Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
Wolfhall is awesome but I think theres only 1 series
Wolf Hall :love:

Well, obviously, I would recommend the Tudors, even though it is not always historical accurate. Shadow of the Tower is good too (1970s though, do hope for a remake one day).
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Airmed)
Wolf Hall :love:

Well, obviously, I would recommend the Tudors, even though it is not always historical accurate. Shadow of the Tower is good too (1970s though, do hope for a remake one day).
Thanks! I am studying Rebellion Under The Tudors next year, and I think im gonna try sneak Wolfhall into my Personal statement for History

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER alert
Spoiler:
Show

The idea that Anne Bolyne was probably set up is quite fascinating
username2080673
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Can't go wrong with BBC's War and Peace.
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks! I am studying Rebellion Under The Tudors next year, and I think im gonna try sneak Wolfhall into my Personal statement for History

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER alert
Spoiler:
Show

The idea that Anne Bolyne was probably set up is quite fascinating

Spoiler:
Show
I strongly believe she was - to an extent. I don't think her position was stable (loss of the probable boy a few months previously), but ****, Henry got Chapuys to recognise her as Queen literally a month before she was executed - and that was huge.
SuperHuman98
Rep:
?
Spoiler:
Show

I strongly believe she was - to an extent. I don't think her position was stable (loss of the probable boy a few months previously), but ****, Henry got Chapuys to recognise her as Queen literally a month before she was executed - and that was huge.

Spoiler:
Show

I am not sure who Chapuys is? :holmes:
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Wolfhall is awesome but I think theres only 1 series
It's an old one but I Claudius is marvellous and has aged pretty well.
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Spoiler:
Show

I am not sure who Chapuys is? :holmes:

Spoiler:
Show
Eustace Chapuys, the Imperial Ambassador at the time.
SuperHuman98
Rep:
?
Spoiler:
Show

Eustace Chapuys, the Imperial Ambassador at the time.
Spoiler:
Show
I am still not sure , this time next year I will be an expert hopefully
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Spoiler:
Show

I am still not sure , this time next year I will be an expert hopefully
Spoiler:
Show
Basically, Spanish ambassador 1529-1545 and his writings allow us to know so much of what was happening in the English court
chelseadagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The Crown?
kiracyan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This isn't an exhaustive list... I watch a hell of a lot of TV, but here's a good selection!

Pillars of the Earth and World Without End
-These are fictional stories set in the 12th and 14th centuries based on Ken Follet's books. They're set to a backdrop of very real monarchical British history which is super interesting and might get you looking into the context of it all.

Poldark
-Set in the late 18th century in Cornwall, there's so much going on in this series I couldn't even begin to describe it. It's brilliant though. The current series is on BBC at the minute and earlier seasons are on Netflix. The books are incredible and surprisingly funny.

Downton Abbey
-An obvious choice, it's all on Amazon Prime Video.

The Crown
-Again, pretty solid choice. On Netflix.

The White Queen
-This is AMAZING. It's set in the 15th century during the Wars of the Roses and tells the true story of how Edward IV married Elizabeth Woodville and all the drama that ensued, including some really interesting alternative points of view regarding Richard III and his role in the disappearance of the Princes in the Tower. It's based on Philippa Gregory's book of the same name which is pretty true to real events without need for much embellishment. I don't know where you can watch it but it's worth a search around for somewhere to stream it.

The White Princess
-The sequel to The White Queen. It was American produced, unlike the original so it's not quite as good in my opinion, and definitely has very limited basis in reality generally but it's still a fun watch! Again, you'd have to find it online somewhere.

Vikings
-Good if you like sex and gore, but it's actually pretty accurate in terms of social context and culture. I just wrote my dissertation on some of this history! It's on Amazon.

The Last Kingdom
-Pretty sure this is about the Danes in England and much of the consternation between English and Danelaw. Haven't finished it yet, but it's on Netflix and BBC.

Jamestown
-About an early English settlement in America. You can probably google this, but it was only on TV recently so might be able to download?

Victoria
-Jenna Coleman plays Queen Victoria brilliantly. New series coming in a few months, get on it!
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Game of Thrones is an accurate historical drama, right?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby