Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Can i still get 3 years loan? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i completed one year at uni with student finance funding me, however i withdrew before the start of the second year, i had already applied for that year and recieved my first maintanance loan, i paid that back immediately and recieved no tuition fee for that year, meaning iv only recieved one years worth of tuition fee loan.
    Now that im returning to Uni for a three year course i applied for student finance again, thinking id be entitled to three more years, since from my understanding its basically four minus years already studied, since i had studied one year and recieved no further tuition fee after that, i assumed this would then equal three remaining.
    I recently recieved my entitlement letter and it says i will recieve no tuition fee loan for the first year (but im still entitled to maintanance loan) because it says iv studied 2 previous years, which as i said i withdrew before the start date of the course (second year) and no tuition fee was paid to me or the uni i attended (after the first year).
    Am i right to think i should still be entitled to three years of tuition fee student finance? If so is there a way i can write a letter or something to get it sorted. Thanks.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clueless141)
    Hi, i completed one year at uni with student finance funding me, however i withdrew before the start of the second year, i had already applied for that year and recieved my first maintanance loan, i paid that back immediately and recieved no tuition fee for that year, meaning iv only recieved one years worth of tuition fee loan.
    Now that im returning to Uni for a three year course i applied for student finance again, thinking id be entitled to three more years, since from my understanding its basically four minus years already studied, since i had studied one year and recieved no further tuition fee after that, i assumed this would then equal three remaining.
    I recently recieved my entitlement letter and it says i will recieve no tuition fee loan for the first year (but im still entitled to maintanance loan) because it says iv studied 2 previous years, which as i said i withdrew before the start date of the course (second year) and no tuition fee was paid to me or the uni i attended (after the first year).
    Am i right to think i should still be entitled to three years of tuition fee student finance? If so is there a way i can write a letter or something to get it sorted. Thanks.
    It sounds like your old university ****ed up and notified SLC that you were in attendance (if they hadn't then you wouldn't have received a maintenance loan instalment).

Try contacting them to get them to confirm to SFE that you only attended the first year.

At the same time speak to your new university about what's happening. They may be able to help deal with SFE and/or be willing to reduce or delay your tuition fee for first year while you try to sort things out.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clueless141)
    Hi Clueless141,

It does indeed sound like the University confirmed your registration and this allowed a maintenance loan instalment to go out which is impacting your current funding calculation.

If you can speak to your old institution and have them confirm to us they did this in error then & you never attended this should fix the calculation used giving you the correct funding.

Warm regards.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.