Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Im Pakistani girl and I'm gonna be entering year 13 in September and I need some help or tips to convince my parents to send me to a uni away from home if need be.

So far the units I like is UCL, Warwick , Nottingham and uni of Birmingham. I live in Birmingham and want to study computer science.

I really would love to go to UCL and if not then Warwick. I know Warwick is far but I won't move out for it but London is far and my mom doesn't understand that some UNIs are just better than others in many aspects but she says that if need be she will happily send me to UCL but she doesn't sound sure or happy when she says it. I guess I'm asking for tips to convince her properly.

I know that it's hard in my 'culture' also all my cousins or family members have not gone to uni or have gone to a uni closely that I would definitely not want to go to.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Pakistani, and can understand where your coming from. I think you should sit with your mum and tell her how ambitious you are. Tell her the reasons why don't want to go to a specific university e.g. the atmosphere is bad (exaggerate a little if needs be). Ask her why she doesn't want you to go and let her know you will never let her down and to let her trust you as you are old and mature enough to make decisions for yourself now. I hope she listens, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    If you like in Birmingham it would actually be possible for you to commute to Warwick
    New Street to Coventry is only 20 minutes and there are constant buses going to Warwick uni from Coventry station

You could try convince your mum to let you live in halls first year, then commute for the rest.

ReputationRep:
    Find a positive female role model from a similar background to yours and show your mum how proud of you she will be when you do the same.

ReputationRep:
    my area of expertise here

try and find a uni where youre able to travel to by train/car and come home easily- maybe an hour away?

my parents didnt want me to, but with research and persuasion they let me

it makes you independant, learn the value of money, they need to know that they can trust you, learn how to live in the real world with being dependent on anyone.
    living out has made me more liberal, and i really think the experience is worth it, these uni Uni wont come back :yep:

having female friends of the same religion will help, your parents will be reassured too, flatmates etc are part of the uni life experience- you cant really chose them!

PM me if you need any advice- i had to spend 2 hours persuading mine to let me stay out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlishaS786)
    I'm a Pakistani, and can understand where your coming from. I think you should sit with your mum and tell her how ambitious you are. Tell her the reasons why don't want to go to a specific university e.g. the atmosphere is bad (exaggerate a little if needs be). Ask her why she doesn't want you to go and let her know you will never let her down and to let her trust you as you are old and mature enough to make decisions for yourself now. I hope she listens, good luck!
    Thank you so much I have tried talking to her and she kinda agrees with me and let's me do stuff but she does seem happy when she says I can go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Strawberry68)
    If you like in Birmingham it would actually be possible for you to commute to Warwick
    New Street to Coventry is only 20 minutes and there are constant buses going to Warwick uni from Coventry station

You could try convince your mum to let you live in halls first year, then commute for the rest.
    Yes if. I go to Warwick I'm just going to commute but that wasn't my concern. I really want to UCL or Nottingham or something but for them I'd have to move, Warwick is just a backup if my mom doesn't agree

ReputationRep:
    W
    (Original post by CleverSquirrel)
    my area of expertise here

try and find a uni where youre able to travel to by train/car and come home easily- maybe an hour away?

my parents didnt want me to, but with research and persuasion they let me

it makes you independant, learn the value of money, they need to know that they can trust you, learn how to live in the real world with being dependent on anyone.
    living out has made me more liberal, and i really think the experience is worth it, these uni Uni wont come back :yep:

having female friends of the same religion will help, your parents will be reassured too, flatmates etc are part of the uni life experience- you cant really chose them!

PM me if you need any advice- i had to spend 2 hours persuading mine to let me stay out!
    Thank you this was really helpful. Yes my top units I want to go is UCL or Warwick, Warwick is just there either if I don't get into UCL or if my mom won't let me go. I have a lot of friends of the same religion and some of the same background but my mom isn't really involved in my life as much for example I have to go places and do stuff for myself, my mom doesn't understand the whole uni thing so I go to open days with my friends and stuff but she says I can move out but she doesn't seem happy when she says it.

Did u move out then? And what uni did u go to,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minionez)
    W

Thank you this was really helpful. Yes my top units I want to go is UCL or Warwick, Warwick is just there either if I don't get into UCL or if my mom won't let me go. I have a lot of friends of the same religion and some of the same background but my mom isn't really involved in my life as much for example I have to go places and do stuff for myself, my mom doesn't understand the whole uni thing so I go to open days with my friends and stuff but she says I can move out but she doesn't seem happy when she says it.

Did u move out then? And what uni did u go to,
    ahh okay i see, dont worry she'll come around!

and i did, and i went to winchester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minionez)
    Im Pakistani girl and I'm gonna be entering year 13 in September and I need some help or tips to convince my parents to send me to a uni away from home if need be.

So far the units I like is UCL, Warwick , Nottingham and uni of Birmingham. I live in Birmingham and want to study computer science.

I really would love to go to UCL and if not then Warwick. I know Warwick is far but I won't move out for it but London is far and my mom doesn't understand that some UNIs are just better than others in many aspects but she says that if need be she will happily send me to UCL but she doesn't sound sure or happy when she says it. I guess I'm asking for tips to convince her properly.

I know that it's hard in my 'culture' also all my cousins or family members have not gone to uni or have gone to a uni closely that I would definitely not want to go to.
    I'm Pakistani too and I had to spend hours convincing my parents to let me move out. I start in September. They still insist that I go to my local uni but I've already made my decision and they've started to accept it. You gotta convince them of the benefits of moving out rather than staying at home. You'll be more independent so you'll have to fend for yourself which means that you will learn a lot of skills. Moving away may also lead to a better social life seeing as you'll be living with other students, rather than at home with parents. Also, UCL is one of the best unis in the country based on reputation, especially when compared to a couple of your other choices.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.