Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    So I've just had my annual 'academic review day' and in a nutshell, my school has told me that I cannot retake my year 12 end of year History mock exam because it 'goes again the schools policy' (please bear in mind that my schools history department is a complete **** show + one of my teachers left 3 weeks before the exam and my other one found that in mid September she had cancer and was off for a few months. Neither of the two teachers were replaced and we simply had no lessons for the time leading up to the mock). What I wanted to get for my uni prediction grades was Distinction(A),A,B however instead of a B in history I've been predicted a C, since I got a D in the exam..... Now I will admit that history is the weakest subject of the three BUT surely my school should take into account the circumstance's that we've all faced from the absence of our teachers, in addition to the fact that a group of us who have extra time started our exam 45 minutes later because we had no invigilators for our room. Now I'm worried that won't be able to apply for any good university's because of me being predicted a C in such a respected subject. What should I do ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moni02)
    So I've just had my annual 'academic review day' and in a nutshell, my school has told me that I cannot retake my year 12 end of year History mock exam because it 'goes again the schools policy' (please bear in mind that my schools history department is a complete **** show + one of my teachers left 3 weeks before the exam and my other one found that in mid September she had cancer and was off for a few months. Neither of the two teachers were replaced and we simply had no lessons for the time leading up to the mock). What I wanted to get for my uni prediction grades was Distinction(A),A,B however instead of a B in history I've been predicted a C, since I got a D in the exam..... Now I will admit that history is the weakest subject of the three BUT surely my school should take into account the circumstance's that we've all faced from the absence of our teachers, in addition to the fact that a group of us who have extra time started our exam 45 minutes later because we had no invigilators for our room. Now I'm worried that won't be able to apply for any good university's because of me being predicted a C in such a respected subject. What should I do ?
    You will be fine. I got an E in AS law and a D in AS philosophy.. hasn't stopped me from going to university.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    So I've just had my annual 'academic review day' and in a nutshell, my school has told me that I cannot retake my year 12 end of year History mock exam because it 'goes again the schools policy' (please bear in mind that my schools history department is a complete **** show + one of my teachers left 3 weeks before the exam and my other one found that in mid September she had cancer and was off for a few months. Neither of the two teachers were replaced and we simply had no lessons for the time leading up to the mock). What I wanted to get for my uni prediction grades was Distinction(A),A,B however instead of a B in history I've been predicted a C, since I got a D in the exam..... Now I will admit that history is the weakest subject of the three BUT surely my school should take into account the circumstance's that we've all faced from the absence of our teachers, in addition to the fact that a group of us who have extra time started out exam 45 minutes later because we had no invigilators for our room. Now I'm worried that won't be able to apply for any good university's because of me being predicted a C in such a respected subject. What should I do ?
    you should still have plenty of options with those predictions assuming you don't want to do history. perhaps the school expected you all to teach yourselves and unfortunately unless you want to attempt a transfer or filing a proper complaint i cant see there being much you can do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubone-r)
    You will be fine. I got an E in AS law and a D in AS philosophy.. hasn't stopped me from going to university.
    okay thank you ! and If you don't mind me asking, what did you get at Alevel and what uni did you go to (hope this does come across as creepy )

ReputationRep:
    okay thank you ! and If you don't mind me asking, what did you get at Alevel and what uni did you go to (hope this does come across as creepy )
    Haha, it's okay! I bombed my A levels (not in the good way) and got BBC and ED in my AS levels. I went to the University of Glasgow (somehow), got a 2.1 and now studying for a master's. You can do it, you will be more than fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    you should still have plenty of options with those predictions assuming you don't want to do history. perhaps the school expected you all to teach yourselves and unfortunately unless you want to attempt a transfer or filing a proper complaint i cant see there being much you can do.
    I would like to go on to study something business related at university so I figured I don't have to stress out about it being a subject I actually wanted to do and yeh my school is pretty much a 'teach yourself if you don't know' place depending on the department but what I was annoyed at was the fact that I was looking at some Russell group uni's who are expecting the grades I predicted myself...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I would like to go on to study something business related at university so I figured I don't have to stress out about it being a subject I actually wanted to do and yeh my school is pretty much a 'teach yourself if you don't know' place depending on the department but what I was annoyed at was the fact that I was looking at some Russell group uni's who are expecting the grades I predicted myself...
    As history won't be relevant at all, I wouldn't panic you could still apply to a couple of universities that want AAB then go for less risky choices for your other three. On the plus side university is independent study so at least it wont be such a shock to the system for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubone-r)
    Haha, it's okay! I bombed my A levels (not in the good way) and got BBC and ED in my AS levels. I went to the University of Glasgow (somehow), got a 2.1 and now studying for a master's. You can do it, you will be more than fine!
    Thats so good ! Thank you for the reassurance, I think ill just try to do better for the real exams

ReputationRep:
    Thats so good ! Thank you for the reassurance, I think ill just try to do better for the real exams
    Yeah, just do your best, that is all anyone can ask of you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    As history won't be relevant at all, I wouldn't panic you could still apply to a couple of universities that want AAB then go for less risky choices for your other three. On the plus side university is independent study so at least it wont be such a shock to the system for you.
    That is very true and yeh I think I will still try to apply to one or two of them. Thank you

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.