wired to spot the differences between each-other first, before we actually get to know each-other and find out what we have in common. Any talk of it not existing is wishful thinking, whilst racism varies largely on the times and area. It's more of a matter of intellect. However it's more racial tensions than racism in itself. A smart person will see the difference but would inquire and find out more about the person, maybe finding they may not actually be so different.

A lot more of the narrow-minded people look at the difference alone and just jump to an immediate conclusion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending