The Student Room Group

Will taking multivitamin pills help to substitute for my reduced calorific intake?

I'm planning to get my calorific intake to about 900-1000 calories and am worried about my body falling apart basically. I'm going to be cutting out most things and going almost vegan (still gonna have a relatively high fat diet though) so was wondering if taking multivitamin pills would help reduce the risk of deficiency issues?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Jerry Springer
I'm planning to get my calorific intake to about 900-1000 calories and am worried about my body falling apart basically. I'm going to be cutting out most things and going almost vegan (still gonna have a relatively high fat diet though) so was wondering if taking multivitamin pills would help reduce the risk of deficiency issues?

Thanks

I assume this will be temporary thing? You will be fine. It's not really about how much you eat, when it comes to deficiencies. But WHAT you eat. You can be obese and still vitamin deficient if you eat crap. I survived many, many months on 300-500kcal a day without any serious long term damage. So yeah, just choose lots of vitamin rich fresh fruits and vegs
Original post by Ciel.
I assume this will be temporary thing? You will be fine. It's not really about how much you eat, when it comes to deficiencies. But WHAT you eat. You can be obese and still vitamin deficient if you eat crap. I survived many, many months on 300-500kcal a day without any serious long term damage. So yeah, just choose lots of vitamin rich fresh fruits and vegs

Yeah I'm gonna do it for about a year. I'm also trying to save money so will be buying from my local market which means that I'm going to be eating seasonally and this is why I was a bit concerned. I'll admit, vegetables are no problem but I'm really not a big fruit person :redface:
Reply 3
Yeah I'm gonna do it for about a year. I'm also trying to save money so will be buying from my local market which means that I'm going to be eating seasonally and this is why I was a bit concerned. I'll admit, vegetables are no problem but I'm really not a big fruit person :redface:

You are probably going to lose tons of weight doing that. Really hope that you actually need to lose weight, and that this isn't some pro ana ****. Because it's really not worth it............

Thanks

DON'T DO THIS!!! I did this and I took multivitamin pills whilst I did this and my hair fell out (I had large bald patches), no energy...and the list goes on.
Can I ask why you are doing this?? If it's for weight-loss, this will definitely not work long-term (because it's a fad diet and you'll just gain the weight back). When I ate 1700 calories of healthy food and exercised daily overtime I lost weight and I've maintained it ever since.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
DON'T DO THIS!!! I did this and I took multivitamin pills whilst I did this and my hair fell out (I had large bald patches), no energy...and the list goes on.
Can I ask why you are doing this?? If it's for weight-loss, this will definitely not work long-term (because it's a fad diet and you'll just gain the weight back). When I ate 1700 calories of healthy food and exercised daily overtime I lost weight and I've maintained it ever since.

Your hair fell out because the stuff you were eating was ****. No supplement will help if you eat crap.

Just to clarify, I still intend to eat a balanced diet...just with a lower calorie intake.
Reply 8
It's obviously not very healthy. Especially if you are doing it for more than a few weeks. Yep. But why the **** do so many people spread lies about crash diets like you do?
Just to clarify, I still intend to eat a balanced diet...just with a lower calorie intake.

:fan:
Long term it STILL doesn't won't work.
I'm not going to go into too much (biological) details but your body goes through homeostatic regulation of food intake and energy needed. When you lower you intake, overtime your body will realise and negative feedback will occur...
Personally, I don't care if you do or don't do this diet. However, after years of dieting I am certain that you will not maintain any weight loss achieved on this diet...
:fan:
Long term it STILL doesn't won't work.
I'm not going to go into too much (biological) details but your body goes through homeostatic regulation of food intake and energy needed. When you lower you intake, overtime your body will realise and negative feedback will occur...
Personally, I don't care if you do or don't do this diet. However, after years of dieting I am certain that you will not maintain any weight loss achieved on this diet...

I weigh 50kg, I only want to lose about 5kg, not 30kg.
Reply 11
WEAK. Lol, seriously, it gets easier with time.
HAVING SAID THAT...
I weigh 50kg, I only want to lose about 5kg, not 30kg.

Uhmm, you don't need to go on a strict diet for a ****ing year if you wanna lose 5 kilos. You can do it in a few weeks, without starving yourself. Just east 500calories less than you normally do, and add an hour of exercise per day. Sorted.
5kg is just the start
If you eat less than about 1200 calories a day you're going to screw your metabolism meaning when you go back to eating your normal diet you will quickly gain back the weight so don't eat less than that.
Also you need to watch your protein intake if your calories are low and you're on a vegan diet make sure you get the recommended amount for your weight and height as otherwise your hair will start to thin and you'll loose muscle mass.
I'm vegan I'd recommend taking calcium, omega 3's, B12, zinc, iodine and iron unless you are making sure these are included in your daily diet which can be quite hard unless you actively try.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks

That's a very drastic change. Even if the diet itself were healthy (which I don't think tat little calories is), the sudden change could cause a whole host of issues by itself.
I would suggest you start with a smaller change and see how it goes then maybe a bit more of a change etc.

Assuming you are planning on this for weight loss, making a drastic change for a short (or even long) time is not effective. You'll end up destroying your body and/ or just putting the weight straight back on. You don't just want to loose weight- you want to keep it off.

You're far better off just making sure you have a good healthy diet (maybe a slight calorie defecit for a while if you actually have weight to loose), doing some manageable exercise and keeping that up forever.
Look up a healthy diet, the suggested calorie intake for your age/ sex and some tips for maintaining a healthy diet. Also look into exercises that are easy to keep up. Things like getting off the bus a stop early, going swimming once a week, having a short run each evening, doing a few crunches each morning. That or an exercise that you find enjoyable and will want to do because it's fun. People's interests vary but you could try cycling, climbing, boating, running, hula hooping, dancing, yoga, etc.

If you feel like your weight is significantly high that you are wanting to take extreme measures like this it's also worth a trip to your GP to check there isn't an underlying health reason for it. Not only can they check that you are healthy, they can also advise you on a healthy way to loose the weight you want to.

You're best off talking to your doctor for advice. They can gibe you (or tell you somebody who can) a good healthy plan for what you want to achieve.

Quick Reply

Latest