The Student Room Group

Bank student account for 17 yo EU student

I will start uni this September and I am 17 yo. Which is the best bank student account in this case? Which are the options? Thank you!
Original post by the_queen
I will start uni this September and I am 17 yo. Which is the best bank student account in this case? Which are the options? Thank you!

Hi

I checked several accounts for you and your choices are limited because you are an international student and only 17.

Bank accounts tend to be basic for international students, so no credit facilities.
HSBC, Santander and Barclays are no ood because you need to be 18

You can get an account with Natwest - normal UK high street bank. has to eb set up over here and you need to go into a branch.

http://personal.natwest.com/personal/current-accounts/compare-current-accounts/student-account/student-account-international-students.html

You can set up an account with Unizest Internet bank account that will work fine. £3 a month. It can be set up from your home country.
http://www.unizest.co.uk/

You can always move to another bank when you are 18.

Personally id probably give unizest a go.

What country are you from? It's likely that there's a branch of Barclays or HSBC in your country - it's much easier to set up an account with an international bank like this in your home country, and then transfer it to the UK when you come to study. You can also then sometimes take advantage of your 'credit history' (such as it is) in your home country and access a mainstream current account or student account (As you're under 18, you won't be able to have any credit facilities such as an overdraft until then anyway)

If you open one in this country as a student they would limit you to a basic bank account due to the lack of credit history - this means no overdraft or chequebook
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Hi

I checked several accounts for you and your choices are limited because you are an international student and only 17.

Bank accounts tend to be basic for international students, so no credit facilities.
HSBC, Santander and Barclays are no ood because you need to be 18

You can get an account with Natwest - normal UK high street bank. has to eb set up over here and you need to go into a branch.

http://personal.natwest.com/personal/current-accounts/compare-current-accounts/student-account/student-account-international-students.html

You can set up an account with Unizest Internet bank account that will work fine. £3 a month. It can be set up from your home country.
http://www.unizest.co.uk/

You can always move to another bank when you are 18.

Personally id probably give unizest a go.

Thank you! I will check!
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
What country are you from? It's likely that there's a branch of Barclays or HSBC in your country - it's much easier to set up an account with an international bank like this in your home country, and then transfer it to the UK when you come to study. You can also then sometimes take advantage of your 'credit history' (such as it is) in your home country and access a mainstream current account or student account (As you're under 18, you won't be able to have any credit facilities such as an overdraft until then anyway)

If you open one in this country as a student they would limit you to a basic bank account due to the lack of credit history - this means no overdraft or chequebook

even if I am under 18?
even if I am under 18?

Barclays offers a 'Young Person's account' for 16-19 year-olds with a debit card. But it won't have any credit facilities like loans and overdrafts. HSBC has a basic account for 16+ or a children's account. You can upgrade these accounts once your 18 - but the point I'm trying to make is that it might be easier to do this in your home country before you leave than after (though it's perfectly possible to do it here)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending