The Student Room Group

Driving test - less than a week. Any advice??

I'm actually suuuper nervous, though I know I can drive, and I've been told so by two different instructors. I do STILL make silly mistakes though, and I'm worried that these silly mistakes will lead to be failing. Any advice on the test day, etc?
Mainly to relax and not let nerves get the best of you.
Hi! I passed my test first time a week ago with 2 minors. I was pretty much like you - even the lesson before my test (which I would recommend doing) I was messing up on manoeuvres.

1. RELAX. It's easier said than done I know, but try not to imagine things going wrong, but instead going right. About 10 minutes into the test you will feel yourself relax and it'll start to just feel like another lesson.

2. Obvious, but really focus on your mirrors. Check your rear-view mirror every few seconds and make sure to check your wing mirrors when moving out, before indicating and when coming off of roundabouts. Every-time you are asked to stop on the side of the road, check mirrors before indicating to stop. During manoeuvres, make sure to do all round observations (mirrors, blind spots) every time you stop.

3. Know what happens during the test. The examiner should explain what happens during the test, but knowing beforehand is good. For example, you should know that you are asked to do 1 manoeuvre, do 10 minutes of independent driving and that they may make your do an emergency stop etc.

4. If you think you failed, do NOT let that affect the rest of the test. I thought I failed pretty much straight away (he asked me to turn left, I couldn't see it till the last second and swerved into it really quickly), but I didn't even get a minor for that. There were loads of points as well where I thought I'd failed or got a minor but didn't.

5. You can get minors! You do not have to be perfect. Just safe. Remember, it is better to hesitate and get a minor, than pull out when you can't and fail. One of my minors was for doing another reverse during the turn in the road but I wasn't sure I could turn enough without hitting the curb in front (which is usually instant failure).

6. Take your time, especially with the manoeuvres. There is no time limit on how long you can take to do them.

7. Remember you can do it! If your instructors think you are ready, then you are ready! The only thing stopping you is your worries.

Sorry for the essay :P

Best of luck, keep us updated how it goes!!
Hey, just keep on checking your mirrors even if you don't have to 😂 that's what I done and passed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hi!

I passed mine first time on Wednesday. On the day of the test, I had a driving lesson beforehand and it went aweful. Picked up two serious majors all down to silly mistakes and nerves. Honestly, in my test I thought I failed mid way but I PASSED. Don't be put off if you pick up minors. Apart from that, the actual test went ok you will find it is completely fine compared to some lessons. Its shorter and the examiner was making conversation with me during it.

Hope you get on ok. It will be completely fine!
Original post by nayahen
I'm actually suuuper nervous, though I know I can drive, and I've been told so by two different instructors. I do STILL make silly mistakes though, and I'm worried that these silly mistakes will lead to be failing. Any advice on the test day, etc?

I've failed three on a single silly mistake each time. Not what you wanted to hear? Sorry! Doesn't matter how amazing the rest of your test is, one silly mistake is all it takes to fail. One examiner actually said to me my general driving was very good and if not for the one mistake he would have happily passed me. Try to stay calm and confident, if your instructor is a lovely as mine he/she will give a little pep talk before hand and won't be mad if you do fail. In part just knowing he believes i can pass gives me confidence. Don't get disheartened if you do fail on one silly mistake, just rebook straight away, i'm not giving up and neither should you.

GOOD LUCK!!!
What are the 'silly mistakes'?

Exaggerate everything you do. Look in mirrors. Turn your head physically to look at the mirrors. Make sure when you look over your shoulder that the instructor can only see the back of your head. Over Exaggerate everything. Look in your mirrors enough times, but not enough that it makes you look nervous. They will expect you to be nervous though so don't worry. The whole time you are driving, focus on your mirrors.
The examiner should tell you what is going to happen and what you will be doing. If at any time you are unsure about anything, ask. If you get an instruction and you need help, ask. If you aren't sure what to do, ask. You're better to ask for repeated instructions than forgetting completely and going wrong. When doing manoeuvre, take your time. You get 3 attempts/corrections with the manoeuvre so take your time. As long as you're not dangerous or risking danger to others, you're fine. Take. Your. Time. There's no time limit.

My mind's gone blank of other advice but I will keep thinking. Good luck! You'll be absolutely fine!

Quick Reply

Latest