The Student Room Group

Friend keeps pointing out stretch marks and poking me

This has been going on for a while now. Whenever my friend sees my stretch marks, she always points them out and pokes them. She also has a habit of poking me in the stomach everyone I see her. I have never reacted in a way that would make her think I enjoyed it (I think it's quite obvious that I hate it) I usually tell her to stop or glare at her but she keeps doing it. Funny thing is, she complains to me about someone who does these same things to her, yet she does it to me. Is there a reason for her doing this? How do I get her to stop?
Original post by Anonymous
This has been going on for a while now. Whenever my friend sees my stretch marks, she always points them out and pokes them. She also has a habit of poking me in the stomach everyone I see her. I have never reacted in a way that would make her think I enjoyed it (I think it's quite obvious that I hate it) I usually tell her to stop or glare at her but she keeps doing it. Funny thing is, she complains to me about someone who does these same things to her, yet she does it to me. Is there a reason for her doing this? How do I get her to stop?

She's trying to point out your 'flaws' in order to make herself feel better about herself.

Stretch marks are largely genetic and aren't always related to weight gain- they're totally natural and you shouldn't give them a second thought.

Maybe point out how her nose is crooked and keep touching it or ditch her as a friend if she won't stop. She's mean.
Reply 2
Whenever she does it, point at her head, laugh, and shout 'OMG your head looks like a knob!'

Alternatively stop hanging around with them. They clearly aren't a friend.
Reply 3

Have a talk with her where you point out how much you dislike it and that it's jut like the thing she doesn't like that other people do. Tell her to F off whenever she does it. Walk away when she does it. Point out something "wrong" with her when she does it.
Do things that make it stupidly obvious that she is being mean.

If that doesn't work, tell her she's being a bad friend and stop talking to her. If she apologises and changes her ways then great if she doesn't she ain't no friend of yours.

She might be doing it because she feels awkward and doesn't understand the extent (I've been guilty of that before unfortunately). She might be unconsciously trying to make herself feel better in comparison. She might be trying to point out flaws to motivate you to improve (not cool). It might be because she's just mean.
Hopefully it's the first cos that means she doesn't mean to do it and will hopefully change once she realises it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending