Russian or Spanish? Watch

chiaramartinelli
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'll be studying Modern Languages at Durham in October. I am post A level German and was wondering which language to pick up from scratch. Russian or Spanish?
I went for Spanish at first but then thought that the Russian culture is so fascinating.. the language itself seems pretty difficult, but I'm willing to work hard (I'm at uni to do this). I come from Italy and Spanish would be easier to learn, as there are lots of similarities.
However Russian is spoken "just" in Russia, whereas Spanish in Spain and more or less the entire South America.
I really don't know what to do!
Thank you for your time, hope to get some advice
username2324315
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by chiaramartinelli)
I'll be studying Modern Languages at Durham in October. I am post A level German and was wondering which language to pick up from scratch. Russian or Spanish?
I went for Spanish at first but then thought that the Russian culture is so fascinating.. the language itself seems pretty difficult, but I'm willing to work hard (I'm at uni to do this). I come from Italy and Spanish would be easier to learn, as there are lots of similarities.
However Russian is spoken "just" in Russia, whereas Spanish in Spain and more or less the entire South America.
I really don't know what to do!
Thank you for your time, hope to get some advice
Why don't you do all 3 in your first year, and drop your least favourite after? I thought that was possible at Durham
thotproduct
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm Russian (half), myself, and am a native speaker, after having lived in Russia, I have this to say:

If you really want to go here, or a former CCCP (Soviet Union) country, such as Kazakhstan lol Or REALLY like our culture. I wouldn't advise learning Russian (At least first). It's just not, really that versatile. I've lived in the UK for many years, and asides from my family and friends back home, in my travels I have not once had the need to use Russian, however I have met many Spaniards, Franks, and Germans.

If it's a matter of both utility and fun, I'd advise Spanish, you have more of an oppurtunity to speak it, there's so many places to use it. It's very useful (There are tonnes in the USA, Central and South America...and...well...Spain).

Regardless, if you do choose to learn Russian, then good on you, it's a lovely country with lovely people, with plenty to see and do... удачи!
chiaramartinelli
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Rex Onocrotalus)
Why don't you do all 3 in your first year, and drop your least favourite after? I thought that was possible at Durham
It's possible if you have 2 languages post A-level. You can only study one language from scratch and I did only German!
username2324315
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by chiaramartinelli)
It's possible if you have 2 languages post A-level. You can only study one language from scratch and I did only German!
Oh I see. Personally I think Spanish would come in more useful, and it would be easier to learn - Spanish culture and literature is fascinating as well! The British Council have also said that Spanish is the language the UK needs most in the future:

https://www.britishcouncil.org/sites...ure-report.pdf
RussianQuestion
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Russian - it's very commonly learnt with German (the grammar of the two languages coincides quite nicely). In many cases, Russian is harder than Spanish, so if you want the push, it'll be good to have it in a uni environment. Also, Russian is spoken in many ex Soviet countries. Russian also opens up GCHQ doors...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • Middlesex University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (165)
18.46%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.18%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.55%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.65%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.51%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.65%

Watched Threads