I'm a leftist who is against the Regressive Left, AMA

Watch this thread
jambojim97
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Get asking!
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
does Diane give you a frisson ?

:holmes:
ThePricklyOne
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
What's a regressive Left?
cadaanshaydaan
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Should I paint my nails orange or yellow?
MyMagicEyebrow
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
In what ways do you consider yourself left-wing, and how do you define the regressive left?
slade p
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
What do you consider the regressive left
jambojim97
Rep:
(Original post by MyMagicEyebrow)
In what ways do you consider yourself left-wing, and how do you define the regressive left?
(Original post by slade p)
What do you consider the regressive left
(Original post by ThePricklyOne)
What's a regressive left?
I define the Regressive Left as a group of certain leftwing political movements which seek to shut down and demonise any counter-narratives that disagree with it. The political strategy of the Regressive Left involves using bullying tactics and physical violence to achieve it's supposedly 'progressive' ideals and to protect groups which may or may not be marginalised but in doing so causing a counterproductive effect. Distinguishing features include cognitive dissonance towards Islam, third-wave Feminism, forcing the acceptance of 'non-binary' gender identities, language policing and political correctness.

I consider myself to be left wing because:
- I support the welfare state
- I support Keynsian economics
- I am passionate about social mobility
- I believe we need to do more to support the disabled
- I support full working rights and legality for sex workers
- I believe climate change is a serious problem and not enough is being done about it.
- I take a liberal view on drugs, supporting the legalisation of cannabis.
- I acknowledge that racism is a problem, BUT believe current anti-racist political movements are counterproductive and not conducive to desired outcomes.
- I believe in equality between the sexes, BUT see third wave feminism as a counterproductive movement to achieve this goal.
- I am for trans rights, BUT am highly skeptical about whether non-binary gender identities are valid.
- I am an atheist and see all religions as being open to criticism, BUT especially Islam.

Hope this makes sense. Remember, though, that labels like 'left-wing', 'right-wing', 'liberal' and 'conservative' differ between time and place and never fit neatly into discrete categories and dichotomies.
jambojim97
Rep:
(Original post by cadaanshaydaan)
Should I paint my nails orange or yellow?
Orange!
Wanderlust96
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Do semantics concern you? I ask because I am a feminist who fears what the word 'feminism' is beginning to mean to those who blanket the movement.
jambojim97
Rep:
(Original post by the bear)
does Diane give you a frisson ?

:holmes:
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
jambojim97
Rep:
(Original post by Wanderlust96)
Do semantics concern you? I ask because I am a feminist who fears what the word 'feminism' is beginning to mean to those who blanket the movement.
Somewhat, yes. I mean there are some things that really can't be neatly defined by single terms and put into boxes, and feminism is one such thing that takes many different forms. If you define feminism simply as giving women social, political and equal rights then I'd definitely call myself a feminist. But certain modern feminist movements seem to go beyond that, seeing all men as the enemy and focusing on trivial issues which have little importance whilst ignoring the bigger picture. Hope that answers your question
jambojim97
Rep:
Far leftist ideology is degenerative, far leftists are the most vile and despicable people in the world.
I believe the Horseshoe Theory is valid, thus the far-right are just as bad.
ThePricklyOne
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jambojim97)
I define the Regressive Left as a group of certain leftwing political movements which seek to shut down and demonise any counter-narratives that disagree with it. The political strategy of the Regressive Left involves using bullying tactics and physical violence to achieve it's supposedly 'progressive' ideals and to protect groups which may or may not be marginalised but in doing so causing a counterproductive effect. Distinguishing features include cognitive dissonance towards Islam, third-wave Feminism, forcing the acceptance of 'non-binary' gender identities, language policing and political correctness.
Cheers for that.

I've been accused of Islamophobia for disagreeing with someone with a muslim username who'd accused another poster of being immoral (in fundamentalist islam's POV), then accused of racism afterwards when the they couldn't make the Islamophobia stick. When i've shown the poster to be wrong, they went for a personal insults denigrating my username and me on a more personal level. I didn't have a name for this until your post so cheers.

I agree with moderate but not fundamentalist Islam. I agree with non-racism but I'm totally against minority groups who think its OK for them to be racist because they're non-white. If something is not OK, it does not become OK because they are a member of a marginalised group.
ThePricklyOne
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Far leftist ideology is degenerative, far leftists are the most vile and despicable people in the world.
The Far Right is the same, but I take it they're OK in your book?
MALZZY
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
One thing I hate is when Islam is clumped in with the whole stupid stuff that the left say. As a Muslim, I believe that Islam can be criticised as much as any other religion but the left crazies always defend it so badly with "NoT AlL mUsLiMs". I swear, it's as if they secretly really want people to begin to hate Islam. People get frustrated when they can't talk openly about a religion or anything, which leads them to have bottled-up resentment against Islam and Muslims. I mean that guy who ran over some Muslims at a mosque was supported by many people. TOO many. Just please take your time in researching Islam as a religion with an open-heart.
Damn I just realised this was an AMA... erm What's your favourite colour? joke
Did you support Hillary Clinton? (I know we are in Britain but I'm curious)
jambojim97
Rep:
(Original post by MALZZY)
One thing I hate is when Islam is clumped in with the whole stupid stuff that the left say. As a Muslim, I believe that Islam can be criticised as much as any other religion but the left crazies always defend it so badly with "NoT AlL mUsLiMs". I swear, it's as if they secretly really want people to begin to hate Islam. People get frustrated when they can't talk openly about a religion or anything, which leads them to have bottled-up resentment against Islam and Muslims. I mean that guy who ran over some Muslims at a mosque was supported by many people. TOO many. Just please take your time in researching Islam as a religion with an open-heart.
Damn I just realised this was an AMA... erm What's your favourite colour? joke
Did you support Hillary Clinton? (I know we are in Britain but I'm curious)
Yeah I certainly think a big problem with those who are against Islam is their refusal to acknowledge the rise in hate crimes against them and their refusal to condemn harassment towards the Muslim community, because ultimately that's just going to make the problem worse.

And I think the woman is absolutely terrible, but definitely preferable to Trump!
ThePricklyOne
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
No worries mate. You make a lot of valid points.
MALZZY
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ThePricklyOne)
No worries mate. You make a lot of valid points.
Was that supposed to be sarcastic? I didn't want to change this lovely man's thread into a "Is Islam peaceful or not" one but if you have any questions, shoot me up.
ThePricklyOne
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Was that supposed to be sarcastic? I didn't want to change this lovely man's thread into a "Is Islam peaceful or not" one but if you have any questions, shoot me up.
No sarcasm. Just agreeing with your post.
MALZZY
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jambojim97)
Yeah I certainly think a big problem with those who are against Islam is their refusal to acknowledge the rise in hate crimes against them and their refusal to condemn harassment towards the Muslim community, because ultimately that's just going to make the problem worse.

And I think the woman is absolutely terrible, but definitely preferable to Trump!
Agreed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (114)
41.01%
They're exactly what I expected (66)