Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I mean is it that much of a sacrifice to your social life? I hear you have to have new ideas or develop new theories and stuff like that. Does anyone have any tips or things they've picked up on what exactly it takes to get a first? I mean I'm aware that aiming for a first may be a little unrealistic but it's good to aim high right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_free)
    I mean is it that much of a sacrifice to your social life? I hear you have to have new ideas or develop new theories and stuff like that. Does anyone have any tips or things they've picked up on what exactly it takes to get a first? I mean I'm aware that aiming for a first may be a little unrealistic but it's good to aim high right?
    It depends what you're studying. It is easier to get firsts in the sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_free)
    What made you change your avatar yellow taxi?
    Do you have a busy social life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    young free is yellow taxi? wow!

ReputationRep:
    Hard work.

ReputationRep:
    I'm aiming for a 1:1 and with one of my best friends doing the same course as me, we will encourage each other to do even better, like we did when we was in the same AS Psychology class last year. We absolutely ruled that class and got A-grades all the time, plus nearly full marks on the exam. We are going to encourage each other to do loads and loads of reading whenever we can to get the 1:1.

The world is evil so take every opportunity you can and make the most out of it.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that all there is to it is putting in lots and lots of work.

ReputationRep:
    tHESE WERE MY GUIDELINES FOR A FIRST AT UNI

90 – 100%
    Outstanding answer. As 80-90% but with unequivocal evidence of originality. Explicit evidence of extensive reading, which has been abstracted and integrated to inform answer.

80 – 90%
    Exceptional answer in terms of structure and content. Critical appraisal of literature and data. Some original material. Well defined arguments presented. Thorough consideration of all dominant and associated issues.

70 – 80%
    Perceptive answer incorporating all dominant issues. Logical development of arguments which are all supported by relevant literature. Evidence of extensive reading. Inspired synthesis of relevant aspects of literature. Lucid presentation.

This was for answering exam questions. To get a first u would have to sacrifice a lot of your time cause the key to a first on my course was reading and being able to argue over different theories.

ReputationRep:
    Erm getting over 80%, nevermind 90-100% in some arts subjects at decent unis can border on impossible - eg a 'perfect' answer in Philosophy might get you ~80%.

ReputationRep:
    You need to be prepared to work your sorry ass off and be unafraid of taking risks to be creative and innovative in your approaches to the subject...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotus_lee)
    The world is evil so take every opportunity you can and make the most out of it.
    There's many other ways of making the most out of what's given to you as opposed to slogging your guts out in the hope of getting a 1st.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotus_lee)
    I'm aiming for a 1:1 and with one of my best friends doing the same course as me, we will encourage each other to do even better, like we did when we was in the same AS Psychology class last year. We absolutely ruled that class and got A-grades all the time, plus nearly full marks on the exam. We are going to encourage each other to do loads and loads of reading whenever we can to get the 1:1.
    No such thing as a 1:1 - it's either a First or it's not. Second class is the only one that's split.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    No such thing as a 1:1 - it's either a First or it's not. Second class is the only one that's split.
    LOL, im saying nothing. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    whats a first?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)

No I am not yellowtaxi !! Didn't you read the posts after mine in that thread?!

Anyway, good answers so far, I'm getting a good insight!

ReputationRep:
    first is first class honours then its 2.1 then 2.2 etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sm0273)
    LOL, im saying nothing. :rolleyes:
    You're not? Why?

ReputationRep:
    Whats better:

1: Work hard during uni, devote time to several societies and play university sports to quite a high level and then finish with a 2:1 in Economics
    or

2: Work your ass off playing university sports now and then and also playing very small role in societies. Then finishing with a 1st class

I'd hope employers favour the first one because I plan to do all those things thereby sacrificing my dear first class degree. Surely not everyone who graduated with a first from a red-brick and went on to work for a blue chip firm, swotted their way through uni ignoring any fun activities!! Fuc* it if someone out there can do it then so can I!!!
    70% sounds so average, boy am I in for a rude awakening when I get my first essay back!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WilliamFoster)
    Whats better:

1: Work hard during uni, devote time to several societies and play university sports to quite a high level and then finish with a 2:1 in Economics
    or

2: Work your ass off playing university sports now and then and also playing very small role in societies. Then finishing with a 1st class

I'd hope employers favour the first one because I plan to do all those things thereby sacrificing my dear first class degree.
    Out of those two I'd actually say the 2nd one is more desirable. It shows that someone managed a 1st as well as sports/societies, even if the roles in the latter are relatively minor. The problem is that too many people who get a 1st have done nothing worthwhile whatsoever outside their studies.

Regarding employability I'm probably on par with someone who'll get a high 1st but done very little outside their studies. But at the end of the day who's had the most exciting university experience? Who's got the interesting anecdotes and something to look back on?

ReputationRep:
    I got told today by someone who got a first that they didn't have to sacrifice much of their social life and still found time to get involved in lots of societies and stuff. But maybe they were just clever, I don't know.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 30, 2004
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.