Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting a Law Society at my school in September for years 7-13. Any recommendations for what we could do? Meet weekly for around an hour at lunchtimes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oli19919)
    I'm starting a Law Society at my school in September for years 7-13. Any recommendations for what we could do? Meet weekly for around an hour at lunchtimes
    My college's law society only existed until December because they did the national bar mock trials. It could be interesting for you guys as well. You don't have to enter the competition but still hold a mock trial by creating a case, assigning people to the P or D, having people play witnesses, a jury, judge, etc. It can be a great way to learn the law in a practical way and see how cases are run.

If not, there are things online that could be used to test whether people agree with the law and how they would decide if they were on a jury. I

Another thing could be having a different focus each week on the law. So one week could be spent learning about the law on murder, theft, assault/battery, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greghayes)
    My college's law society only existed until December because they did the national bar mock trials. It could be interesting for you guys as well. You don't have to enter the competition but still hold a mock trial by creating a case, assigning people to the P or D, having people play witnesses, a jury, judge, etc. It can be a great way to learn the law in a practical way and see how cases are run.

If not, there are things online that could be used to test whether people agree with the law and how they would decide if they were on a jury. I

Another thing could be having a different focus each week on the law. So one week could be spent learning about the law on murder, theft, assault/battery, etc.
    Thank you very much!! Do you know how much time/effort was involved in the running of the society, as I'm going to have to run it whilst also submitting uni applications, doing coursework for two subjects, prepping for the LNAT and then hopefully prepping for an Oxford interview (fingers crossed)....

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much!! Do you know how much time/effort was involved in the running of the society, as I'm going to have to run it whilst also submitting uni applications, doing coursework for two subjects, prepping for the LNAT and then hopefully prepping for an Oxford interview (fingers crossed)....
    Honestly, the teachers did the bare minimum on the mock trial. They assigned you a role and set you off and then were just there for guidance. We'd have about 2 months to prepare the case and then we'd hold the mock trial itself. It was all down to the students.

Good luck with the interview!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greghayes)
    Honestly, the teachers did the bare minimum on the mock trial. They assigned you a role and set you off and then were just there for guidance. We'd have about 2 months to prepare the case and then we'd hold the mock trial itself. It was all down to the students.

Good luck with the interview!!
    Oh right, the Society starting will be run by my friend and I with very little (if any) help from teachers. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Where are you located in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLawLlama)
    Where are you located in the UK?
    Manchester

ReputationRep:
    Manchester
    Ah, I was going to see if I could help you guys out if you were located a little closer to me! Let me know if you need anything though!

Llama

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLawLlama)
    Ah, I was going to see if I could help you guys out if you were located a little closer to me! Let me know if you need anything though!

Llama
    Thank you!

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.