Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Is anyone doing accounting and finance? Watch

ReputationRep:
    or anything similar....
    What is it like? Did you need any work experience? What did pick for your alevels?
    Is it competitive?

I was thinking of doing accounting and finance but most of my alevels are science based - biology, maths, chemistry and french. I never did economics, accounting at gcse, so I dont really know what it's like. If you could guys could tell me what it's like, I would be grateful ^_^

Thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    I applied for accounting (and finance) this year. You don't need to do economics or accounting (arguably, it's better to not do accounting). I think maths a level is preferred, but apart from that it doesn't matter.
    Also, you can train to be an accountant as long as you get a 2:1 in your chosen degree. But we're talking about Accounting and Finance degrees.

I haven't got the impression they're very competitive. Obviously it's harder to get into the top universities, but there's places in Extra and usually in Clearing too. I didn't have any work experience and the people who I know who also applied for it, didn't either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LunaCat)
    or anything similar....
    What is it like? Did you need any work experience? What did pick for your alevels?
    Is it competitive?

I was thinking of doing accounting and finance but most of my alevels are science based - biology, maths, chemistry and french. I never did economics, accounting at gcse, so I dont really know what it's like. If you could guys could tell me what it's like, I would be grateful ^_^

Thankyou!

Just finished my first year doing A&F, I really enjoyed it. I did biology, maths, chemistry and physics a level so I completely understand what you're thinking. First year doesn't assume previous knowledge so you can have a look at a level economics and accounting textbooks, a lot of content is similar to that. if you like learning concepts and are logical then it's a good course. there are also elements of writing, especially for economics so be wary of that, i had to write 3 essays for assignments and end of year exams for law, economics and management accounting involve writing as well.

Poll
What is your favourite film genre?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.