Turn on thread page Beta

How do you actually go about getting a first? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    cos your an engineer
    But so were the other people going for the job, i wasn't going up against a Dr of medince for an engineering job

ReputationRep:
    lots of study, the "new theory" isnt necessary but anything that makes you stand out will help and most of all luck with how you do on the day and how the particular examiners you get feel about your work.

the above doesnt apply to the hard sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Yes, for academia/research obviously academic credentials are virtually all that matters.
    Jools, what type of internship did you apply for at ABN AMRO? And were you disadvantaged at all by reading Geography for a degree subject- on your placement were any hard mathematical skills needed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    But so were the other people going for the job, i wasn't going up against a Dr of medince for an engineering job
    yeah but you only do a phd in a very limited area and they could have done their research in an area that is totally unrelated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    yeah but you only do a phd in a very limited area and they could have done their research in an area that is totally unrelated.
    It wasn't, i'm just saying getting lower than a 2:1 doesn't mean you can't get a good job, i mean my mate got a 3rd and now has a good job! I just have a chip on my shoulder when people thinking if you haven't got striaght A's and then a 1st you're destined to pick up litter

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't, i'm just saying getting lower than a 2:1 doesn't mean you can't get a good job, i mean my mate got a 3rd and now has a good job! I just have a chip on my shoulder when people thinking if you haven't got striaght A's and then a 1st you're destined to pick up litter
    maybe they were socially inept then!

or maybe they didn't have the right spanners!

Engineers Rock!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    maybe they were socially inept then!

or maybe they didn't have the right spanners!

Engineers Rock!
    Nah he was a dead nice chap, anyhow moving on.

Yes they do!

ReputationRep:
    Nah he was a dead nice chap, anyhow moving on.

Yes they do!
    dunno, he clearly didn;t have the right spanners then ...

(Or maybe he just got a crap PhD?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)

maybe so.

ReputationRep:
    maybe so.
    or maybe you were just cooler than the rest of them :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)

I only have 2 spanners, adjustable ones at that, shocking! My tool kit is full of pliers and soldering irons!

Ha i doubt that

ReputationRep:
    I only have 2 spanners, adjustable ones at that, shocking! My tool kit is full of pliers and soldering irons!

Ha i doubt that
    maybe they only had 1! or none! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    maybe they only had 1! or none! :eek:
    The horror!

I think we killed another thread, you fault

ReputationRep:
    The horror! I think we killed another thread, you fault
    we're engineers we can fix it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    we're engineers we can fix it!
    Engineers and spanners seem to be Shiny's answer for everything...

Better go spanner shopping then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    Jools, what type of internship did you apply for at ABN AMRO? And were you disadvantaged at all by reading Geography for a degree subject- on your placement were any hard mathematical skills needed?
    Financial Markets. I would've been seriously disadvantaged by doing a Geography degree if I hadn't done other stuff, both inside and outside the world of finance, that demonstrated to them I'd be good in the workplace. There was a Maths test but I haven't done anything too taxing - correlation analysis etc.

ReputationRep:
    oh and if you have a social life to consider giving up then you probably arent 1st material anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queef Monket)
    oh and if you have a social life to consider giving up then you probably arent 1st material anyway.
    Not true... :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queef Monket)
    What?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by figgetyfig)
    Engineers and spanners seem to be Shiny's answer for everything...

Better go spanner shopping then.
    I recommend Snap-On spanners (wrenches) really. Engineered the best and relied upon by any decent mechanic! Except maybe Facom, they are also excellent (French made). I have several spanners, one of which is called 'Gordon' and will be accompanying me to my engineering course at Uni

(There's a long story to why it's called 'Gordon', suffice to say it's dependable...like...Gordon Ramsay and...Flash Gordon...!)

Edit:

Try here under Wrenches (near the bottom). Recommended for any engineer, even if I'm only going to be an electrical one, Shiny is right... How can we be taken seriously without spanners?!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.