Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I was wondering if there were any other GEM applicants/current students who would mind telling me what their situation is?

I only decided a few months ago that I definitely wanted to pursue medicine and whilst I have plenty of work experience working with people etc. I don't have any direct healthcare experience and would have to apply without it as although I'm organising it, I doubt I'll have done much by the 15 October deadline. This is mainly because it'll have to be in my university town and I don't go back until the end of September. Also, whilst my pre-university academic profile is excellent and I got good grades in first year, mental health problems (major nervous breakdown, self-harming etc.) meant I bombed my second year and my grades in 3rd year whilst recovering, aren't perfect. I'm currently on a low 2:1 going into my MSCi year and whilst I'm sure that I would be predicted a 2:1 (I'm aiming for a first this year), I'm worried that if they ask to see my transcript I would automatically get thrown into the trash. Consequently, I feel like applying with my final degree classification may be a better option in this respect. Additionally, I'm planning to sit the GAMSAT in March so that next September (if I apply next year) I can concentrate on the UKCAT. My window to sit the UKCAT this year is narrowing and I wouldn't be able to prepare for the UKCAT in time so if I applied this year it would have to be all UKCAT (not intending to go down the BMAT route).

Has anyone else been in a similar situation as me/can you advise me on what to do? I don't particularly want to take a gap year but I also realise that I would probably have a much higher chance of getting anywhere if I applied next year.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    GEM is one of the most competitive/demanding courses you could think about. You need to be in the best possible place to apply for it with any chance of success. Take a year out and get as much 'real life' experience as you can - you will not be a credible applicant without relevant experience, and it sounds like you also need some time-out to get your head in a good place.

The Medicine wiki has lots of info/advice about getting work experience - its aimed at school-leavers but you can grasp the basics from this - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

Having a 2i is all that is needed - they wont dig into your year grades.

PS. Think carefully about the ££ aspect of GEM - you will not get complete funding for a 2nd undergrad degree so unless you have access to 'other money' its a non-starter for most people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    GEM is one of the most competitive/demanding courses you could think about. You need to be in the best possible place to apply for it with any chance of success. Take a year out and get as much 'real life' experience as you can - you will not be a credible applicant without relevant experience, and it sounds like you also need some time-out to get your head in a good place.

The Medicine wiki has lots of info/advice about getting work experience - its aimed at school-leavers but you can grasp the basics from this - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

PS. Think carefully about the ££ aspect of GEM - you will not get complete funding for a 2nd undergrad degree so unless you have access to 'other money' its a non-starter for most people.
    Not true. GEM is just as competitive as undergrad medicine + your last point being 'you will not get complete funding for a 2nd undergrad degree.'??? GEM isn't an undergrad degree, it's postgrad and funding is available

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sacred Ground)
    Not true. GEM is just as competitive as undergrad medicine + your last point being 'you will not get complete funding for a 2nd undergrad degree.'??? GEM isn't an undergrad degree, it's postgrad and funding is available
    GEM actually is an undergraduate course, just for graduates only. The terminology can get confusing.

In terms of funding, SF will only fund 4 year GEM courses but NOT 5 year ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)

My head is in a much better place now because I've got help plus have a new mindset towards things, but I understand your point. However, one of the main reasons for risking applying this year is I'm not that keen on having a break in between degrees.

Haha I know that link off by heart but thank you anyway. I was just wondering how it would look if I applied with the intention of getting work experience, I would definitely have relevant experience by the time I would (hopefully) be having interviews.

And money isn't a problem, I know that I'll have to pay ~£3500 in my first year but the rest will be funded.

I heard this also - GEM is just as hard to to get into as undergrad, there are just fewer places + entrance exam differences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkyKnight)
    GEM actually is an undergraduate course, just for graduates only. The terminology can get confusing.

In terms of funding, SF will only fund 4 year GEM courses but NOT 5 year ones.
    But aren't GEM courses 4 years long? Only imperial has a 5 year GEM course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gradmed305)
    My head is in a much better place now because I've got help plus have a new mindset towards things, but I understand your point. However, one of the main reasons for risking applying this year is I'm not that keen on having a break in between degrees.

Haha I know that link off by heart but thank you anyway. I was just wondering how it would look if I applied with the intention of getting work experience, I would definitely have relevant experience by the time I would (hopefully) be having interviews.

And money isn't a problem, I know that I'll have to pay ~£3500 in my first year but the rest will be funded.

I heard this also - GEM is just as hard to to get into as undergrad, there are just fewer places + entrance exam differences.
    I envisage more universities implementing GEM courses. St. Andrews for example is introducing a GEM programme in 2018 intake

ReputationRep:
    GEM isn't an undergrad degree, it's postgrad and funding is available
    GEM is an undergrad program despite the fact that you need a degree to be eligible. It is an accelerated undergrad program leading to the same qualification as a conventional 5 year course - it is therefore not a postgrad degree.

Info on funding : https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/student...mstudents.aspx
    and
    http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/a...es/medics2016/

You will not get full SFE funding - you will therefore need access to 'other money'.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the situation with the 5 year GEM for Imperial? Do we get funding support for it?

ReputationRep:
    Ah thanks for this. I'm sure OP could seek financial support despite having to self fund 3,500 for the first year if OP couldn't afford it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Optimist)
    Does anyone know the situation with the 5 year GEM for Imperial? Do we get funding support for it?
    You don't. I don't know what the situation was like when it was a 4 year course but I don't think it was covered then either - someone correct me if I'm wrong but I doubt it matters. I think things are still up in the air with GEM and funding in general though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused, I'm not even sure why I'm researching this when I'm an undergrad med student tbh haha. Anyway, I've just read that you get funded for accelerated med programmes? Isn't GEM an accelerated med programme if it's 4 years long? Why wouldn't OP be funded then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gradmed305)
    You don't. I don't know what the situation was like when it was a 4 year course but I don't think it was covered then either - someone correct me if I'm wrong but I doubt it matters. I think things are still up in the air with GEM and funding in general though.
    Quite ridiculous. I don't understand how they expect most people to pay for it. Not all of us have generous relatives willing to dish out cheques for us. When I am a pharmacist, even I'll be struggling to save up. 9000 per annum tuition fees plus another 9000 for living and accommodation per year is simply too much.

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused, I'm not even sure why I'm researching this when I'm an undergrad med student tbh haha. Anyway, I've just read that you get funded for accelerated med programmes? Isn't GEM an accelerated med programme if it's 4 years long? Why wouldn't OP be funded then?
    They will be funded for the 4 year course. They'll have to pay 3,500 themselves for the first year and rest is covered. But the majority of the living costs will be coming out of our own pockets.

ReputationRep:
    They will be funded for the 4 year course. They'll have to pay 3,500 themselves for the first year and rest is covered. But the majority of the living costs will be coming out of our own pockets.
    Ahh make sense, cheers. That's an absolute joke in my opinion. How are non well off people supposed to manage?

ReputationRep:
    Ahh make sense, cheers. That's an absolute joke in my opinion. How are non well off people supposed to manage?
    It's ridiculous. Obviously I know they should not be expected to fund people for 3, 4 ,5 degrees etc. But second degrees are not that rare and they should be offering a lot more support. Especially when it comes to healthcare. For example, I would not mind doing the normal a100 course but there is little chance of me being able to afford it. I'll probably have to own my own pharmacy related business just to afford it.

ReputationRep:
    It's ridiculous. Obviously I know they should not be expected to fund people for 3, 4 ,5 degrees etc. But second degrees are not that rare and they should be offering a lot more support. For example, I would not mind doing the normal a100 course but there is little chance of me being able to afford it. I'll probably have to own my own pharmacy related business just to afford it.
    For sure they shouldn't fund degrees willy nilly but medicine is a different story altogether. It's an investment for the government; we're all pursuing a degree that'll result in doctors for the future... and by god are we needed now more than ever. Ugh, I'm just glad I'm not in your shoes. Best of luck though!

ReputationRep:
    For sure they shouldn't fund degrees willy nilly but medicine is a different story altogether. It's an investment for the government; we're all pursuing a degree that'll result in doctors for the future... and by god are we needed now more than ever. Ugh, I'm just glad I'm not in your shoes. Best of luck though!
    Thanks . Are you on the A100 course?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks . Are you on the A100 course?
    Yessir. I'm already buzzing for clinical rotations and I've got another year to go haha.

ReputationRep:
    Yessir. I'm already buzzing for clinical rotations and I've got another year to go haha.
    That's great! I wish you all the best!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.