B1232 - Votes for 4-year-olds Bill 2017 Watch

This discussion is closed.
cranbrook_aspie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
B1232 - Votes for 4-year-olds Bill 2017, joecphillips, seconded by Hon Joel 96 MP (CON) and Rt Hon hazzer1998 MP (UKIP)

Votes For 4 Year Olds Bill 2017

This Bill would reduce the voting age in parliamentary and other elections to 4

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's [King's] most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. Reduction of the voting age
(1) The Representation of the People Act 1983 (c. 2) is amended as follows –
(a) In section 1(1)(d) (definition of voting age for parliamentary elections), for “18” to be replaced by “4”; and –
(b) In section 2(1)(d) (definition of voting age for local government elections), for “18” to be replaced by “4”.
(2) The Representation of the People Act 1985 (c. 50), in section 1(5) (entitlement to vote of oversees electors), for “18” to be replaced by “4”.

2. Commencement, short title and extent
(1) This Act may be cited as the Voting Age Reduction Bill 2017.
(2) This Act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom
(3) This Act comes into force the day it is passed.

Notes
4 year olds are at an age where they make real and consequential decisions about their lives and many significant rights are apparent.

The purpose of this bill is simple, for equity. If they are able to take on huge responsibilities of what kids to be friends with, make decisions as to whether or not they want to play a game, think about joining our armed forces and make tax contributions becoming active citizens in the process they should be able to decide who governs the country; taxation without representation being noteworthy.

Scotland is exempt from 1.(1)(b) as the voting age for local government elections is already 16 years or over.

Links to the bills being amended are - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1983/2│
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/50

Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well, I guess this gets the bill count up a bit...
cranbrook_aspie
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Joel 96 and hazzer1998 Checking as I usually do that you're both ok with seconding this.
Hazzer1998
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
Joel 96 and hazzer1998 Checking as I usually do that you're both ok with seconding this.
Aye this is fine
_gcx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Would've liked votes for foetuses but this will do.
username2080673
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Joke bill from a joke member. Alrighty.
Hazzer1998
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Conceited)
Joke bill from a joke member. Alrighty.
I remind you that a certain member of this house tried to remove the voting age
lordofbutthurt
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aye, I agree. Equality for all.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nay. It's a joke bill from a joke member, why should I care.
Joel 96
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
Aye. I'm very passionate about this issue.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aye, the reasoning for this bill is sound if the reasoning for bill B1231 is considered sound.
Nirvana1989-1994
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
4 and 16 are very different, my darlings. :rolleyes:
mysticmagic2000
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nay - are you all absolutely bonkers? Children at the age of four years old have no experience in the world and thus will have nothing to vote by. It will simply be done on a favourite colour not policies support their own views the best. Furthermore, Children have not been taught about the political parties and if questionned would not be able to distinguish between them.
username1524603
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
4 and 16 are very different, my darlings. :rolleyes:
In what way?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mysticmagic2000)
Nay - are you all absolutely bonkers? Children at the age of four years old have no experience in the world and thus will have nothing to vote by. It will simply be done on a favourite colour not policies support their own views the best. Furthermore, Children have not been taught about the political parties and if questionned would not be able to distinguish between them.
And 16 year olds have experience of the world? The closest they've had to a job is chores or a paper round.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That'sGreat
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why stop there? I think id like to see a reduction so the the fertilised egg can vote also #ItsOurFuture
Nirvana1989-1994
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
In what way?
Is this an actual question?
username1524603
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
Is this an actual question?
The same can be said when comparing 16-year-olds to 18-year-olds or 17-year-olds, the point is the bill to lower the voting age to 16 gave no justification that stands up when scrutinised.
Nirvana1989-1994
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
The same can be said when comparing 16-year-olds to 18-year-olds or 17-year-olds, the point is the bill to lower the voting age to 16 gave no justification that stands up when scrutinised.
I know the cause of this bill. *sigh*
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Amusingly if this actually passes all you whinging idiots have done is shot yourself in the foot by making the voting age even lower than you ever wanted it to be. That is why I encourage the government wholeheartedly to support this :-)

So congrats, you played yourself.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (39)
24.22%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (55)
34.16%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (27)
16.77%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (14)
8.7%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (26)
16.15%

Watched Threads