Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Reconsidering what A levels to pick in order to do Medicine Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. I've just completed my GCSE's and I'm now going into A levels. I have decided to pick Biology. Chemistry, French and History for my a levels. However, I have been looking at the A level requirements for universities a lot of them require maths and/or physics (as well as bio and chem) such as Bristol and Cambridge. I live in London and I wish to keep my options as open as possible, but I don't see myself getting an A/A* in maths and i'm not to sure about physics which is why I didn't choose it. I am willing to put the work in though.

What should I do? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Maths would be more facilitating than Physics and a better option for Medicine. It is honestly quite easy to get an A/A* in A level maths, as long as you put in the work and do lots of papers. I thought I'd be failing C1/C2 around January time, but past papers turned that feeling around

ReputationRep:
    All the info/advice about applying for Medicine here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine - including Med School entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luckystars)
    Maths would be more facilitating than Physics and a better option for Medicine. It is honestly quite easy to get an A/A* in A level maths, as long as you put in the work and do lots of papers. I thought I'd be failing C1/C2 around January time, but past papers turned that feeling around
    I don't know man. I struggled with maths this year thats why I'm not sure. And I heard that you can't really do physics without maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amaraub)
    Hey guys. I've just completed my GCSE's and I'm now going into A levels. I have decided to pick Biology. Chemistry, French and History for my a levels. However, I have been looking at the A level requirements for universities a lot of them require maths and/or physics (as well as bio and chem) such as Bristol and Cambridge. I live in London and I wish to keep my options as open as possible, but I don't see myself getting an A/A* in maths and i'm not to sure about physics which is why I didn't choose it. I am willing to put the work in though.

What should I do? Thanks
    Do Maths. For medicine, some want atleast 3 sciences.

Furthermore, at some universities, they ask you to do maths at your interview (happened to me) and some people who hadn't done maths struggled just because the amount of time that had elapsed since they did maths.

It will also help as you need to do maths in the UKCAT and if you do it, there is maths on the BMAT.

All in all, 100% recommend maths. No exception

ReputationRep:
    I don't know man. I struggled with maths this year thats why I'm not sure. And I heard that you can't really do physics without maths.
    My friend is taking maths chemistry and biology at A level and she's aiming to do medicine as well
    Don't worry, maths at A level isn't too hard since it builds up gradually but you should be fine. I thought I'd failed maths at GCSE personally, i.e not got A*, but ended up with an A anyways. I'm doing maths at A level now and it's actually good

ReputationRep:
    You can definitely do physics without maths. I couldn't stand maths, so did physics at a-level instead. I've not come across anything in medicine that I don't understand because I haven't done maths.

If only a couple of unis want maths or physics and you're not bothered about applying to them, don't worry about doing it. You want to do A-levels that you are most likely to reach the grades in!

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.