The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Vladek
Put in the work, turn up to lectures and do an extremly good final year project and you'll do fine, course work really is the key as i found out :smile: Do really well in that and the pressure is off of the exams to a certain extent, i'd of needed about 90% in all my finals to get a first :biggrin:

Typically how much work are we talking in terms of hours out of lectures? The only reason I ask is that I want to try and reach my full potential at Uni, whether this be a first or not - I don't want to be standing there in 4 years time wishing I'd done more work.
Vladek
lol did you get a first?

No. Might have if I hadn't gone out night before final exam having not started revision. Grr. (This is just first yr exams; my finals are next year). And I don't really have a strong passion for my subject that Richard talks about - Geography has the potential to be relevant to today's world but on our course there's too much emphasis on pointless irrelevant 16th Century academic theories.
Reply 42
female_engineer
Typically how much work are we talking in terms of hours out of lectures? The only reason I ask is that I want to try and reach my full potential at Uni, whether this be a first or not - I don't want to be standing there in 4 years time wishing I'd done more work.

Ok prepare to be bored :smile:

It varries, like in the final year i had hardly any lectures compared to the first year, it was more up to you to find out for yourself. First year i think a bad week would be 28 hours and a good week bout 18 (depending on if i had labs or not) but it goes down. Just turn up to all the lectures, go to the tutorials and do the work, even if its not marked, go to the labs and keep your work under control. You'll get told all this at uni. If i have one regret, one thing i'd change would be i'd go back and spend more time on my course work. 4% more on it overall would of got me a 2:1, so put in the effort in the course work and it'll get you a good footing for the exam and you'll understand how things work a lot better.
Vladek
Ok prepare to be bored :smile:

It varries, like in the final year i had hardly any lectures compared to the first year, it was more up to you to find out for yourself. First year i think a bad week would be 28 hours and a good week bout 18 (depending on if i had labs or not) but it goes down. Just turn up to all the lectures, go to the tutorials and do the work, even if its not marked, go to the labs and keep your work under control. You'll get told all this at uni. If i have one regret, one thing i'd change would be i'd go back and spend more time on my course work. 4% more on it overall would of got me a 2:1, so put in the effort in the course work and it'll get you a good footing for the exam and you'll understand how things work a lot better.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 44
I took a first (one of the highest in my graduating year too!) in law at UCL, so I express no opinion on other courses. I certainly didn't have to sacrifice my social or extra-curricular life at university - I had a great time with friends and was very involved in various activities at uni. I think organisation and efficient time management is the key.

I do not buy any of the 'I did no work at all but a first just fell on my lap (obviously because I am so incredibly clever)' remarks. You have to put a certain degree of work into your degree. Without the background knowledge, how can you write in the exams? Of course, it is true that some people need to work a lot less than others to obtain the same results. I certainly studied much less than many of friends who got 2.1s, but I did study (while doing a part-time job which I enjoyed very much)!!

I read someone's post about having passion and enthusiasm - I fully agree. I think that is especially true for humanities and social science subjects. If you are not passionate about your subject, you will not be able to express those sparkling insights with clarity under the pressure of your summer exams.

As for those who think that it makes no difference whether you get a first or a 2.1 from a top uni, all I can say is this: you obviously have never enjoyed the pleasure of being headhunted and tempted with very generous signing-on bonuses (£35000 starting pay, £4000 sign-on bonus, £2000 for clothes, 6-month secondment to New York with apartment in Manhattan, etc) by various top international employers. :-)
lawgrad

I think that is especially true for humanities and social science subjects.

No more so than others I feel.

As for those who think that it makes no difference whether you get a first or a 2.1 from a top uni, all I can say is this: you obviously have never enjoyed the pleasure of being headhunted and tempted with very generous signing-on bonuses (£35000 starting pay, £4000 sign-on bonus, £2000 for clothes, 6-month secondment to New York with apartment in Manhattan, etc) by various top international employers. :-)

Or a PhD (beginning to regret my choice now) :frown: :wink:
Reply 46
lawgrad

I don't see any of us lowly engineers getting that!

What you've said is true though, time management and feeling a natural drive for your subject are important. That's reassured me a great deal, I hope my natural enthusiasm in engineering/physics isn't proven wrong..
LifeWired

I hope my natural enthusiasm in engineering/physics isn't proven wrong..

It won't be as long as you leave the country cos there ain't no decent paid jobs here.
Reply 48
LifeWired
I don't see any of us lowly engineers getting that!

What you've said is true though, time management and feeling a natural drive for your subject are important. That's reassured me a great deal, I hope my natural enthusiasm in engineering/physics isn't proven wrong..

Nah Engineers don't get that :smile: well not for a few years anyhow. Still if lawyers disapeared tomorrow then it'd be no great loss, if engineers did we'd all be buggered :biggrin:
lawgrad
As for those who think that it makes no difference whether you get a first or a 2.1 from a top uni, all I can say is this: you obviously have never enjoyed the pleasure of being headhunted and tempted with very generous signing-on bonuses (£35000 starting pay, £4000 sign-on bonus, etc)

Without a first class degree but thanks to other credentials, I might be aiming for similar next year. But well done; where do you work?
Vladek
Still if lawyers disapeared tomorrow then it'd be no great loss, if engineers did we'd all be buggered :biggrin:

The Simpsons... "Imagine a world without any lawyers"
*Cue people walking hand in hand in harmony around the globe*
:biggrin:
Reply 51
Jools
The Simpsons... "Imagine a world without any lawyers"
*Cue people walking hand in hand in harmony around the globe*
:biggrin:

lol its funny cos its true :biggrin:
Vladek
lol its funny cos its true :biggrin:

But imagine a Britain without any Media Studies students...
Vladek
Still if lawyers disapeared tomorrow then it'd be no great loss, if engineers did we'd all be buggered :biggrin:

Damn! My Engineer Death Ray is doomed... :frown:
Jools
But imagine a Britain without any Media Studies students...

Well life clearly would grind to an immediate halt. Everyone would just stand around and go:

"omg where have all the binmen gone?"

Disclaimer: THIS IS A JOKE, GEDDIT!!????
Reply 55
ChemistBoy
Well life clearly would grind to an immediate halt. Everyone would just stand around and go:

Disclaimer: THIS IS A JOKE, GEDDIT!!????

LOL you are so gonna get hassle for that one :smile:

wouldn't you need an engineer to build it though :tongue:
Vladek
LOL you are so gonna get hassle for that one :smile:

wouldn't you need an engineer to build it though jools :tongue:

That, my friend, is the plan <evily rubs hands together>.
Reply 58
ChemistBoy
It won't be as long as you leave the country cos there ain't no decent paid jobs here.

And here I was thinking the country was in need of us engineers...! (I may actually leave this country though it looks like there are Chinese engineers that will be able to do what I do for half the salary :eek: )

Vladek
Nah Engineers don't get that :smile: well not for a few years anyhow. Still if lawyers disapeared tomorrow then it'd be no great loss, if engineers did we'd all be buggered :biggrin:

Too true! Us engineers get blamed for many things, Hindenberg, Millennium Dome, Columbia Shuttle... Need we remind people that Teflon didn't cost nothing..!

ChemistBoy

I feel at risk if I agreed :rolleyes:
LifeWired

I feel at risk if I agreed :rolleyes:

Don't worry, I'm a man, I can take it on my own. Media Studies Graduates don't scare me - bring it on!

Latest

Trending

Trending