Richard0328
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have been given no option other than a 4 year course at uni and as I understand it, at the end of year 3 I could have a degree and the 4th year is the honours degree. What difference does this make to me? What is my incentive to complete 4 years instead of 3?
as far as I am aware, this is standard practice in Scotland
Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Richard0328)
I have been given no option other than a 4 year course at uni and as I understand it, at the end of year 3 I could have a degree and the 4th year is the honours degree. What difference does this make to me? What is my incentive to complete 4 years instead of 3?
University of Glasgow graduate here from England. If you just complete the three years you will be given what is known as an "ordinary degree". This is one level below an honours degree in Scotland and one level below all 3 year degree courses in England. To gain the honours degree you must study the four years or have applied for entry into year 2 (if you satisfy their requirements).

Basically, I would not advise just completing three years as the ordinary degree is "less" of a qualification than the usual honours degree you get and would usually have to do another year of study on a conversion course just to gain the equivalence of honours anyway.
Jack22031994
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You pass with honours if you get a 2:2 or higher (form an English University at least). Doesn't matter if its 3 or 4 years.

Are you going to uni in England or Scotland?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi Richard - for all intents and purposes, an ordinary degree from 3-years' study is worthless. You need an honours degree for it to be recognised as an 'undergraduate degree'.
jessjanellbhons1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Richard, what do you mean by no choice? Why not just choose an English university where you get honours at the end of 3 years instead of a Scottish one?
Cubone-r
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jessjanellbhons1)
Richard, what do you mean by no choice? Why not just choose an English university where you get honours at the end of 3 years instead of a Scottish one?
He's from Scotland and so could get free tuition if he attended a Scottish university, lol.
jessjanellbhons1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cubone-r)
He's from Scotland and so could get free tuition if he attended a Scottish university, lol.
Thanks, I'm obviously not Scottish, lol. I tried watching Trainspotting but couldn't catch every word.
Cubone-r
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks, I'm obviously not Scottish, lol. I tried watching Trainspotting but couldn't catch every word.
Neither am I, but after living there for four years I can do a great impression of a Glaswegian accent. :P
jessjanellbhons1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well, to answer the OP's question, it seems the ordinary degree is not as useless as Reality Check suggests. You can even apply for masters with it: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...2263166&page=2
Cubone-r
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well, to answer the OP's question, it seems the ordinary degree is not as useless as Reality Check suggests. You can even apply for masters with it: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...2263166&page=2
Depends on the master's you are doing. For example, the master's degree I am doing it is required to have a 2.1 honours degree or above.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.72%
Excited but a bit nervous (122)
45.69%
Not bothered either way (35)
13.11%
I'm really nervous (52)
19.48%

Watched Threads