Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Student Loans during Hyperinflation Watch

ReputationRep:
    The dollar is crashing. If there is a 1930's style depression and hyper inflation sets in (20% - 30%) would you demand interest be fixed on your student loan?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    you're not in a postion to demand anything. a quick peek at the t&cs on your loan will tell you that the only action you could take would be to pay it off and not take more....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OakBeans)
    The dollar is crashing. If there is a 1930's style depression and hyper inflation sets in (20% - 30%) would you demand interest be fixed on your student loan?

If there was a second depression, the intrest rate on your student loan would be the least of your worries.

-Rob

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OakBeans)

Surely if the loan rose to such an amount then it would simply be at a level where it would go unpaid for 25 years and then be written off? The payment terms are fixed at a certain percentage of your pay (and capped once you reach a certain level), so, although the amount could rise to extortionate levels, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

ReputationRep:
    Surely in a time of hyperinflation you'd be better off? I'm fairly sure I remember in history that debtors actually came off better for a depression than those who had saved a lot, since the £4000 (or whatever) they owed stayed the same, but they were being paid ridiculous sums like £10,000 a day, if you get what I mean.

This is why I'm not an economics student.

ReputationRep:
    Current rate has doubled since i applied... under impression of 2.4% since september its 4.8%

We weren't told this direclty.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Useful resources
How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.