Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there something wrong with wanting to be a housewife? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have good grades and will be starting university this year but for a while now I've been really thinking about my future and keep coming back to this idea of being a housewife. I don't know why it appeals to me so much, I just really like the idea of taking care of someone and in turn receiving love, protection and stability. But for some reason, I feel like I can't explicitly state that to a future partner or to my family because I have come really far with education and don't want to disappoint anyone. We live in a feminist society and I think other girls will look down on me for choosing such a traditional route. I also have younger siblings and don't want to set a bad example for anyone. Is there something wrong with this? Do guys dislike a woman who wants something like this? Any thoughts?
    My thoughts? Do you plan on raising kids? If you don't, you're a bum and moocher. Part of being a 'traditional' housewife is taking care of kids. If all you're doing is watching day-time TV, the relationship is seriously unbalanced.

You need to work hard (raising your kids), and so does you husband (at his job).

Here's a video on the issue:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kupAPjaN0Pc

(Original post by tapir)
    My thoughts? Do you plan on raising kids? If you don't, you're a bum and moocher. Part of being a 'traditional' housewife is taking care of kids. If all you're doing is watching day-time TV, the relationship is seriously unbalanced.

You need to work hard (raising your kids), and so does you husband (at his job).

Here's a video on the issue:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kupAPjaN0Pc
    First of all that video was sketchy as hell, and i meant the part in the bold. I'm aware it's not easy but when the time is right and I'm settled etc. I'd like to raise my kids with their mum around all the time - that's important for me because it's something I never had. And I wouldn't just be lying around, I'm pretty active imo and I'd work part - time if we were going through rough times to smoothen things out - I don't plan on being a monster lol

ReputationRep:
    First of all that video was sketchy as hell, and i meant the part in the bold. I'm aware it's not easy but when the time is right and I'm settled etc. I'd like to raise my kids with their mum around all the time - that's important for me because it's something I never had. And I wouldn't just be lying around, I'm pretty active imo and I'd work part - time if we were going through rough times to smoothen things out - I don't plan on being a monster lol
    Okay, but you didn't say that earlier.

(Original post by tapir)
    Okay, but you didn't say that earlier.
    obviously if we bout to get evicted i need to gather my **** and do something

ReputationRep:
    No, not at all! I'm not sure why people would say otherwise.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. my mum is a housewife raising 6 kids. it's a real struggle believe me but it's your choice at the end of the day xxx

(Original post by _gcx)
    No, not at all! I'm not sure why people would say otherwise.
    idk just felt like it was looked down on

there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. my mum is a housewife raising 6 kids. it's a real struggle believe me but it's your choice at the end of the day xxx
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    No there is nothing wrong with wanting to be a housewife

I spent 20 years being a housewife raising kids
    It was incredibly rewarding
    We are a traditional household with old fashioned values
    I.e. Husband earns wage
    Don't kid yourself it's easy if you do it properly
    You never get a day off and you shouldn't expect help around the house. It is your job after all!
    I was responsible for every single household job, decorating, diy or arranging it, sorting finances and paying bills, making sure there was a hot meal waiting on his return from work. And everything in between! The only thing we shared was kids bedtime. Bath and stories
    The upside is my sons and I are incredibly close but they didn't get to spend anywhere near the amount of time with dad because he spent so many hours working
    It worked for us and was very very 1950s!

I don't mind the cooking and cleaning side since I enjoy that but I would like the man to be responsible for paying bills etc. I do understand it would be difficult but I just feel like a traditional home is something I aspire to have
    I spent 20 years being a housewife raising kids
    It was incredibly rewarding
    We are a traditional household with old fashioned values
    I.e. Husband earns wage
    Don't kid yourself it's easy if you do it properly
    You never get a day off and you shouldn't expect help around the house. It is your job after all!
    I was responsible for every single household job, decorating, diy or arranging it, sorting finances and paying bills, making sure there was a hot meal waiting on his return from work. And everything in between! The only thing we shared was kids bedtime. Bath and stories
    The upside is my sons and I are incredibly close but they didn't get to spend anywhere near the amount of time with dad because he spent so many hours working
    It worked for us and was very very 1950s!

ReputationRep:
    This may seem uncalled for and I don't want to be negative, but it did kind of stick out to me and I guess I can be cynical but... you sound quite passive in that you seem to need approval for something that obviously really matters to you and are doubting the importance of your own feelings (but I could be wrong, I don't know you) and the problem with that is people can walk over you and there are certain abusive men out there who are looking for a passive woman to control and dominate (and I mean emotionally, whatever you do in the bedroom is your business). So just be careful about that. And I agree with everyone else that the right person for you will totally support what matters to you in life, and if you want to be a homemaker, wife and mother then he should be totally fine with that.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with this.

(Original post by applesforme)
    This may seem uncalled for and I don't want to be negative, but it did kind of stick out to me and I guess I can be cynical but... you sound quite passive in that you seem to need approval for something that obviously really matters to you and are doubting the importance of your own feelings (but I could be wrong, I don't know you) and the problem with that is people can walk over you and there are certain abusive men out there who are looking for a passive woman to control and dominate (and I mean emotionally, whatever you do in the bedroom is your business). So just be careful about that. And I agree with everyone else that the right person for you will totally support what matters to you in life, and if you want to be a homemaker, wife and mother then he should be totally fine with that.
    I agree with you that op should be careful of being used
    That is not me however!! There is nothing passive about me!
    If you were to ask my husband he would tell you that it's him who's henpecked!

(Original post by applesforme)
    I understand your concern, it's something I have considered ie what if I change my mind and my partner stops me from working or begins to take too much control over me just because I made a choice that I felt was right for me. There are a lot of guys out there who are abusive and manipulative etc. and if he is the financial leader it would be more difficult for me to get out. It's really just my luck and hopefully I begin to notice abusive/manipulative behaviour I can get out before I'm too invested. But I do worry about that, which is one reason why I wouldn't go for it but everything else about it really appeals to me so I hope, with the right person, I can make it work.

I agree with you that op should be careful of being used
    That is not me however!! There is nothing passive about me!
    If you were to ask my husband he would tell you that it's him who's henpecked!
    hahaha, you go girl

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with it. Some women find it to be very rewarding and it is like a full time job.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's ok, although it would be financially easier if both partners were earning an income but then again if your husband has a good job then i don't see why not!

(Original post by d.ecay)
    I think it's ok, although it would be financially easier if both partners were earning an income but then again if your husband has a good job then i don't see why not!
    Yeah I agree it would be more of a burden if things were difficult financially but if my partner needed help I would be willing to work because I wouldn't want them to feel stressed or burdened in anyway. It's more important to me that my partner is comfortable, if things were getting tricky id be willing to compromise what I want.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.