Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Is the Dark web real? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobby147)
    Why is it so slow on mobile though ?
    It just irritated me,so I removed it.
    It's slow because of the way tor works in order to keep you anonymous.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patryk_)
    There's more to the deep web, then CP or red rooms (which aren't an actual thing).
    Again, they didn't say Deep Web, They said Dark Web

First of all, they are a thing, just not the way that they are displayed on YouTube or other websites as TOR can only handle a small amount of bandwidth, hence why streaming or sharing videos is near impossible on the Dark Net. Instead they share their videos through private applications. Access to the real versions of these websites is only grated through private invites, so the ones we see are all fake/scams for bitcoins or honeypots.

Second of all visiting of the Drug Deal website, Black Markets and etc etc is not illegal and they are not taken seriously as long as you are not buying anything.

Third: You are passing through three Node(Guard, Relay, Exit) which is why TOR is almost impossible to track unless someone owns both the Guard Node and the Exit Node(the ones you are passing through). Which is why you are 'safe' majority of the time on the deep web, unless you visit a honey pot or purchase something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    No: that's the deep web.
    Dark web is merely part of the deep web.....

NB: Also holy crap you're still on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steljoy)
    Again, they didn't say Deep Web, They said Dark Web

First of all, they are a thing, just not the way that they are displayed on YouTube or other websites as TOR can only handle a small amount of bandwidth, hence why streaming or sharing videos is near impossible on the Dark Net. Instead they share their videos through private applications. Access to the real versions of these websites is only grated through private invites, so the ones we see are all fake/scams for bitcoins or honeypots.

Second of all visiting of the Drug Deal website, Black Markets and etc etc is not illegal and they are not taken seriously as long as you are not buying anything.

Third: You are passing through three Node(Guard, Relay, Exit) which is why TOR is almost impossible to track unless someone owns both the Guard Node and the Exit Node(the ones you are passing through). Which is why you are 'safe' majority of the time on the deep web, unless you visit a honey pot or purchase something.
    1. Exclusive online murder clubs make great internet stories, but I have never heard of an legitimate one. It's a bit like dark web hitmen, which are a popular legend, which is mostly false.

2. Buying things from the dark web is quite safe, and depending what you're buying not taken very seriously either. For example when the FBI had the silk road servers they could have arrested everyone who bought a gram of weed on their, but only went after a couple larger dealers.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    1. Exclusive online murder clubs make great internet stories, but I have never heard of an legitimate one. It's a bit like dark web hitmen, which are a popular legend, which is mostly false.

2. Buying things from the dark web is quite safe, and depending what you're buying not taken very seriously either. For example when the FBI had the silk road servers they could have arrested everyone who bought a gram of weed on their, but only went after a couple larger dealers.
    1.you have never heard of a real one because they are all private.

2. That's a very true point and I totally agree with you there!

PS: I think you are quite knowledgeable about this and I like it!

ReputationRep:
    1.you have never heard of a real one because they are all private.

2. That's a very true point and I totally agree with you there!

PS: I think you are quite knowledgeable about this and I like it!
    I'm slightly skeptical of stories like that, especially since I don't believe members of secret murder clubs would tell other people about them. They may exist, but probably not to the scale people think they do.

PS. Thank you. This conversation is a bit more knowledgeable than most regarding the dark web, which are usually full of people who've read one guardian article and think they know everything and people who believe as soon as you download TOR, the FBI busts down your door.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'm slightly skeptical of stories like that, especially since I don't believe members of secret murder clubs would tell other people about them. They may exist, but probably not to the scale people think they do.

PS. Thank you. This conversation is a bit more knowledgeable than most regarding the dark web, which are usually full of people who've read one guardian article and think they know everything and people who believe as soon as you download TOR, the FBI busts down your door.
    You are absolutely right about the scale of it! They hardly exist and members are all privately invited through physical meetings. All of the ones we see on YouTube or articles are fake, because people love these so called 'spooky' stories. Realistically, there is nothing there on deep/dark web to see and it is as boring as it gets.

I used to have tail os running last year to learn more about these stuff since cyber security is my main study area, but as I said, its not what others make it up to be. (Currently I am running Ubuntu GNOME)

Ikr! You may have misunderstood me on your first reply but I have spent quite sometime studying these topics

ReputationRep:
    You are absolutely right about the scale of it! They hardly exist and members are all privately invited through physical meetings. All of the ones we see on YouTube or articles are fake, because people love these so called 'spooky' stories. Realistically, there is nothing there on deep/dark web to see and it is as boring as it gets.

I used to have tail os running last year to learn more about these stuff since cyber security is my main study area, but as I said, its not what others make it up to be. (Currently I am running Ubuntu GNOME)

Ikr! You may have misunderstood me on your first reply but I have spent quite sometime studying these topics
    Using tails as you're os for a year must have been inconvenient.

I must have misunderstood your first message, since it seemed like you thought as soon as you boot TOR, you're going to prison, and it's only accessed by master russian hackers. Which generally annoys me, since everyone should be using TOR tbh, rather than spreading misconceptions about it.

ReputationRep:
    Very real. Mostly used by paedophiles and drug dealers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samrichardsonn)
    Very real. Mostly used by paedophiles and drug dealers.
    What about paedophilic drug dealers?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tapir)
    Just use someone else's computer. That's what I did. (the public library's)
    Yes because you totally won't get arrested for looking at illegal content in public.
    I thought I lacked common sense...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WWEaboo)
    Yes because you totally won't get arrested for looking at illegal content in public.
    I thought I lacked common sense...
    I also got ridiculously high in that same library. Couldn't walk, talk or see properly. I hallucinated a lot and can't remember much. I could've easily been killed by oncoming traffic or arrested (my eyes were completely black with huge pupils). Lucky I guess...

I'm taking less and less risks now, but when I was still a teen it seemed like a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    There's more to the deep web, then CP or red rooms (which aren't an actual thing).
    Of course CP exists. It's just super hard to access for obvious reasons unless it's a honeypot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tapir)
    I also got ridiculously high in that same library. Couldn't walk, talk or see properly. I hallucinated a lot and can't remember much. I could've easily been killed by oncoming traffic or arrested (my eyes were completely black with huge pupils). Lucky I guess...

I'm taking less and less risks now, but when I was still a teen it seemed like a good idea.
    you sound like a very very smart person...
    Weren't you also saying dumb **** about autism/aspergers?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is 100% real, yet most of the things on there are fake/scams. It's rather easy to access, but I am far from recommending it. I used to mess about on the dark web almost everyday for a while to see what creepy things I could find. By the end of the week, my mum received a letter from my internet provider giving a warning which stated if I kept going to the dark web, the police would be obliged to knock on our doors. Evidently I was extremely paranoid and terrified to ever go onto the dark web again, so I never did. It's serious stuff, and you can get in a lot of trouble just by browsing it. Perhaps watch others on YouTube going on the dark web, and avoid it yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WWEaboo)
    you sound like a very very smart person...
    Weren't you also saying dumb **** about autism/aspergers?
    I am a smart person. But I did make stupid decisions. Loads of smart people lead dangerous lives, especially in their youth.

I was smart enough to learn from my mistakes. I don't take drugs anymore. I don't go on the dark web anymore either. There's nothing that interested me about it, but it was pretty to cool to look at it just for the novelty. I didn't believe it at first, and I had to see it to believe it.

ReputationRep:
    I heard this a while back on some youtube video. Same for you or?
    Yeah, I did. I did some research to quell my curiosity, and found it out that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    I heard the guy in that first video was forced to eat soup of his wife and daughter's human remains. Is that true?
    I personally wouldn't believe rumors like that, as they are mostly make up by people who have no association with the video and know little context. it could have something to do with a red room, or could just be a YT stunt, i personally don't know but i'm pretty sure someone would be investigating it if this was indeed true.

(Original post by CuriousSherlock)
    Curiosity indeed kills the cat. Thank you! You're great! Your post is informative and since I'm inexperienced with even proxy servers, probably best to start on videos and meeting up with people, so I can actually learn more.

pessim Think someone said it's called the Mariana's Web, apparently 'worse' than the dark web. A little research- some say it's a myth, others say a 'frightening reality'. Interesting to research nonetheless.
    Thank you very much! I appreciate the positive comments, and yes indeed it is called Mariana's Web, I'll do some digging on that now, it'll keep me preoccupied during the summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zereux)
    Yes, it is 100% real, yet most of the things on there are fake/scams. It's rather easy to access, but I am far from recommending it. I used to mess about on the dark web almost everyday for a while to see what creepy things I could find. By the end of the week, my mum received a letter from my internet provider giving a warning which stated if I kept going to the dark web, the police would be obliged to knock on our doors. Evidently I was extremely paranoid and terrified to ever go onto the dark web again, so I never did. It's serious stuff, and you can get in a lot of trouble just by browsing it. Perhaps watch others on YouTube going on the dark web, and avoid it yourself.
    100% believable story

ReputationRep:
    100% believable story
    Not sure if that is sarcasm or not, but it is in fact a true story. I believe they managed to track me down because I downloaded something off a website by accident. Can't be certain though.

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.