Turn on thread page Beta

q about going on the pill! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ok, no body i know is on the pill so this is where i have to get advice lol.

i get really bad tummy pains b4 my period and so i want to go on the pill - and also cos.. well.. i just do ok

But here is my q.

if i go to the docs on tuesday, will i go on the pill straight away? and will it stop my period??

ReputationRep:
    It depends what pill he puts you on. Some you can now start straight away but some you dont start taking til the first day of your period.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to stop your period the injection is better. I used to have really painful periods but havnt had any for the last couple of years because of the injection. It will take about 3 months for your periods to stop though

ReputationRep:
    You can start taking the pill straight away but you won't be protected for the first 7 days...it only works straight away if you take it on the first day of your period. Going on the pill doesn't stop your periods, you have a 7 day break each month in which you don't take the pill so that your period comes (this applies to most types of pill anyway). Obviously if you do not stop taking the pill during the intended 7 day break you won't get your period.

If you start taking the pill straight away it takes a week to start working. If you wait until the first day of your period, you're protected immediately. You can run packs together so you only have a period once every 7 or 10 weeks instead of once every 4.

ReputationRep:
    Or so that you don't have a period for the next 3 years (bliss!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by who_me)
    Obviously if you do not stop taking the pill during the intended 7 day break you won't get your period.
    Agh, but not always the case unfortunately.

All I'd say is make sure you explain to your doctor exactly why. I was put on it for contraception mainly, and my periods have been screwed up ever since, along with the fact that period pains were so much worse when I was on it.. and I was getting my periods more regularly. It entirely defeated the purpose of stopping cramps. So make sure you state exactly why you need it! Also.. different pills have different side affects so if you have any problems make sure you go back and discuss with your doctor, and they might be able to try you on a different pill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Homegrownkitten)
    If you want to stop your period the injection is better. I used to have really painful periods but havnt had any for the last couple of years because of the injection. It will take about 3 months for your periods to stop though

Totally agree - it's great, and I dont even like needles at all! theres some side effects, it is fairly common for the first injection (3 months) to get some headaches and nausea (I didnt however) but then its pretty much plain sailing for most people! No periods, no remembering a pill everyday :P

ReputationRep:
    I think sport is better than pills,really just try playing sport,jogging,runing,swimming couple of weeks before,it's really helpful

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend says that the pill hasnt stopped her tummy cramps, so I guess it depends what type you take? And she also still has her period..

ReputationRep:
    There are no set rules to say that your period will stop after a month, that you won't get period pains, etc etc. Some people go on the pill and continue to get normal periods, some people stop periods altogether, others have irregular cycles, some have spot-on cycles.

Also, remember that if you're going to be using it as a contraception also - back it up with something else, like condoms. I've heard of so many people who had been on the pill and gotten pregnant. The pill does not make you imune to becoming pregnant, it's important to remember that.

Feel free to PM me if you want - I've had contraception lectures drummed into me since I wound up on the wrong side of a pregnancy test at 15.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FallenSpirit)
    Also, remember that if you're going to be using it as a contraception also - back it up with something else, like condoms.
    I hate people who think like you!

(Original post by habosh)
    I think sport is better than pills,really just try playing sport,jogging,runing,swimming couple of weeks before,it's really helpful
    is the idea you get so sweaty and smelly no bloke will come near you...?

(Original post by FallenSpirit)
    I've heard of so many people who had been on the pill and gotten pregnant. The pill does not make you imune to becoming pregnant, it's important to remember that.

i agree on the using condoms too, but generally the people on the pill who get pregnant are when they dont take it as it should be taken...miss a pill or throw up or similar and don't use backup protection

those who take it absolutely perfectly and get pregnant are a very small minority

ReputationRep:
    Usually tummy cramps are reduced and so is the amount of bleeding. There is no medical reason for the sevn day break so discuss with your doctor about taking more than one pack without a break.

I don't think taking the pill straight away will stop yout period, most pills you start taking on the first day of your period.

The bleeding you get on the seven day break is not the same as a normal period which is why the cramps are reduced and also the flow is reduced.

I've never had the injection, I know people who have and some swear by it, others have had problems.

The best thing to do is to talk to your GP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    I think what she means is it stops period pains. she's right, I find exercise helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Also if you are an athlete depending on which sports you do you should be careful of whether to take it or not and exactly which side effects it will have.

ReputationRep:
    I have heard that the injection makes a lot of girls put weight on - that's why I avoided it...and I don't exactly find it hard remembering to take a pill once every day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    Wow enitstine,Use that big sphyrical thing attached to your body,
    ofcourse to prevent yourself from having those continous pains,plus there is a new thing named shower,have you ever heard of it??!

ReputationRep:
    i hate the pill and i personally would stop unmarried people taking it because i believe it makes them forget about the dangers of sti and stds.
    also i have a method to stop you having really painful peroids hust have a test for sti's and give me 5 minutes

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.