The Student Room Group

Tablet or laptop - or neither

Hello. I will be attending university as of this September to study Maths. I was just wondering if it'd be worth investing in a tablet, or if a laptop would be more appropriate. Are there specific programmes that you need to be able to use for assignments or anything? Or would it be sufficient enough to use computers in the library? With regards to writing notes, I am quite old-fashioned and would stick to pen and paper.
Reply 1
Either a tablet + PC combo, or just a laptop.
A laptop is probably best if you're only going to get one of them. Usually maths departments have their own computer facilities in which case I would prioritise a light notebook you can carry around with you for accessing course notes and also to provide you with some entertainment.

If you're going to be taking a lot of statistics or other computationally heavy courses you will probably need something a bit more powerful but at that point a laptop becomes much less portable. I have a decent laptop but it's really a cheap version of a desktop for me and not something I ever carry around.

A tablet can be pretty handy for accessing notes and other information on the go. However, if you have a large decent smartphone it would probably work just as well for that.

Quick Reply

Latest